PDA

View Full Version : Landing on carriers

idahosniper
04-27-2006, 03:52 PM
I've been having a lot of trouble lately trying to land on a carrier in the cockpit view. I really can't see the carrier over the nose so I don't know when to cut the throttle.
So the question is: Is there a better way of doing it that I don't know or is there a LSO like CFS2 had? Thanks

idahosniper
04-27-2006, 03:52 PM
I've been having a lot of trouble lately trying to land on a carrier in the cockpit view. I really can't see the carrier over the nose so I don't know when to cut the throttle.
So the question is: Is there a better way of doing it that I don't know or is there a LSO like CFS2 had? Thanks

VW-IceFire
04-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Game doesn't support a LSO so no on that count.

The best method is to do it like a British carrier pilot. They perfected this method with Corsairs.

Basically you fly towards the back of the carrier, fly over the deck, fly past, make a 90 degree turn (to the left), fly a short distance, make another 90 degree turn, fly back (keep an eye on the carrier out the window), make another turn towards the carrier and basically what you want is to angle in on a turn so that you can see the carrier out the side.

Someone had a diagram around here that was better at explaining it...

Low_Flyer_MkVb
04-27-2006, 04:01 PM
It's all a matter of practice. Some very good tips here:-
http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_carriertutorial.htm

Rightly or wrongly, I try to slow my plane down until I judge it's going to stall right over the stern of the Carrier. Historically, the Corsair came in on a curved approach to assist with seeing over the long nose...hope it helps.

edit: I see IceFire beat me to it with the Corsair business http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Treetop64
04-27-2006, 04:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Low_Flyer_MkVb:
It's all a matter of practice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said. And lots of it.

Try landing in the F4 Wilcats. They have docile low speed handling, and good visibility over the nose. Though you still wont be able to see much of the carrier, anyway. You just have to develop an "eye" for where it is on finals.

Also, note that you will have to come in at a steeper approach angle just so that you can at least see some of the carrier over your nose, usually just the bow and the tops of the stacks.

However, the key is practice, practice, and more practice!

Moreover - and this is important - when you are on finals, adjust your altitude with the throttle, not the elevator, and adjust your speed with the elevator, not the throttle! That sounds counter-intuitive if you're not familiar with this concept, but trust me: if you have your aircraft's attitude, speed, and trim set up correctly, then it will work, both in the real-world and in the game.

Just keep practicin', dood, and don't give up! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

NonWonderDog
04-27-2006, 05:02 PM
If you want to do it realistically, you're supposed to execute an overhead approach. This is as much to let the flight land as quickly as possible as to let you see the carrier over the nose, so it's the preferred method for land bases, as well.

Fly over the carrier at 1000' ASL, on the carrier's heading. A few seconds after you pass the carrier, make a descending 180 degree left turn to 500' ASL. Once you pass the carrier again, make a descending 180 degree left turn to final. You should be ready to flare and land immediately after the final turn. If you're too far behind you will probably lose sight of the carrier at the most critical point of the maneuver -- not what you want to do. You should be able to keep the carrier in view at all times during final approach, if executed correctly. You have to keep your speed down throughout, so make sure you slow to flap speed before you make your turns. If you need to, you might want to start at a lower altitude; I don't know the actual pattern altitude the Navy used.

The maneuver is fairly difficult, so I would suggest using the practice field first. That's what it's there for, after all.

Dew-Claw
04-27-2006, 05:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NonWonderDog:
If you want to do it realistically, you're supposed to execute an overhead approach. This is as much to let the flight land as quickly as possible as to let you see the carrier over the nose, so it's the preferred method for land bases, as well.

Fly over the carrier at 1000' ASL, on the carrier's heading. A few seconds after you pass the carrier, make a descending 180 degree left turn to 500' ASL. Once you pass the carrier again, make a descending 180 degree left turn to final. You should be ready to flare and land immediately after the final turn. If you're too far behind you will probably lose sight of the carrier at the most critical point of the maneuver -- not what you want to do. You should be able to keep the carrier in view at all times during final approach, if executed correctly.

The maneuver is fairly difficult, so I would suggest using the practice field first. That's what it's there for, after all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And don't forget, on many of the carrier based aircraft, you can open the canopy and raise the seat for better visability.

JG53Frankyboy
04-27-2006, 05:15 PM
F4F , F4U and A6M can raise their seats in game.

domenlovrec
04-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Aim slightly above carrier, and when you get closer, use smoke or ship bridge for orientation.