PDA

View Full Version : Did the AI go back to flight school?

DarkStar68
10-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Just wondering if the AI was tweeked for air to air combat. Maybe i'm just getting rusty or it's the new FM but I have noticed an increased intelligence of the AI making evasive maneuvers after the new patch.

Me in my 109 7/z vs. two MkVb's - (average skill) - I have never seen the AI perform so many diving barrel rolls trying to shake me along with other hard maneuvers.

If changes were made to the AI - I like it very much. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

danjama
10-21-2005, 03:15 PM
P51 AI are very VERY good! Take one for a "ride" in a 109G10, i put ride in "" because they will paint the walls with you hehe.

SeaFireLIV
10-21-2005, 03:39 PM
AI has defintely been tweaked. The Readme mentions fighter bombing AI`s been changed, but I believe that their ability to fight on after a few hits to the wing has been changed too...

3.JG51_BigBear
10-21-2005, 03:47 PM
They definitely seem to be staying in the fight longer whereas minor damage would have them hitting the silk right away in 4.01. They also seem to be more aggressive, especially in the fighters with good turn performance. I was getting sloppy with the Focke Wulf against the AI, even going toe to toe when I knew I shouldn't have in the last patch but now the AI demands a lot more respect and I definitely need to stick to the energy tactics.

TooCooL34
10-21-2005, 04:22 PM
In single play Banzai in Zero, I met a formation of Wildcats. After a few minutes of fight, one Wildcat take the altitude advantage and started BnZ on me.
Then what the heck, that AI pilot BnZed just like veteran 190 pilot in WarClouds!! Boom, shoot and zoom away and regain energy and turn around and boom again 3 times. I even got minor scratch despite my knife evasive turn. That guy was definitely better than human opponent in BnZ. I could defeat him with the help of my wingmen who cut down his energy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Combat AI has advanced and advanced that it finally became a tough competitor, from 4.02. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Monty_Thrud
10-21-2005, 04:53 PM
The AI has definately been to night class...but its still to early to tell...but so far a big http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif...thank you chaps...onwards and upwards http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Taylortony
10-21-2005, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE]Just wondering if the AI was tweeked for air to air combat. Maybe i'm just getting rusty or it's the new FM but I have noticed an increased intelligence of the AI making evasive maneuvers after the new patch.QUOTE]

Yep they far exceed most of the online flyers intelligence wise now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Low_Flyer_MkII
10-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Just felt like some hot one on one bi-plane action, so I took on a Fiat in a Gladiator/J8A...slow, twisty, turny, loopy...I chased the Fiat so low trees were flashing past the upper wing, then he pulled his master stroke...ripped his own landing gear off against the ground as I followed him down and flipped over to slide to an undignified halt. The bounder then had the cheek to calmly fly off, looking not unlike a Russian I153 with raised gear.

Improved cunning for the AI or yet more Low Flyer ineptitude? You decide.

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2005, 05:23 PM
AI has improved greatly, flying P39N1 at Kursk Disasters over the Frontiers, the flight I was with got bounced by 2 FW190As which are hard enough to deal with as it was in 4.01, I knew one was coming down on me from above, I tried a 1/4 roll & turn & thought I had got away, no one burst & its the first time I have had the instrument pannel on the P39 shattered, I was still alive though.
Another chasing FW190 in cloudy conditions, lost him in cloud, thought no big deal. I must have overshot him, as I climbed out of the clouds I proceeded to get the P39 shot from out of feet, & you are right the AI evasion technique has improved out of site

quasimodo_3
10-21-2005, 05:23 PM
they're better when the action is hot, but after everyone has emptied their magazines and is returning to base at the end of a successful mission in QMB, there's still the occasional AI plowing into the ground instead of circling the landing field.

LEXX_Luthor
10-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Low::
Improved cunning for the AI or yet more Low Flyer ineptitude? You decide.
~> Ineptitude

Who would slide a J8A onto the ground? Absolute Ineptitude. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MLudner
10-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Well, my first test was Bf-109G10 versus Ace La-7. It was a push; he could not get around on me and I could not keep up with him when behind him. In the end he gave up and left. Those barrel rolls I have seen often since 4.01. Early in on 4.01 I remember chasing a Spit IXe in a 109G10 flying along behind him as zigged and zagged, rolled and flipped along, exasperated by the fact that he never completed a single maneuver and every time I had laid my sights in his path and fired he had gone the other way. I was muttering "Just how the he!! am I supposed to hit this a--hole?!" Until I finally nailed him after a 20 minute chase. I did not notice much difference between the basic evasive maneuvers between then and now; same rolls, same unpredictable maneuvering. Perhaps, though, the AI Ace showed a greater tendency to try to get around on me rather than trying to defend itself. Perhaps.
My next test was too quick; Ace A6M2-21 versus P-39D2. I creamed the Zero in the initial head-on and he went past me as a fireball.

Call_me_Kanno
10-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Yep they far exceed most of the online flyers intelligence wise now

That is a sad and disturbing observance.

But I think the AI has got more I in this patch too.

Enforcer572005
10-21-2005, 07:06 PM
im curious to how much improvement in slamming into hills and crashing on landing unless you order them to return to base there is. i know one observation above noted its still there, but i havent had time to fly for several days and wonder if its as bad.

ploughman
10-22-2005, 05:33 AM
4.01m the AI would eventually fly into the ground if you chased it hard enough, generally whilst performing a barrel roll Now it doesn't. I can still kick its **** though.

jds1978
10-22-2005, 06:32 AM
AI's ACM seem better...

there seems to be a lot less "mishaps" when ordering your AI flights to change formation

AI will now fight on w/ small ammounts of damage

one question: has any one else noticed that the AI will now run for home if it's getting creamed in the first few minutes of the fight?
if you waste 1/2 or so of it's AC early on i've noticed that it senses that the jig is up, time to run home.

SeaFireLIV
10-22-2005, 08:11 AM
I was flying after a 109 over Leningrad in my new shiny Spifire Vb (a nice change after the I16). I hit him a few times then ran outta ammo, the AI flew real low to the ground to get away. with empty guns I kept really close behind him, hoping to fake him into the ground, to my joy he made a panic turn (not a barrel roll) scraped the ground, tried to recover and exploded! I felt (and saw in cockpit) my aircraft physically jump from the shockwave of the explosion (FF).

Priceless. it was great to fake out the 109 and get the kill!

But they are also extremely dangerous. Our AI Squad and I were decimated by 6 109s. After I saw more than half our aircraft get shot down, I ran with my wingman following, with 2 109s chasing. As I neared home I saw 4 dots high coming in the opposite direction. Friendlies? To my shock they were 109s - they dove in for a bite too.

I twisted and turned, but with 109s not only shooting from the rear, but left and right approaches I was in deep trouble. My wingman bit the dust almost instantly and it wasn`t long before I took severe damaged and ploughed into the sea. Boy, they were ferocious, pre-4.01 I usually won the fights in a Spit Vb... or maybe we just met a bunch of LW Aces..