PDA

View Full Version : Trouble hosting a game over in game IP connection

judgerw
03-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Hey all. I'm brand new to trying this, but I've trolled these boards over the last couple days to try and figure it out.

I'm trying to host a game through the in game Multiplay option. I've got port 21000 persitently forwarded, I've got the Windows firewall down, I've got anti-virus off. The guy I'm trying to play with is still unable to connect to me to play a game.

We tried through Hyperlobby also, and he can't connect to me if I'm hosting a game there either. We can play together on a server in Hyperlobby, but I'd rather play with just the two of us (at least for a while).

When I host the server I give him my external IP address (the one I get from whatismyip.com), I start the server, load the mission, choose an aircraft, and hit "Fly" (the first time). I've then waited there and looked for his name to show up in the player list. He tries to connect using my IP followed by the :21000 and just times out. We've tried without the :21000 as well, still with no luck. So, I'm stuck.

I'm using a Microsoft MN700 wireless router. Any ideas?

hshmulik
03-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Had a similar problem with a different router/firewll box. Since I couldn't get it to do static forwarding, a friend suggested that I configure the router to put the hosting PC on the DMZ - this is the only way I managed to succeed. Only thing is, when you're in the DMZ, your PC is protected only by the Windows firewall. Not sure how safe that is.

Also, for IP forwarding, you must use a static IP address, and not the one you're getting from the router's DHCP.

judgerw
03-21-2007, 08:46 AM
I've tried adding the PC I'm using to the DMZ, but everytime I do that I just lose the ability to connect to the internet. When I plug in the Static IP for the DMZ, I'm using the one I created when I first set up a static IP. Though when I look at the router's home page, it looks like my gaming PC has a different address (i.e. I don't see my static IP in there, it's a different last three digits). Do I need to enter the address the router is giving me? Is it because I'm entering the wrong address that I totally lose connectivity?

dbillo
03-21-2007, 09:07 AM
You should be able to get it to work without resorting to DMZ. It sounds like you've got the port forwarding done, but just check here to make sure you've done it right:

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forward...soft/MN-700/IL-2.htm (http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Microsoft/MN-700/IL-2.htm)

Setting up a static internal IP address is ideal, but not absolutely necessary. If you have only one or a couple computers on your network, and you limit the range of DCHP addresses the router hands out, it's not unusual to get the same address all the time. You can also set the lease period as long as possible, like a week, and as long as the IP you get matches the IP you set up in port forwarding, it will be fine.

Similarly, you can set up the proper exceptions in the XP firewall so you don't have to shut it down to host, but if you've tried with it shut down, then at least that is eliminated. Same for antivirus.

Some things for you and your friend to check are that you have your game set up to host on port 21000. That's the default, but just confirm by running il2setup and looking at the "Network" tab. Make sure 21000 is in the Port: box. While you're on that tab, also see if you might have and IP Address: pulldown, with more than one address listed. This can happen if you have multiple network cards installed. If that's the case, make sure the correct address is selected there.

judgerw
03-22-2007, 09:03 PM
I've tried all of these things, with no luck. I can't even get the DMZ to work, it just dumps my connection all together. I've tried every setting and every IP (local) I can find to plug in, but no matter what combination I try my bud can't connect to my game. Does the new 1946 game have any kind of more friendly multiplayer? Or is it still the same?

MaxMhz
03-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by judgerw:
I've tried adding the PC I'm using to the DMZ, but everytime I do that I just lose the ability to connect to the internet. When I plug in the Static IP for the DMZ, I'm using the one I created when I first set up a static IP. Though when I look at the router's home page, it looks like my gaming PC has a different address (i.e. I don't see my static IP in there, it's a different last three digits). Do I need to enter the address the router is giving me? Is it because I'm entering the wrong address that I totally lose connectivity?
Call your ISP and ask if they use a 'transparent proxy' for your connection and if so how to circumvent it or get it switched off... might be tricky.
Don't use window's firewall it's no firewall at-all; use a commercial one like Agnitum's Outpost or ZoneAlarm, Don't use Norton or McAfee - they're huge resource hogs and will half your bandwidth.

RxMan
03-23-2007, 07:26 AM
BTW you should start the game as a dogfight (not coop) or once the host hits fly no one can join.

Troll2k
03-23-2007, 10:55 AM
I think you are barking up the wrong tree.The multiplay button in the main menu is for LAN games only.Not for playing over the internet.

You can use a 3rd party software program called Hamachi( http://www.hamachi.cc ) to play lan games over the internet.

To play host over the internet you need to create a game in one of the available lobbies such as Hyperlobby,All Seeing Eye or Ubi.com.

In Hyperlobby you can create a 2 player game and password protect it so only your friend can join.(you must have same game version number)

dbillo
03-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Troll2k:
I think you are barking up the wrong tree.The multiplay button in the main menu is for LAN games only.Not for playing over the internet.
The multiplay on the main menu works just fine for hosting over the Internet, as well as for joining. Hyperlobby is great, but it's really just automating what you can do through the multiplay menus.

judgerw
03-23-2007, 03:36 PM
I've tried hosting at HyperLobby, and I get the same thing there. He can't connect to me. I've also tried waiting for him to connect at every junction when hosting coop (i.e. looking at the map, looking at the pilot roster slots, and looking at the final screen (where you can kick people or click fly again)) with no luck. I've just got something going on that's totally blocking it.

judgerw
03-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, have any of you guys tried PortMapper with Pacific Fighters? I wont be able to try until Monday probably, but at least it's one more thing to give a whirl.

judgerw
03-27-2007, 09:29 PM
For those of you keeping track at home, PortMapper didn't solve it either. I'm now wondering if the issue is on my buddies machine.

dbillo
03-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Well, you mentioned that both of you can join another server on Hyperlobby, so it would appear it's not an issue for either of you to join. It's only an issue when you host.

What about having your friend host and you join? Did you try that?

What about borrowing a different router? Or is it possible to take the router out of the equation entirely by connecting directly to modem for a brief test? The idea being to narrow down the list of possible sources of the problem.

judgerw
03-28-2007, 07:19 AM
Good point about joining on HyperLobby. I'm on a wireless connection, but I might try to get a long cord and give that direct connection a go.