PDA

View Full Version : Do any of the japanse planes carry torepedos

frag_bravo
02-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Do any of em carry some.what about bombs?

frag_bravo
02-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Do any of em carry some.what about bombs?

HangerQueen
02-05-2004, 08:30 PM
I'd don't think that the Japanese planes we have at the moment could carry torpedos, although they could carry small bombs. The Japanese had dedicated torpedo bombers.

A little OT, but I remember seeing a diagram of a FW 190 with various armament loadouts. These included a small torpedo. Is this correct? Did the FW 190 ever use torpedos?

"You can try, but it is a difficult and thankless task to compare the combat qualities of aircraft using reference book data. There are simply too many nuances to consider." N. G. Golodnikov

JR_Greenhorn
02-05-2004, 09:11 PM
IIRC, Japanese torpedos were 800kg. That can be quite a load for a fighter. Also, torpedos are long and somewhat akward compared to regular bombs.
The Japanese torpedos were very good (if memory serves), much better than the duds the Americans were using. As for each contry's torpedo bombers, I do not know.

A.K.Davis
02-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Japanese Navy had dedicated carrier-borne torpedo-bombers like the B5N "Kate." JNAF also had medium bombers like the G4M "Betty" that could deliver torpedoes. JAAF (Army) had some medium bombers that could carry torpedoes, I believe.

--AKD

http://www.flyingpug.com/pugline2.jpg

J30Vader
02-05-2004, 10:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

A little OT, but I remember seeing a diagram of a FW 190 with various armament loadouts. These included a small torpedo. Is this correct? Did the FW 190 ever use torpedos?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

190A-5/U14. Two prototypes built. Only had the wing root cannon. LTF 5b torp
190A-5/U15. One prototype built. Same cannon but was to carry the LT 950 guided torpedo.

And the Ju 88A-17 carried two torps.