PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious about a design inconsistancy.

Waldo.Pepper
11-29-2004, 12:41 PM
I'm curious if any airplane modeler can comment on this please. I've noticed that when in some planes, that are multiple person crewed you in fact see other members of the crew as a design element of the cockpit. For example when you are the pilot of the He-111 if you look down and to the right, another crew member is there. But, when you are the pilot of say a B-25, you have the cockpit all to yourself. (A ghostly, and lonely experience to me).

Does anyone know if there is a good reason for this?

I can speculate all day, for example if the Co-pilot was modeled in the B-25 it might block a lot of the view, (or maybe it was thought that it would just look terrible).

If it was that it was going to block the view I think that this is a poor reason. You should be compelled to switch to the Co-pilot position to look out his window (same as if it were the tailgunner).

Anyway if anyone knows I'd be interested in hearing if there is any reasoning behind it. (or is it just an factor of being done by different modelers).

Thanks for your ear.

Waldo.Pepper
11-29-2004, 12:41 PM
I'm curious if any airplane modeler can comment on this please. I've noticed that when in some planes, that are multiple person crewed you in fact see other members of the crew as a design element of the cockpit. For example when you are the pilot of the He-111 if you look down and to the right, another crew member is there. But, when you are the pilot of say a B-25, you have the cockpit all to yourself. (A ghostly, and lonely experience to me).

Does anyone know if there is a good reason for this?

I can speculate all day, for example if the Co-pilot was modeled in the B-25 it might block a lot of the view, (or maybe it was thought that it would just look terrible).

If it was that it was going to block the view I think that this is a poor reason. You should be compelled to switch to the Co-pilot position to look out his window (same as if it were the tailgunner).

Anyway if anyone knows I'd be interested in hearing if there is any reasoning behind it. (or is it just an factor of being done by different modelers).

Thanks for your ear.

Zneg1
11-29-2004, 01:59 PM
There is a polygon load limit issue per view. As much as things look like its the same 'geometry' it is not. Each cockpit or interior view is loaded separately it just looks like it is one whole SINGLE geometry. So if the amount of alloted polygons have been used to make the interior BEAUTIFUL adding a 'person' would increase the polygon load a lot more this is why most interiros dont have it. On the plane interiors that do have people, the cockpits are fairly simple POLYGON-wise so they could add people. I dont think the polygon load requirement has changed in PF.

ZG77_Lignite
11-29-2004, 02:16 PM
There have been polls and long discussions regarding this matter (I'm thinking specifically of the He-111 and the Ju-88, if memory serves). I cannot for the life of me remember which way the polls have generally gone (however I think the ingame situation gives us a hint). One might ask Jippo or Xanty, as I believe they are at least some of the people who have looked deeply into this matter. It is as Zneg said though, one must choose what details (polygons) one would like in the game, so everyone's opinion will be different. Personally, I'd rather see an animated radiator handle than a 'blocky' person, but in a perfect world, I'd have it all http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif