PDA

View Full Version : Can't Play Chessmaster 10th Edition

edevoe
08-12-2004, 07:20 PM
Every time I try to launch the game it just reboots my system. Anyone else see this? I just got it today and I can't even play it.

System is 2.8Ghz w 1GB Ram on XP SP2 ATI9800 Pro

I've tried reinstalling, updating all drivers, unloading *EVERYTHING* else. I don't have any problems loading anything else

edevoe
08-12-2004, 07:20 PM
Every time I try to launch the game it just reboots my system. Anyone else see this? I just got it today and I can't even play it.

System is 2.8Ghz w 1GB Ram on XP SP2 ATI9800 Pro

I've tried reinstalling, updating all drivers, unloading *EVERYTHING* else. I don't have any problems loading anything else

Fallen77
08-12-2004, 07:36 PM
This might sound really weird but I think it's the Service Pack 2. I'm currently battling a new variant of the W32.IRCBOT (in case anyone has info on the version FF.exe jsimpson@leadship.com) anyways on the forums about viruses and other things I've seen alot of complaints from people having trouble installing, backing up, locking up, and all sorts of weird things after installing sp2.

This may be completly wrong though so take it with a grain of salt.

zeroality
08-12-2004, 07:42 PM
No, take it with a MOUNTAIN of salt! My PC froze TWICE today after installing SP 2, I haven't had that problem in the past 3-4 months of owning this PC. **** Microsoft and their SP 2. Don't install it. If you already did, format your hard drive, burn it, and install a new one!!!! (Just formatting will probably do http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif)

Zero

Edit: I reformatted my PC and reinstalled everything. Now it's back to normal.

"His strength is unreal. He is far stronger in reality than any story you might have heard about him."

Fallen77
08-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Heh, I have no doubt that Microsoft managed to mess things up again... I meant that might not be the cause of his problem... sorry you had to reformat.

edevoe
08-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Well, pardon me for saying so, but this is unacceptable. I don't know if SP2 is causing a problem for this software, but if it is, it is not Microsoft's responsibility. I have been using SP2 for weeks and have had no issues with any other software including other UBI games.

It is not worth my time to rebuild my system and revert to a less secure operating system simply so that I can play a pretty game of chess. I'm sure that a few other people out there might just install SP2 also - so heads-up ubi, you might want to TEST it and PATCH it.

Bad News: Very disappointed user is out $39.99

Good News: I have a new and faster way to cold-restart my system: just double-click the Chessmaster 10th Edition Icon!

zeroality
08-12-2004, 09:18 PM
I disagree. It is Microsoft's fault. As that other user posted, other people have been having problems with programs other than CM 10th Edition (such as myself!!). I don't really think reverting back to XP SP1 is making your system THAT MUCH less secure. All SP2 really had was mostly IE implementations that prevents idiots (no offense) from downloading/accessing something that could be harmful to their PC and perhaps a better firewall. My recommendation is to go ahead and format and go back to your original settings. If you're still not convinced then wait till ur PC locks up when you're using something else, then maybe you'll see it.

Zero

"His strength is unreal. He is far stronger in reality than any story you might have heard about him."

voidvoice
08-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Before anyone start bashing SP2,go and find out why your system crash and millions other PC dont.
I have no problem of installing it and run all my programs. I know many people dont realize how many junk/spyware/virus/...etc inside their system.

zeroality
08-12-2004, 09:51 PM
I run Ad-Aware 6, Norton Antivirus, Spybot Search and Destroy, Scandisk, Disk Defragmenter, and test my PC at pcpitstop.com regularly. I have owned this computer for 4 months and run basically the same stuff on a day to day basis and had NO problems until I installed SP2. I think I know what I am talking about here. Thanks.

Edit: I also clear my cookies and my cache at least once (sometimes 2 or 3 times) a day. I take better care of my PC than I do my own body!! For real.

Zero

Zum_Zum
08-13-2004, 02:38 AM
You know, regarding SP2
It isn´t available for single computers yet, only for multible computer on a network. So don´t download SP2 for your computer at home

catfoodtim
09-30-2004, 03:09 AM
Sorry to go off on a tangent but I notice you're using an ATI9800 Pro. I've a pc with that graphics card without SP2, and Chessmaster 10thEd won't run... It plays the movie, then completetly reboots the pc. Wonder if its a video driver problem?

RMacready
09-30-2004, 10:27 AM
Hello -

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> System is 2.8Ghz w 1GB Ram on XP SP2 ATI9800 Pro
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our system specs are identical except for the video card...I use a GF4400ti. I'd research any potential conflicts between CMX and ATI cards or specific ATI driver versions.

There are plenty of people running SP2 and CMX with no problems. I'm one of them.

Good luck with it!

E.Thang
09-30-2004, 06:26 PM
You guys may be on to something, I've been holding off on SP2 specifically because of all the problems I've heard about in forums and from friends. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif