PDA

View Full Version : C9ompletely stumped here, can anyone help? (Mobo will not POST)

Xiolablu3
04-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Hi guys, I have a very strange problem here so please bear with me...

1: I bidded on a few E6750 C2D's on Ebay and accidently won 2 from 2 completely different sellers (!)

2. I managed to get my friend to buy one off me and he gave me the money for a motherboard.

3. I bought a new Foxconn G33M-S from a dealer on Ebay, it arrived brand new in the box, sealed.

4. I connected everything up, 500watt PSU, one of the E6750's, into a case, put in 2gb of PC6400 ram.

5 Everything looked like it powered up for 3 seconds, but no picture on the screen, did not post, everything died after 3 seconds, then after 1 second it powered up again, but still no post.

6. Tried other E6750, same thing, tried chaning the PSU to a 425watt, changing RAM to 512 mb of PC5300, same thing, power for 3 secs then dies.

7. To cut a long story short, I swapped out everyting 3 times apart from the E6750 which I only had two of to try, (3 sticks of ram, dall ram slots, barebones with only board CPU, fan, RAM, MOnitors and power button same thing happened every time. Tried onboard GFX and PCI-E 7900GS, Power for 3 secs then died, then powers up and stays on but no POST.

8. Ahhh it MUST be the motherboard I and I am sure you are thinking! SO I sent it back and the seller apologised and sent me another brand new board.

9: Exact same thing happened with the new board.

So I now have 2xE6750's, RAM, HS+FAn new HD and a seemingly incompatible G33M-S Foxconn board. I am tearing my hair out here, can ANYONE help please?!

(I cannot flash the bios cos I cant get it to post)

DrHerb
04-27-2009, 07:42 AM
Is it at least beeping or did you not attach the internal speaker?

Try removing the battery and the cmos jumper to clear the cmos and try it again. Best to try that I figure

FoolTrottel
04-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Took a peak at the Manual/Quick ref of the board.

Only one thing I can think of:
"Complete protection for your CPU and system; automatically cuts off power if the CPU temperature rises too high"

in combination with STEP 4 of the processor installation: "Remove protective cover from load plate."

Source: http://www.foxconnsupport.com/...Motherboard%20Manual (http://www.foxconnsupport.com/download.aspx?models=en-us0000327&category=C000000001&series=en-us0000002&keywords=&sort=Motherboard%20Manual) (bottom of the page, View Detail, then press the little floppy disk icon...)

Yeah, kinda far fetched, but it's the only thing I can think off (And I highly doubt whether you could leave that plate in place and successfully install a CPU + Cooler http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif)

WhiteSnake_76
04-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Are you sure you fitted the Ram correctly, not reversed and pushed down firmly into the slot?

It sounds like thats what might have happened, memorry not properly fitted, sometimes its posible to shut the clips that hold the ram with the memory inserted incorectly and than its bye bye northbrige chip and you got a dead motherboard.

Anything you might have done wrong with installing it you should check over, also call the retailer and ask them if they found anything wrong with the mainboard you send back to them.

Look here and go trough the manual, faq's etc on there to see if you find anything that could be wrong or overlooked.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/...aspx?ID=en-us0000327 (http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_spec.aspx?ID=en-us0000327)

PF_Coastie
04-27-2009, 01:57 PM
My guess would be the PSU's you tried. Todays Mobo's really require a lot of juice on certain rails and can be very finicky when these rails are too weak. What make is the 500watt one you tried.

I have a Soltek board that just will not post with a 500 watt Antec. But I put my OCZ 550w in it and it fires right up. The Antec is actually about 2 years newer than the OCZ too!

Does your friend have a good quality PSU you could try, like a PC Power and Cooling or a Corsair PSU?

Xiolablu3
04-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, the RAM is absolutely definitely in correctly, tried every slot to, and different types of RAM. I must have fitted 1000 pieces of RAM over my lifetime, it definitely in correctly.

The PSU's are fine, 2 of them have been running Athlon 64 systems for 2 years now, one is a Hiper 600watt which is a top make.

I have tried reseating the CPU many times.

I posted this on the FOxconn forum and the guy says its probably got an old bios which doesnt support 45ns chips (they werent released at that time.) He suggested flashing the bios but I havent got a 65ns chip to do it with. He said if I post the board to him they will do it free of charge or replace th eboard if its faulty (dont think it is).

