PDA

View Full Version : Slowing down quickly

M2morris
03-11-2006, 07:51 PM
I have recently been flying alot of American AC in PF and I have been able to counter any imperiled A6Ms, or other enemy fighters attempts, to slow down suddenly and cause me to over fly them, but I have learned to anticipate and slow down as well and shoot the **** out of them. But somtimes I still get tricked and over fly trying not to get my arse shot off.

I was wondering what kind of quick- slowing techniques there are that I don't know about.
Prop-pich doesnt seem to make any difference. I have been using mainly the F4U Corsiar.

BfHeFwMe
03-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Don't slow down, accellerate and go straight up above his plane, after a healthy hose down with guns of course. Never get out in front of his wings front edge, always put yourself in a favorable position to reattack.

With him being slow, it don't matter how well his plane climbs, it can't match a fast mover, being he's slow in a zoom climb.

Shoot, scoot, and reboot.

The shoot you know already, the scoot is a nice easy popup after the shot but well before you get ahead of his tail, put it in the verticle, roll your wings 180 so your canopy is now where you can watch and follow your bandit below. Always keep eye contact.

Once you've achieved seperation in a higher position of advantage, reboot and press home another attack before he can recover speed or gain your altitude. You can hit him from any direction when above and adjust on the way down. Make that puppy turn if you can with a frontal quartering shot, just off 9:00 or 3:00, this burns his energy severely and gives you a lethal hit if you connect. Keep it fast, shoot, scoot, and reboot again.

If you've got a good aircraft you won't even need that much seperation, it will appear as an angry fast hornet attacking a slow cat burning all it's motion trying to avoid the stings.

Never follow in a evasive he does, not even to get a shot, stick to the rules. Only exception is when you more than one on one, take your ambush shot and run with some sort of plan to disappear.

Xiolablu3
03-11-2006, 08:28 PM
DOnt slow down, take a quick shot and then yoyo, this way you can keep most of your speed.

before you shoot over him pull up and climb , now simply find him again and b&z him over and over while he is slow.

If you really MUST slow down, slam the throttle to 0% and apply as much flap as you dare without jamming. This means combat flaps usually, but if you are very slow you can apply take off flaps.

TX-EcoDragon
03-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Yeah, they speaketh the truth. Just go up and over and come back down, energy is a good thing, not a bad thing! That said, if you NEED to scrub energy try the forward slip. Feed in rudder and opposite aileron to maintain your fligth path while cross-controlled and that will help slow ya down as quickly as possible, you can used combat flaps in most aircraft at high speeds, and at 320 and under you can usually use it all.

M2morris
03-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by BfHeFwMe:
Don't slow down, accellerate and go straight up above his plane, after a healthy hose down with guns of course. Never get out in front of his wings front edge, always put yourself in a favorable position to reattack.

With him being slow, it don't matter how well his plane climbs, it can't match a fast mover, being he's slow in a zoom climb.

Shoot, scoot, and reboot.

The shoot you know already, the scoot is a nice easy popup after the shot but well before you get ahead of his tail, put it in the verticle, roll your wings 180 so your canopy is now where you can watch and follow your bandit below. Always keep eye contact.

Once you've achieved seperation in a higher position of advantage, reboot and press home another attack before he can recover speed or gain your altitude. You can hit him from any direction when above and adjust on the way down. Make that puppy turn if you can with a frontal quartering shot, just off 9:00 or 3:00, this burns his energy severely and gives you a lethal hit if you connect. Keep it fast, shoot, scoot, and reboot again.

If you've got a good aircraft you won't even need that much seperation, it will appear as an angry fast hornet attacking a slow cat burning all it's motion trying to avoid the stings.

Never follow in a evasive he does, not even to get a shot, stick to the rules. Only exception is when you more than one on one, take your ambush shot and run with some sort of plan to disappear.

Thats awesome, preeshiate it, but I have a bad habit of ALWAYS putting myself out numbered. But I will deffinatley use the shoot scoot and reboot and follow those rules to see how it works. Bee- a- utiful. I may have already been unknowingly doing that when I attack B5Ns. I attack fast and furious from below and behind, go inverted and roll out to attack the next B5N ahead with the same manuever keeping those rear gunners geussing. But Thanks. I'm there doing it.

M2morris
03-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by TX-EcoDragon:
Yeah, they speaketh the truth. Just go up and over and come back down, energy is a good thing, not a bad thing! That said, if you NEED to scrub energy try the forward slip. Feed in rudder and opposite aileron to maintain your fligth path while cross-controlled and that will help slow ya down as quickly as possible, you can used combat flaps in most aircraft at high speeds, and at 320 and under you can usually use it all.

Yea I use the slip alot, and waggle the rudder to slow down and even drop the gear too if Im slow enough. And especially if I come into the carrier a little too high I put her into a slip. But I think from what Ive read here from these guys that for me now; 'slow' is a bad word when dog fighting. I dont like slow. Let the other guy go slow. Hell with that slowing down --it. I think speed is the answere to survival and energy must be maintained at all times.I have found lately that I sort of think of my plane as a roller coaster. I just keep going up and down when in combat, never in level flight, I just keep maintaining my energy and it helps put a wuppen on em.

Waldo.Pepper
03-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Corsair has airbrakes (the gear will drop but not lock) but really I have never used them.

El Turo
03-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Slowing down intentionally in a combat zone will get you killed.