PDA

View Full Version : IL-2 Sturmovik realistic flight sim announced for console

societysfault
06-09-2008, 10:00 AM
yep, thats right guys. IL-2 Sturmovik has been announced for consoles!! rejoice!! the game will focus heavily on online modes. due out in the U.S. in 2009.
it just goes to prove that these games can be made for console, and at least there is a developer out there willing to take the chance.
The developer is a russian dev company, that doesnt have nearly the money that these other devs and publishers do, but they are bring us the goods we want. im buying two copys for sure.
This game has been hailed as one the all time greatest flight sims ever, and 1c has stated that the console versions hardcore modes will be spot on with the pc version.

ohhh yeah!

RawKryptonite
06-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Amazing, someone willing to bring a flight *sim* to the console. They also released a cockpit shot right off the bat. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Nice example of a game maker putting out a game for enthusiasts of the genre, not just trying to reach out to the lowest common denominator gamer.

Ubisoft's "we want to reach everyone" attitude is what results in their luke-warm and dull games since the 360 came out. IL2 is *big* news and might save the 360 for many gamers who are getting fed up with nothing good coming out.

But the biggest question that most people will have is, how much did they dumb the game down for the Xbox 360? The answer is: not at all. Birds of Prey includes a simulation mode that is no different than the most strict simulation mode of the original PC title. Really. The flight model has not been simplified in the least for the Xbox 360, even though it was a challenge to make it work with the Xbox 360 controller. Don't worry, flight stick support is definitely included.

not just piloting fighters but heavy bombers and mid-sized hybrids as well....multiplayer will feature a couple of modes, some of them involving more strategic types of play than just regular old deathmatch

Thank you!

what should really get fans excited is the promise of a full simulation mode. Sure, this isn't most people's cup of tea, but for hardcore flight sim nerds (something I once called myself), it's a pretty exciting concept. It'll show the world that the Xbox 360 is capable of doing games that are as hardcore as anything the PC can offer.

Oh man, I can't wait. ;D

Keplager
06-09-2008, 10:53 AM
yea me too, IL-2 1946 is a great game, and I will be more than happy to see it ship out on the consoles, but how about something with jets next time. I mean, have they forgotten that some of us like to fly in eagles or MiG-29's? I feel sad right now. Someone hug me out of neglect for console jet games.

RawKryptonite
06-09-2008, 11:04 AM
A group of us have been playing the heck out of OGF again. It's got a lot going for it---but storyline is not one of those things. LOL
The more you play it the more you see good attention to certain details. We need a sequel to it. One of the few good games on the 360 IMO.

If IL2 does well, maybe we'll see something modern and realistic come out next.

societysfault
06-09-2008, 11:43 AM
yeah if i still had over-g, id play with you guys, but i got rid of it. There was never anyone playing it anymore. its good to hear that there are still people playing it though.
in your opinion is there enough of a community playing it to justify buying it again?
id like to jump back into the cockpit of my f-2b and rip it up. I bought that game when it came out, and played it for probably most of the year. how far back do you guys go on over-g? im just curious if i know any of you guys. on a side note its interesting, that ubisoft published the pc version of sturmovik, but they arent publishing this console version.

RawKryptonite
06-09-2008, 11:55 AM
I got it at release and played it a fair amount, but put it on the shelf, just playing every now and then. Went back to it not long ago and I'm appreciating it a lot more now, playing almost daily, noticing things I hadn't to begin with and playing it a lot better.

Normally we play private rooms, but when we've opened it to the public it fills right up. I'd say there's a more active community on OGF than on AC6 in fact.
Check out the 360th, a lot of info there:
http://www.freepowerboards.com/overg/index.php
I think OGF is just $20 now.

Keplager
06-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by RawKryptonite:
I got it at release and played it a fair amount, but put it on the shelf, just playing every now and then. Went back to it not long ago and I'm appreciating it a lot more now, playing almost daily, noticing things I hadn't to begin with and playing it a lot better.