Thanks for all your suggestions, just gotta try and convince one of my friends to lend me his E6400 65NS chip to flash the BIOS! doh!

Retrofish
04-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Probably not what you want to hear, but I'm pretty sure that the E6750 is a 65nm cpu.

The first 45nm core duos were the E8xxx series.

The E6750 does have a 1333Mhz fsb. Could it be that your board only supports 1066Mhz fsb?..but still it should be able to post even if it does.

Xiolablu3
04-27-2009, 03:20 PM
But what else could it possibly be do you think? I have tried EVERYTHING else possible!

The board definitely supports 1333fsb...

its a Foxcon G33M-S

Retrofish
04-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Sorry, I don't know. I've been following this topic since it was posted scrathing my head.
The fsb thing just popped into it. I know how frustrating the black screen can be.

Thinking about it, testing the board with another cpu wouldn't hurt. There might be something that doesn't 'click' with the E6750 without a bios update.

E6750 specs (http://ark.intel.com/cpu.aspx?groupID=30784)

slipBall
04-27-2009, 05:24 PM
I had a very simular experience with a Gigabyte board. New board, new OCZ 600 PSU. Sent the board back twice to Gigabyte, each time they said the board was fine. Removed the PSU (even though it passed the test 10 times) and replaced it with a 750 OCZ...Bingo!...the folks at OCZ said that they had little quality control input in China, and it was just a lemon. It was unable to satisfy the demand of the board. They naturally replaced it with the higher watt at no charge. Please keep us posted on your problem here.

ytareh
04-28-2009, 06:22 AM
I have been researching power supplies recently and been reading nothing but bad reports of OCZ PSUs ....One guy mentioned up to a dozen reports of bad OCZ PSUs...Corsair seem to be the mainstream PSU maker of choice.Funny considering their RAM is so good...However as mentioned above their customer service seems to be second only to EVGA...
I know its little help or consolation but I really would be advising the OP to walk away from this system at this stage !I realise this is hard if building for a friend or professionally...
As I said in a similar situation (to begin with cold boot problem -pc mightnt boot for 40 minutes!-then eventually after a week or two fans running but no post at all)I gave up and RMA-d or sold most of the components on Ebay etc ...(none of the latter were reported faulty -so it seemed likely to be motherboard/graphics card or PSU-Im guessing I got a dud Seasonic 600W...
Your next build will go smooth as silk I guarantee but give it a while...(Its like you have to EXORCISE all the components from the last build and start from scratch!)

Weather_Man
04-29-2009, 06:03 AM
It does sound like the PSU is not working properly. I think you should get a new one and try it to see. Return it if that doesn't work either.

Your symptoms are very similar to the dead PSUs I've dealt with. Just be aware that buying a PSU can be a crapshoot, at least in my case. In the past 3 years, 3 out of 5 PSUs I've bought were defective out of the box.

Xiolablu3
04-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Ok this is crazy, I bought a MSI Neo for myself with 1600FSB out of the box, and the same thing happens to that. Powers up but no post.

2 of three PSUs I have tried are quite happily powering Athlon 64 X2 systems right now!

The one I am using for this system right now is massively loaded with 4 hardrives, 2 DVD drives, X2 4200, Asus A8N SLI deluxe, geforce 7900GS, Wifi, SB Audigy ZS etc.

All it has to power in the Intel sysytem right now is a E6750 , P35 Neo, Gfx card and RAM.

Never had this much trouble with a system in my life...

Starting to wonder if BOTH CPUS's are dodgy? Both guys have offered me a full refund if I am not happy.

slipBall
04-29-2009, 07:54 AM
I think indication's still point to the PSU. Get yourself a higher watt unit, you will need it in the future.

Xiolablu3
04-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Just tried another 450watter, no joy...

If I take the RAM out there is no beeping or complaining from any of the boards.

By the way, if I put my finger on the CPU after I power on the CPU gets very warm. Does this mean the CPU is OK? I read it does. (obviously I only had it on for 2 secs.)

Worf101
04-29-2009, 11:23 AM
I've built 5 rigs over the years. Try removing all components and work your way up, one at a time. I've had systems not work if the drives weren't properly connected or certain cables were not seated correctly. You might not want to take the time but I'd start the build from scratch testing at each stage of the game.

Da Worfster

WhiteSnake_76
04-29-2009, 03:03 PM
E6750 is a 65nm cpu.

