PDA

View Full Version : SH3 review.

SovietWishes
04-08-2005, 02:02 PM
As part of an up and coming gaming network I have been given the task of writing an SH3 reveiw, but as a game critic I feel a reveiw shouldn't be based on one mans thoughts and opinions. So I was wondering how YOU, the community would rate SH3 in the following areas:

Graphics:
Stabillity:
Replayability:
Sound effects:
Music:
Gameplay:
Overall:

Please rate the afformentioned areas on a scale of 1-10. 1 being the lowest possible rating, 10 being the highest.

Any comments (however short or long) are also welcome.

SovietWishes
04-08-2005, 02:02 PM
As part of an up and coming gaming network I have been given the task of writing an SH3 reveiw, but as a game critic I feel a reveiw shouldn't be based on one mans thoughts and opinions. So I was wondering how YOU, the community would rate SH3 in the following areas:

Graphics:
Stabillity:
Replayability:
Sound effects:
Music:
Gameplay:
Overall:

Please rate the afformentioned areas on a scale of 1-10. 1 being the lowest possible rating, 10 being the highest.

Any comments (however short or long) are also welcome.

Jim0322
04-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Graphics: 9.5
Stability: 7
Replayability: 7
Sound effects: 8.5
Music: 8
Gameplay: 8
Overall: 8

dquock
04-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Hi Soviet Wishes,

You'll have to link us up to the review when you complete it. Here's my wag on it.

Quick discussion on each point:
Graphics - Graphics on my ATI card are gorgeous. I've had one video glitch so far. The only thing that hurt is the compatibility between some NVidia drivers.

Stability - I've had a few crashes to the desktop which I could not replicate. Overall, the game seems pretty solid. I hear about lots of problems, but since I haven't run into them, my score will be rather high.

Replayability - I love the multiplayer random missions and the dynamic campaigns. I think there's a great potential for replayability, but I'm still on my first career.

Sound effects - Great sound effects. They add to the game.

Music - Music is pretty good, but repeats quickly. However, the ability to play mp3s is very nice.

Gameplay - Allows a wide range of tailoring skill levels and game play. You can go "arcade style" up to simulation. A subsim will never have the pace of a first person shooter, so my score is coming from a "what do I expect from a subsim game?" perspective.

So here are my numbers:

Graphics: 9
Stability: 9
Replayability: 8.5 (?)
Sound effects: 9
Music: 7
Gameplay: 9
Overall: 9

KiwiVenge
04-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Will depend a lot on the computer it is being tested on.
For mine (P4 3000, gig DDR and 6600gt vid card) I will give it these ratings.

Graphics [9]
Awesome really. It being a sub sim I was taken aback by how good they are. Never really thought graphics would be so good for a gameplay intensive game like a sub sim

Stability [8]
A single CTD caused by my backgroup progs. Bugs at first release but the dev team is/are on it real fast.

Replayability [8]
Is a tough call because I am still on my first career. I may of understated this one, it may be closer to a 9.

Sound effects [7]
Are well done.

Music [8]
Well done also. Can add your own as well so the rating is really up to you on this one. You make it what you want it to be.

Gameplay [10]
This is the real strength of SH3 imho. The gameplay is absolutely wondeful. As it should be seeing how we are talking a sim here. The rest is just sweet candy which is very much appreciated.

Overall [9]
One of the best games I have played for years. The overall is higher than my average scores but that is because the gameplay should be an 11 or 12. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SovietWishes
04-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Great numbers and comments so far http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif . Keep them coming.

Also forgot to mention in my original post that the provided numbers will be averaged out, and your comments will be included (with credit to you, the posters of course)

SubQual
04-08-2005, 03:09 PM
SW,

Good luck with the website, look forward to seeing it. I just did a review of SH this week on my radio show. Since radio does not translate well into text I will try and re-write the comments :-)

Graphics: 8 ( Excellent graphics but still a shade short of perfect. If this was a relative comparision to just naval simulations the rating would be a 9.5 However in an overall comparision to all gaming an 8.0 is an accurate representation)

Stability: 8 ( I would rate it a 10 after my experiences with Rome Total Wat :-) I have had only one minor glitch, the big circle thing on origial run from the shortcut. That alone would only put it back to a 9.5 however I must take into account the other complaints I have heard about bugs and crashes. I can still rate an 8 due to my experiences, overall very stable for me)

Replayability: 9 (I have run three campaigns, basically started over fairly early on with each. Each has had a different feel right from the start. While the base game play is the same the campaigns felt unique.)

Sound Effects: 9.5 (Awesome work with the sound, would beneift from use of EAX but as close to perfect for sound effects as you can get.)

Music: 7 (While you can tweak this a true review looks at what you get and not what you can switch to. The music is okay but I think some period authentic songs and such mixed in would have been really nice. Excellent potential but they just missed the boat.)

Gameplay: 9.5 (They have done an awesome job of trying to balance the realism of a sim with the fun of a game. The play allows you to have fun with the game but still get a feel of the way a Sub Captain might have had to work things.)

Overall: 9.0 (The average of above is 8.5 but I give another 0.5 for the intangables. This game is a serious evolution in the genre. It brings something with it deeper than the base descriptions can state. It does in essence become greater than the sum of it's parts.)

SovietWishes
04-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Alright, thanks for your input guys. I'll be writing up the reveiw when I get the time and will post the link because I think I remember someone asking for it.

Pentallion
04-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Graphics: 8.5
Stabillity:7.0
Replayability:9.5
Sound effects:9.0
Music:9.0
Gameplay:10.0
Overall:9.8

Hertston
04-09-2005, 01:45 AM
I'm puzzled by;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> but as a game critic I feel a review shouldn't be based on one mans thoughts and opinions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely that's exactly what it should be based on? You need input on stability issues and such, but apart from that people reading your review want to know what you (after reasonably extensive play-testing) think, not a mish-mash of anonymous others. If they want the opinion of others (its always smart to read several, as you now) there are plenty more out there.

Gouldjg
04-09-2005, 02:02 AM
Graphics: 8, 10 if I had a better card

Stabillity: 7

Replayability:8 untill I learn manual 100% realism then it will be 10

Sound effects:8.5 due to the annoying popping bolts and the yeaah shout by crew.

Music:5 always turn it off.

Gameplay:10.0

Overall: 9 Great game that will get better when more community created work comes onto scene. One of those games that will be played for at least a couple of years.