PDA

View Full Version : That pesky unit insignia!

grumpy01
09-13-2006, 06:52 AM
Anyone tell me how to get rid of it before I start a campaign? I choose the start of Operation barbarossa-central sector-any JG unit. When I get to customization screen I'll pick a skin, but will notice the JG insignia is smack right below the cockpit. The aircraft markings choice is off, so I don't know what the deal is. Is there an area in the files that I can delete the insignias?

Haigotron
09-13-2006, 08:48 AM
the insignia can be toggled by chosing a different squad in the customization menu, or if it was painted on with the skin, its stuck on it, you could edit the skin directly

grumpy01
09-13-2006, 09:04 AM
All the skins I downloaded and installed did not have a unit insignia on them, with the exception of some which had some unit insignias on the cowling (example: The Afrika insgnia for l/JG27). I currently just completed my first day on June 22nd, 1941 with l/JG27 and all the planes have the gaudy insignia that pretty much covers from the bottom of the canopy to the top of the wing base. I doesn't matter which unit I pick. Yuck!

I swore when you first entered a campaign you had the choice of entering "none" where you would normally pick a unit to fly with. There has to be a file that you can delete to take the insgnia off but everywhere I looked I couldn't find the l/JG27. I'm at a loss....

Texas LongHorn
09-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Hey Grumpy, can't you just turn off the markings in the custom screen at the start of the mission or campagain? That in theory would give you only the skins themselves, with whatever markings they carry. I know what you mean, I personnally never use the in-game marking system. All the bloody best, LongHorn

grumpy01
09-14-2006, 01:27 PM
That's just it. I am able to take off the in-game markings if I have a skin of my own that comes with them. The trouble is that blasted unit insignia still stays there. It's fricking huge! There must be a way ingame to delete all unit insignias. What's the use of downloading all those nice skins if you have that big insignia on the side?

I even tried the mat manager and theres a specific place in the manager where you can delete or reduce the size of unit insignias, but I can't get it to work. I know for a fact I installed everything correctly. I used IL-2 Mat Manager V2.33. What a mess. I'm sure someone has it figured out it's just getting them to post.

grumpy01
09-15-2006, 01:31 AM
Ok, lets try this. What file has all the german gruppe insignia in it so I could delete it that way. I've checked all around and I can't finsd it anywhere. Since the gruppe insignia is not part of the skin, rather it's imposed over the skin like the other things you are able to turn on and off, it must have a file somewhere. Any hardcore file lookers out there?

csThor
09-15-2006, 01:54 AM
You can't. The only way is to use IL2 Mat Manager by AcesHigh2 (http://www.acesartwork.co.uk) and set it up to not displaying the unit insignia at all.

grumpy01
09-15-2006, 07:12 AM
Tried that and it doesn't work. Downloaded and installed Version 2.33 program per instructions, clicked configure, entered the two patchs successfully, typed "MAT", checked load on windows startup, copied new il2hook.dll over old one. exited and in tray icon checked active.

I manager the only thing I altered was emblem size which I reduced to zero. I don't have the manager up right now but if memory serves me right I then clicked to save on the little icon in middle right of manager, made sure the FB pointer was actived and exited. A screen came up copying files then that was it. I went into game and insgnia was still there.

MaxMhz
09-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Wouldn't recommend it, but hey it's your choise...
look under Paintschemes/NoseArt/ and
/PaintSchemes/Regiments/
Before deleling any I'd make a backup in case you change your mind or something goes wrong.

This won't work when you use MATManager I think.

Anyway,
Hope this helps.

grumpy01
09-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks, tried that but it didn't work. I just deleted the regiments one. It's madening because the insgnia is a painted picture so they have to be tucked away in some file. I've checked everywhere.

csThor
09-15-2006, 08:56 AM
They're hardcoded. That is why you need to use MAT Manager. I know that thing is a bit complicated to set up, but in the end it works.

grumpy01
09-15-2006, 10:20 AM
What was I doing wrong with the manager then? can I just use the version 2.33 It comes with the mat and the mat manager. I shouldn't need to use the updates if I don't want too. What happaened to the days of click and install end of storyhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Blottogg
09-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Grumpy, this used to drive me nuts, too. The price of being anal-retentive, I guess. Like the others, I recommend MAT Manager, but you need to read the Readme.doc that comes with it. Among other gems in there is:

"IL2-MAT Manager version 2.00 and later versions are designed to work without requiring IL2-MAT in conjunction with game version 3.03 which facilitates this feature."

That may be part of the problem you're having.

Once you've got it up and running, you can select "none" for squadron badges, which will get rid of them for you. Alternatively, you can resize them to something smaller and less obnoxious (and often more historically correct.)