Normally we play private rooms, but when we've opened it to the public it fills right up. I'd say there's a more active community on OGF than on AC6 in fact.
Check out the 360th, a lot of info there:
http://www.freepowerboards.com/overg/index.php
I think OGF is just $20 now.

I bought it on release as well. Great game I say. I fly my X-35C and own all who oppose me. If you guys play, around what time do you guys usually get on? When I get on I never see anyone and no one joins my games. My gamertag is Pyroflash, send me an invite and I will hook up with you guys some time.

Brettzies
06-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Man, I saw this on Friday and was so excited to come here and post only to find the forums were down all weekend.

Anyway, pretty much proof you can do a sim...even a light one...with gorgeous gfx and a cockpit view with working instruments. I don't even mind if HAWX is light on the flight dynmaics, just wish it was more along the lines of IL2 BoP. Oh well. Will be insteresting to see how it all turns out.

Keplager
06-09-2008, 04:52 PM
yes, actually you could say that OGF was very similar to IL-2 in terms of flight dynamics. They really need to come out with an OGF 2, it would own all air combat games for the consoles yet again. The only thing about the Console IL-2 is that I hope they include the little things like the K-14 sight, and the late era jet aircraft.

societysfault
06-09-2008, 07:55 PM
this is purely speculation, but i would say if the game does well then i would probably expect to see dlc. perhaps content from some of the expansion packs they already have out on pc, ie experimental jet aircraft and such.
still though, im really excited for the vintage stuff. i think it will be alot of fun. your going to be able to pull some awesome aerobatics in these birds that you cant do in a jet. i dont know, i plan to fly the sh1t out of these planes. i hope the yak is in the game, i assume it will be, but that is one fun little plane to fly.
its also a way cool way to pay tribute to all the awesome pilots that flew these old birds.
I am really liking the idea of just a man and his plane. no alarms, no fly by wire. just a guy and his flying machine. i think it should really separate the men from the boys when people cant just spam 5 missiles at you and turn away. its also really gonna encourage more team work. the only alarm system youll have, is when your buddys shouts " oh sh1t hes right on your tail!!" and then positions himself to assist you. oh yeah!!

DarkzeroPrime
06-09-2008, 08:00 PM
WWII sims are easier to make for consoles because there's no complex aviation electronics to simulate. To bad, World War II isn't my cup of tea. I only like modern jet sims.

RawKryptonite
06-09-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm wondering about the trim settings and how they'll handle that. Won't be missed if they're dropped though.
I prefer modern too, but I'll be glad to take a few of each if they're sims. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Tomcatter61
06-10-2008, 01:20 PM
At least somebody's got the right idea. Game looks sweet right now - and looks like it will be worthwhile since its not pandering to everyone's interests. Can't wait to tear things up in the ol' Spitfire. Bring it on, Goering.

Does anyone know if it will feature and Pacific-side stuff? Only article I've read mentions European Theater battles.

I too wish we had a sim jet game coming out. It'd be nice to see a game that has a lot of flyable aircraft. If someone could make a sim game for console that had military jets from at least Vietnam on forward, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I'd love to strap in an F-4 and go splash some Gomers. Or, launch off the deck in my mighty F-8 and gunfight with some MiGs. Heck even some Korean war stuff would be cool - a little F-86/MiG-15 duel.

Ah, the good old days - when Betty wasn't always *****ing and the flight controls weren't run by computer; you could actually pull 10G's and the plane would do it.

TRStealth
06-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Actually, I am in really bad shape financially. I pay money to my ex-wife as part of our divorce settlement, among other bills... I just had no choice but to make you pay for lunch the other day. I'm really sorry.

Tomcatter61
06-10-2008, 04:22 PM
^^^^ WTF???

I think there's another thread for that conversation.

TRStealth
06-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Turn the game console off right now!