PDA

View Full Version : uc-97 project..any new news?..long read..

bunkerratt
12-03-2005, 09:40 PM
As a great lakes wreck diver, I havnt heard anything new, has anybody else? I thought this might be a nice read in the forum. This wreck lies about 19 miles off Wilmette, IL. A German U boat, spotted by a sailor from a Great Lakes freighter in the middle of Lake Michigan. On August 16th 1919, scared the daylights out of him but the ship was only a harmless war prize, brought to the United States, after Germanys defeat in WW I. The German Mine laying submarine UC 97 launched at Hamburg on March 17th, 1918 and technically, renamed the USS Ex UC 97. When the US Navy took over her command was towed around Great Lakes ports, to stimulate the sale of post war victory bonds, by giving the buyers a close up view of an enemy submarine. The Treaty of Versailles which ended WW I called for the destruction of all German weapons of war within 3 years of confiscation, accordingly on June 7th 1921 the USS Hawk towed the German sub out into the middle of Lake Michigan and the Navy training ship the USS Wilmette used her as target practice. 18 rounds of 4 inch shells put the submarine on the bottom. The aproximate location is from the log of the Hawk. Reportedly the Navy located the submarine in 1977 with verification given by the combined Great Lakes Naval Association from their vessel Neptune and in 1992 A & T Recovery a commercial salvage company also located the wreck. In spite of its bombardment the UC 97 appears to be upright and quite intact with a slight starboard list according to remote operated video shown recently to the public her number UC 97 is clearly visible. Since 1993 plans have been in the works to raise and restore the UC 97 and to place her next to the WW II submarine U 505 on exhibit at the museum of science and industry in Chicago. Position Loran lat. 42 10 lon. 087 20 Depth 250 feet

blue_76
12-03-2005, 11:27 PM
that would be great to see, i'm not that far away from chicago. i hope they restored her.

bunkerratt
12-03-2005, 11:48 PM
right..i'm about 2.5 hrs away myself..when the whether gets in a few mths i'll go down and see the new 505 exibit i have a few pics yet from the old exibit taken in 2000 ..but to have the uc-97 would be a real rare thing to behold... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

bunkerratt
12-05-2005, 11:22 AM
we should plan a gathering @the 505 during the summer .... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif