PDA

View Full Version : Pilots Log Books

Lemky
02-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Ever wonder what happens to the Pilots Log Books from WW2 When the Vet passes on.Lots off personal history being lost.

muchaclopiec
02-26-2007, 07:34 PM
its nice when they get donated to museums. they often go for a tidy packet at auction.Ill be keeping my glider pilots logbook and when im an old geezer ill be able to look back fondly at some hair raising flights http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Esel1964
02-26-2007, 11:32 PM
It's truly sad how many families never learned what "Grandpa"(due to his desire to repress it),or due to today's seemingly prevalent desire to sweep our elders aside;never even knew they had a relative in WW2.

Were it not for me,my wife/in-laws wouldn't even know the story my father-in-law's service.

Too many people are tied up in the "now"-text-messaging,etc.;and are letting the past(the knowledge of)slip through their hands.

I'm thinking about interviewing (3) WW2 vets I know,and taping it for posterity sake.

Of course,mentioning that more people need to do this-or something similar,is like 'preaching to the choir';so,I'll just say it's a shame (unless you visit site's like this) so many don't even realize,what happened 60+ yr. ago that had such an effect on the world of today. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

The.Tyke
02-27-2007, 01:52 AM
I've got my Dad's pilot log book from his RAF service flying Stirlings. I've scanned it just in case it ever goes missing, but my son has strict instuctions to look after it when I'm pushing up daiseys.

huesotravieso
02-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Esel1964 you're absolutely right.

I see grnadpas now, you know, almost unable to crimb just a stairway... and then I think of what they did 70-60 years ago... Lots of they were just kids. Only 18 and they were in those battleships, subs, planes... Trying to go through... I try to put myself in such a situation and I just can't. Amazing. Amazing how ppl just don't give a dam about it. I just can't belive it. Yeah yeah grandpa...

Both my grandpas fought in spanish civil war. One was forced to do so... fighting for the fascists. He hadn't much a choice... and when the war ended they wanted to execute him for not being a fascist. He told me lots of stories. He told me all they had to do for a living, with his wife and kids... Once, back in the 80s, we went to the mountains were he once fought and tod us ppl died overnight frozen.

This summer I met this guy in Ibiza. A youn man, 21 I think. His grandpa was a RAF pilot and told me some stories too. He told me pilots were scared because they had such short life expectancy... but my friend's grandpas walked around telling ppl that's not true. He had more than 25 missions flown and was still alive... and there was more ppl like him. Don't know. Because of all this madness I have about it, all this sims, all the doc I keep reading and documentaries I've seen... Because I try to imagine how that ppl had to live... and sadly die... It really impressed me.

stanford-ukded
02-28-2007, 05:20 AM
My girlfriend got me this for my birthday - it's actually superb quality.

http://www.afterthebattle.com/tucklog.html