Please read the manual on the motherboard, look if jumpers are positioned incorrectly.

Also remove all add on cards from the mainboard and unplug the drives, than remove the battery and powersuply and reset the bios (jumper or button)
Than put only the stuff back you need to get it to run and start the system and see if you can enter the Bios.

But seriously, your problem sounds like you fried the NorthBridge by not fitting the memorry correctly, everyone makes mistakes sometimes and on some motherboards its easy to think the memory is in fully while its not, like i said the clips on some will even close if its not in fully or reversed!

danjama
04-29-2009, 03:05 PM
If you havn't already, try running it with one stick or RAM, and switch the sticks over if one doesnt work, could be a faulty stick of RAM.

Xiolablu3
04-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by NDS_Camp.:
E6750 is a 65nm cpu.

Please read the manual on the motherboard, look if jumpers are positioned incorrectly.

Also remove all add on cards from the mainboard and unplug the drives, than remove the battery and powersuply and reset the bios (jumper or button)
Than put only the stuff back you need to get it to run and start the system and see if you can enter the Bios.

But seriously, your problem sounds like you fried the NorthBridge by not fitting the memorry correctly, everyone makes mistakes sometimes and on some motherboards its easy to think the memory is in fully while its not, like i said the clips on some will even close if its not in fully or reversed!

Mate, I have tried 3 different motherboards, all brand new. I fit enough memory to know how to do that, really http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Just tried both CPU's in a friends C2D system, neither CPU would post, when we put in his E6400 it worked fine.

Guess that means both cpus are bad.

I have tried everything anyone can try to get these working. I htink I will have to send them back..

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Yep, that confirms it, two dead cpu's.

slipBall
04-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Two different seller's, I wonder what the odd's are of that...just amazing when you think about it, CPU's are quite robust creatures nowadays http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

stalkervision
04-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Hi guys, I have a very strange problem here so please bear with me...

1: I bidded on a few E6750 C2D's on Ebay and accidently won 2 from 2 completely different sellers (!)

2. I managed to get my friend to buy one off me and he gave me the money for a motherboard.

3. I bought a new Foxconn G33M-S from a dealer on Ebay, it arrived brand new in the box, sealed.

4. I connected everything up, 500watt PSU, one of the E6750's, into a case, put in 2gb of PC6400 ram.

5 Everything looked like it powered up for 3 seconds, but no picture on the screen, did not post, everything died after 3 seconds, then after 1 second it powered up again, but still no post.

6. Tried other E6750, same thing, tried chaning the PSU to a 425watt, changing RAM to 512 mb of PC5300, same thing, power for 3 secs then dies.

7. To cut a long story short, I swapped out everyting 3 times apart from the E6750 which I only had two of to try, (3 sticks of ram, dall ram slots, barebones with only board CPU, fan, RAM, MOnitors and power button same thing happened every time. Tried onboard GFX and PCI-E 7900GS, Power for 3 secs then died, then powers up and stays on but no POST.

8. Ahhh it MUST be the motherboard I and I am sure you are thinking! SO I sent it back and the seller apologised and sent me another brand new board.

9: Exact same thing happened with the new board.

So I now have 2xE6750's, RAM, HS+FAn new HD and a seemingly incompatible G33M-S Foxconn board. I am tearing my hair out here, can ANYONE help please?!

(I cannot flash the bios cos I cant get it to post)

reset the bios on the board..

WhiteSnake_76
04-30-2009, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Mate, I have tried 3 different motherboards, all brand new. I fit enough memory to know how to do that, really http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Just tried both CPU's in a friends C2D system, neither CPU would post, when we put in his E6400 it worked fine.

Guess that means both cpus are bad.

I have tried everything anyone can try to get these working. I htink I will have to send them back..

The odds of that are verry small, but since your CPU is not listed in any Bios update for the Mobo i think it should work even with Bios version 1, wich is unlikly to be on any Mobo you buy since the factory programs the latest Bios version on the chip.

On the link i gave you for the Mobo from Foxconn it also says: "Supports Intel® next generation 45nm Multi-Core processors" so highly unlikly its an compatabilety isue, and yours is a 65nm anyway...

Hope you can solve this, this is exactly why i dont like buying expensive parts online.

Xiolablu3
04-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Thx for the replies all, tried reseting bios many times Stalker http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Both sellers have offered me a refund anyway. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif