PDA

View Full Version : Changing Deck Gun Weather Settings?

Quixotic_990
09-13-2005, 11:59 PM
I've posted on this before but still unclear on where to find files and how to adjust deck gun values so can use in stronger winds (say 11 m/s) and rain. As I'm a bit nervous about messing with cfg files, some clear instructions (should I save after changing etc?) would be welcome. If you have changed these values, which ones do you use? Please help. (I'm using RUB at 100% realism).

Chrystine
09-14-2005, 03:36 AM

Hi Quixotic_,

Modifying the Conditions under which the D.G. can be used is very simple & easy to do: - if you want to modify it €¦
How this might (or may fail to) co-exist with the RUB Mod, I€m without clue€¦
You may want to ask someone who does know about that €" like Beeryus, or some experienced RUB Mod user.

Go to your SH III Installation folder & navigate the directory-tree to the (by default) location / folder:

<span class="ev_code_white">C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Submarine\NSS_U boat7b</span>

I€m here using the Type VII B as an example, but it is the same for each Sub Type and variant.

Inside (each) the Sub(marine)€s folder, you€ll see a file (like)-named <span class="ev_code_white">NSS_Uboat7b.cfg</span>.
Open this file with Notepad.

Scroll down to the section named: <span class="ev_code_white"> [Properties] </span>, and look at the last line of that (sub)-section: it should read something like:

<span class="ev_code_white">StormConditions=6,0;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]</span>

Change the values to those desired for max wind-speed at which you can use the Deck Gun.
For example:

<span class="ev_code_white">StormConditions=</span><span class="ev_code_red">15,1</span><span class="ev_code_white">;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]</span>

Note that you€ll need change both of the values here shown in €˜red.€
This latter example line would then make the D.G. usable in any weather. The €˜15€ being wind-speed, the €˜1€ is for rain (€˜yes€).

Make any changes you wish, then €˜Save€ and close the file.
Don€t Forget to Back-up your Original *.cfg file before making any changes €" just in case€¦ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Best, BOL & happy hunting!
~ C.

Quixotic_990
09-14-2005, 04:17 AM
A thousand blessings upon you. Great to finally get the info. I will now try to find out if changing these values might cause any headaches either with RUB or SH3 Commander.

vanjast
09-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Now you can set it to 50ms. Carefull with this though as the shells fly backwards. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Kaleun1961
09-15-2005, 12:03 AM
This works with RUb. I know, as I play with RUb and alter the files this way.

Foehammer-1
09-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Hmmm, I can't seem to be able to do it. Here is what my .CFG file says:
[Unit]
ClassName=SSTypeVIIC
HumanPlayable=YES
Interior=data/Interior/NSS_Uboat7/NSS_Uboat7
UnitType=200
MaxSpeed=17.0
MaxSpeedSubmerged=7.6
Length=67.4
Width=5.3
RenownAwarded=130

[Salvo]
1=1,3,2,4
2=1,2,4
3=1,3,4
4=1,4
5=2,3
6=1,3
7=2,4

[Properties]
PeriscopeDepth=12;meters
SnorkelDepth=10;meters
CrashDepth=70;meters
MaxDepth=300;meters
SurfaceDepth=5.8;meters
TorpLaunchMaxDepth=20;meters

[EngineProperties]
AllStop=0.00
AheadSlow=0.40
AheadOneThird=0.57
AheadStandard=0.80
AheadFull=0.94
AheadFlank=1.00
BackSlow=-0.26
BackStandard=-0.40
BackFull=-0.53
BackEmergency=-0.66

...And I don't see no Storm Conditions and such values. Help?

Chrystine
09-16-2005, 05:19 AM

Hi FoeHammer_,

That€s sure odd€¦ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
The necessary line is missing from your *.cfg

Are you using any Mod that modifies this element?
I can€t imagine how any could without modifying the code-line which should exist there €" but€¦ what do I know? ..and there are some pretty smart cookies here creating the Mods the Community uses and enjoys.

The section <span class="ev_code_white"> [Properties] </span> should appear like this:

<span class="ev_code_white">
[Properties]
PeriscopeDepth=12;meters
SnorkelDepth=10;meters
CrashDepth=70;meters
MaxDepth=300;meters
SurfaceDepth=5.8;meters
TorpLaunchMaxDepth=20;meters
StormConditions=13,1;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]
</span>

This is C&P€d directly from my own <span class="ev_code_white">NSS_Uboat7b.cfg</span> file, with the weather conditions value set to Guns usage at up-to 13 mps, and including in rain.

You should be able to just Copy this line from here, and Paste it into your *.cfg in the same location, save the file and close.
ONLY this <span class="ev_code_white">StormConditions=13,1;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]</span> line, however €" note you€re in a VIIC and mine is still a VIIB €" these two are identical for this section €" but you don€t want to C&P this entire Properties section to each sub-type€¦ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Of course, you€re then at liberty to modify the €˜StormConditions=€ value(s) to whichever you wish.
If you want to be prevented from using your guns in rain €" change the €œ1;max wind speed€¦€ to a €œ0;€ (Zero).

You may then wish also to open the like *.cfg file for each of your Sub-types & variants and check the <span class="ev_code_white"> [Properties] </span> section in each, adding the missing line (if missing in all of them €" and if missing in one, it€s likely missing in them all) & modifying it according to your desired values.

Hope this helps €¦

Best, BOL & Happy hunting!
~ C.

Foehammer-1
09-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Ok, thanks a lot, I will try it today.

bill268
07-26-2007, 03:27 PM
I couldnt find that line in my file either. But, in order for the guns to NOT mann above storm conditions 7, there has got to be something else. bill268

AtlantikEel
07-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Caution!
Do not make any changes while "in mission".
Wait until between missions before making any modifications, otherwise you may not be able to resume a mission where you left off.
If you are using SH3Commander, "rollback files" before applying any mods.

Foehammer-1
07-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Hahaha, now THAT is an ooold post. For instance, that was one of my first posts on this forumhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

@ AtlantikEel, this particular thing works even if you edit it while on patrol. At least it did numerous times. This once I was in the XXI, and it wouldn't let me shoot the crippled merchant with the flak gun in relatively calm sea. So I saved, exited the game, changed the line to StormConditions 15,1, and viola! Sank the merchant with the flak guns. It also works if you use "SH3 Mini Tweaker" in mid-patrol. I have found no problems whatsoever.

Btw, the /cfg file is found under data/submarine/(boat number, such as XXI)/"File you need, only one .cfg, forgot its name"

AtlantikEel
07-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Glad it worked for you.
I prefer to err on the side of caution.
As a general rule, it is best to mod between missions only.
I've lost enough careers through mid-mission modding to advise caution.

Foehammer-1
07-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Youd don't lose a career through mid-patrol modding. You only lose the patrol. If a CTD or something happens, just load the "In base after mission" of the patrol before. And enjoy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif But yes, I agree, that if you install something big like GWX, do it in base. Or else