PDA

View Full Version : PC Sales Numbers

JoeBlack999
03-20-2010, 08:31 AM
does anyone have any official sales numbers of the pc version? as the only news ubi posts is bragging about their play protection, i wonder why they don't brag about the sales numbers. or do people not buy the game? i for sure didn't. and i won't unless that ridiculous drm is dropped.

Gekkibi
03-20-2010, 08:35 AM
I doubt there are any statistics yet. It would be interesting to compare the sales between AC 1 and AC 2 (For example, number of sold copies during the first 3 months).

caswallawn_2k7
03-20-2010, 09:13 AM
first numbers they released on AC1 were after a year then it was just a general number covering all 3 formats.

very few firms release sale figures unless they are either massive or gunning for a sales record. AC2 made the top 10 in all online stores so we can assume it sold well enough, but it is very unlikely you will ever get a real number.

even MMO's never release sales figures of user numbers (besides WoW but that is only because they are trying to brag) so with a average selling game don't expect any numbers in anything other than a financial report, and your looking at next year before there is one of those.

PB0_shadow
03-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by JoeBlack999:
does anyone have any official sales numbers of the pc version? as the only news ubi posts is bragging about their play protection, i wonder why they don't brag about the sales numbers. or do people not buy the game? i for sure didn't. and i won't unless that ridiculous drm is dropped.

Even when they release sales, companies usually do not split per platform.
you have to dig (interview) to get some rough figures. So will have to look for it on webzines & magazines

This said, AC 1 PC was massively pirated and didn't sell very well iirc

Xanatos2007
03-20-2010, 09:38 AM
I think they should do an experiment with AC3 and release it at the same time across all platforms, with no ridiculous anti-piracy measures on the PC version, and compare the sales to the previous 2 games. Ubisoft's a big company, if they could use AC2 to test out their new DRM then they should be able to afford conducting the experiment described above with AC3.

Gekkibi
03-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by PB0_shadow:
This said, AC 1 PC was massively pirated and didn't sell very well iirc

Didn't the pirate version had a "feature" so it was impossible to go to Jerusalem? Not sure if it was fixed, 'tho.

And I doubt piracy affects the sales THAT much. Lots of "pirates" are checking the pirated version just to make sure they are buying a good game. Another reason to have demo versions...

caswallawn_2k7
03-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Lots of "pirates" are checking the pirated version just to make sure they are buying a good game.
that is just one of the many excuses the same as the ones who claim the pirate the games because they are over priced, it's all just excuses used by stupid people to try to justify their illegal activities.

90% of people who pirate games will never buy them as long as it is possible to pirate them.

Gekkibi
03-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
90% of people who pirate games will never buy them as long as it is possible to pirate them.

Funny, because 90% of people who I know and downloads the games from the internet will buy the game if it is worth the money, or if not will delete it from the hard drive.

BrianHanna
03-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Gekkibi:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:

Funny, because 90% of people who I know and downloads the games from the internet will buy the game if it is worth the money, or if not will delete it from the hard drive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and how many do they pirate versus the amount they think is "worth the money".

Also, don't expect to ever see accurate PC sales numbers, since steam rarely releases sales numbers.

kleaneasy
03-20-2010, 10:57 AM
1 - We already have a thread for discussion on the DRM which this topic is clearly about

2 - Discussing piracy is not allowed.

Alex_HS
03-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
I think they should do an experiment with AC3 and release it at the same time across all platforms, with no ridiculous anti-piracy measures on the PC version..

The game would be pirated and ubisoft would loose sales across all 3 platforms because of it.
Best case scenario is that they fix the problems people are having, wich i believe they will (ordered a copy yesterday).