PDA

View Full Version : Bad Weather, Deck/Flak Gun Compromise

R_Mutt
05-07-2005, 04:01 AM
Just an idea I was thinking of while out of torpedoes in 7 mph winds and light fog and unable to finish off a damaged/listing C2.

I know many people have mentioned the idea of having the option of ordering their crew out into a storm with the risk of them being washed overboard. Obviously this would be ideal, but it sounds like a programming nightmare to me which may make it impossible.

My idea was that the guns could be manned in a storm if the boat wasn't moving (0 kts), that's going off my assumption that a boat not moving in a storm would be a tad safer than beating the waves and washing the deck at full speed. This would eliminate the need to program the randomness of losing crew overboard and I would think be easier to program.

Anyway, Just an idea.

Lovo_Kasistan
05-07-2005, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by R_Mutt:
I know many people have mentioned the idea of having the option of ordering their crew out into a storm with the risk of them being washed overboard. Obviously this would be ideal, but it sounds like a programming nightmare to me which may make it impossible.
You may be the captain but you are not the lord of life and death. If the situation would be too dangerous the crew would simply disobey you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

My idea was that the guns could be manned in a storm if the boat wasn't moving (0 kts), that's going off my assumption that a boat not moving in a storm would be a tad safer than beating the waves and washing the deck at full speed. This would eliminate the need to program the randomness of losing crew overboard and I would think be easier to program.
The waves would still rock your boat around too an extent that you couldn't hit a passenger liner at 100m.

Maj_Solo
05-07-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by R_Mutt:
Just an idea I was thinking of while out of torpedoes in 7 mph winds and light fog and unable to finish off a damaged/listing C2.

Anyway, Just an idea.

Ofcourse it would work in real life, keep the crew in the conning tower and smash against the wind and the waves, then make a 180, and surf on the waves back, going against the wind and with the wind is two totally different things, you could then make a pass and shot, order them back in again turn around and repeat the cycle .... I think the uboats have just the speed to be able to surf, 15+ knots