PDA

View Full Version : Focus on the issues

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 02:10 AM
I'm so glad to see the long awaited patch finally announced. Perhaps it will help abate the frustration that has been growing in these forums. I do get tired, though, of what has become the standard cop-out label of "whiner" or "whining" that gets slapped on anything other than praise. The purpose of Oleg's Ready Room is to provide a forum for feedback to the game developer. Why? Obviously so that he could assess the player's (see also: market) impressions of his product. It is nigh impossible for a handful of beta testers working a few weeks to identify as many issues as the many thousands of players are sure to find in time. To his credit, Oleg has set himself apart from every other sim developer by providing this feedback tool for improving his product. Sure, you're going to get the full range of complaints...some valid and high value, some idiotic and worthless. BUT, Oleg is intelligent enough to separate the two. He may not always agree with you, but I do believe he listens. The high value group provides good information that may actually help shape future improvements. The worthless group seems to draw even more worthless reaction which does nothing to further the goal of improving the sim. Do you think it would server anyone's interest if no one had mentioned the fact that it doesnt' seem right that a Mk 108 cannon can take out a four engine bomber with one or two shots, but can't take out a P-51 or P-47 with less than four? Would these people fit the label of whiners? I don't think so, or Oleg would not have taken another look at weapon lethality and patched it. Name calling serves no useful purpose and only tends to offend and polarize people. The very people who so easily resort to name calling would, themselves, be offended if they were unjustly labeled. In this forum it seems that if you don't agree with someone's position, they get the whiner label. If you do agree...no whiner label. It's an open forum (for the most part), so you can say what you want, but I long for the day when people can focus on the issues in clear, intelligent ways and not resort to sophomoric name calling just because they don't agree with what is being said.

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 02:10 AM
I'm so glad to see the long awaited patch finally announced. Perhaps it will help abate the frustration that has been growing in these forums. I do get tired, though, of what has become the standard cop-out label of "whiner" or "whining" that gets slapped on anything other than praise. The purpose of Oleg's Ready Room is to provide a forum for feedback to the game developer. Why? Obviously so that he could assess the player's (see also: market) impressions of his product. It is nigh impossible for a handful of beta testers working a few weeks to identify as many issues as the many thousands of players are sure to find in time. To his credit, Oleg has set himself apart from every other sim developer by providing this feedback tool for improving his product. Sure, you're going to get the full range of complaints...some valid and high value, some idiotic and worthless. BUT, Oleg is intelligent enough to separate the two. He may not always agree with you, but I do believe he listens. The high value group provides good information that may actually help shape future improvements. The worthless group seems to draw even more worthless reaction which does nothing to further the goal of improving the sim. Do you think it would server anyone's interest if no one had mentioned the fact that it doesnt' seem right that a Mk 108 cannon can take out a four engine bomber with one or two shots, but can't take out a P-51 or P-47 with less than four? Would these people fit the label of whiners? I don't think so, or Oleg would not have taken another look at weapon lethality and patched it. Name calling serves no useful purpose and only tends to offend and polarize people. The very people who so easily resort to name calling would, themselves, be offended if they were unjustly labeled. In this forum it seems that if you don't agree with someone's position, they get the whiner label. If you do agree...no whiner label. It's an open forum (for the most part), so you can say what you want, but I long for the day when people can focus on the issues in clear, intelligent ways and not resort to sophomoric name calling just because they don't agree with what is being said.

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 07:23 AM
amen

----------------------------------------

USA, ALL THE WAY!!
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/362000-362999/362642_1_full.jpg
P-51, it "won the war"

don't forget to take it easy, and if it's easy, take it twice.

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 08:17 AM
Agree with you completely ZG77_Spectre. Good post.

How many good posts have Oleg and Co missed due to them being buried under a mountain of pointless attacks?

Since this program appears to be turning into a European air sim, would you begrudge someone who wanted, say, the Med or Norway theatre(s) mapped? If so, why?

----------------------------------------

Beauty is only skin deep. Ugly, on the other hand goes all the way to the
bone.

Lt.Percy: "If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do ?"
Blackadder: "Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area."

Message Edited on 07/19/0307:41AM by Owl_NZ

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 09:41 AM
If we had mods that actually cared about keeping the place free of flamers and trolls...things would be MUCH different around here. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Instead, we seem to have mods that ARE trolls and flamers or are stuck in some kind of grade-school popularity mode (I want everyone to like me! lol).

Of course, the so-called community manager is MIA with no return in sight! ***SNORT***

Cheers,

<CENTER>http://home1.gte.net/vze23gyt/files/p51_jaws.jpg</CENTER><CENTER><font size="+1"><div style="width:500;color:#FF2211;fontsize:11pt;filter:shado w Blur[color=red,strength=2)">73h /\/\u$7@/\/6 |*\/\//\/-/_ j00</div></center></font><FONT color="#59626B">[b]

Message Edited on 07/19/0304:42AM by TaZ_Attack

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 10:02 AM
Good post.

A thread in which I'd asked Oleg to post no more Development Updates (referring to spectacular new features or planes) but to finally post the patch got locked by Euro_Snoopy with the remark 'no more patch whining'.

That comment was inadequate. When people provide feedback, or request fixes to existing shortcomings or bugs, that's not whining, but justified, both as feedback and requests.

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 10:26 AM
So right, so right!!

www.f19vs.tk (http://www.f19vs.tk)

http://www.gbg.bonet.se/bjorta/F19-Gazoo-IDCard-sm.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Good post - Watch it get locked for being Off Topic /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

JG5_UnKle

"Know and use all the capabilities of your airplane. If you don't sooner or later, somebody who does, will kick your ***"

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/victoria.stevens/jg5_logo.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 12:50 PM
Salute !!!

<Center><div style="width:700;colorhttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gifurple;font-size:14pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=black,strength=11)"><Center>
I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold
I am alive forevermore.
I am the Alpha and the Omega
the Begining and the End.</div> <center>

<center><FONT COLOR="white">ӚFJ M œ R D ˜ ӡ[/i]</FONT>

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 02:05 PM
Heres a real big Issue!
The state of California USA.
In that single American State, they sell more sports cars of all kinds annualy than the rest of of the world combined annualy.
Why in the largest consumer market place on earth, did a cheap quality product like Forgotton Battles only sell 80,000 copies initially.

Why?

I could see that as being a real issue at 1C.

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Very good completely pointless post.

"degustibus non disputandum"

<center>http://carguy.w.interia.pl/tracki/sig23d.jpg

<center>"Weder Tod noch Teufel!"</font>[/B]</center> (http://www.jzg23.de>[B]<font)

Message Edited on 07/19/0303:28PM by carguy_