PDA

View Full Version : Comba mechanics deny my excitement.

adarwinter
03-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Am i the only one who feels like UBI is afraid to challenge us by giving us a balanced combat system that makes sense within a game?

In AC2 the combat system practically doesnt want u to ever die.

* The health meter can grow ridiculously long while it is perfectly possible to win even a 20 men swordfight with just 1 single health diamond.
This could have been significantly limited.

* The health seems like a none-regenerating one while in practice the part of a diamond refills really fast and the last diamond also constantly refills in a very fast rate. This could have been better implemented if health wouldnt regenerate unless ezio uses a health posion or at least make enemies attack often enough to make a half-diamond actually mean something. now the time between their attacks allow a partially empty diamond to refill.

* the block button is the all powerful exploit. the biggest one i've ever seen. 80% of the guards can't do anything against a blocking ezio. what happened to the defence break?! what happened to the power attacks of the sword? why has this system instead of being balanced forward has been dumbed down to an exploitable state? it could have been perfectly made if enemies do a defense break if ezio is blocking for longer than 2 seconds but instead UBI has removed this incredibly important move from both the player and the AI.
This also results in enemies that block less.

the invulnerability while blocking could have also been balanced by making holding the block last only 2 seconds or so OR BETTER YET - make it so ezio must face the opponent that is attacking in order to block him. if someone is attacking from the right while ezio is facing left will force the player to press block+right. this would actually give a flanking formation where the enemies cyrcle ezio a meaning - it will force the player to constantly change directions and be on his tows. this would also give the normal guards a chance. right now only brutes and halberds have any type of chance against a blocking ezio.

and of course

* spamming the attack button create quick combo kills. while this encourages offensive approach to combat it causes Ezio to be invinsible while blocking AND overly powerful when attacking.

* fighting unarmed or with the hidden blades allow for blocking. This just makes no sense since a blade would just cut through Ezio's hands IRL. being unarmed or using the blades is just better than most weapons. overly powerful again. These techniques should have been made so Ezio can only dodge and counter and attack without being able to block at all. Give a high risk-high reward to these weapons\techniques.

* potions are magically fast at healing. why not mmake an animation for drinking the potion which will force players to get away from a fight in order to have enough time to drink?

all these faulty mechanics make a game that lacks any type of challenge and in my opinion result in a more boring gameplay and a very none gratifying victories over even large quantities of enemies. if my none-gamer girl friend can defete a large combat, and she can barely use a mouse, than there's something wrong here. a game should require skills.

also the ability to face ANY challenge head on just completely defeats the purpose of having tools like hiring groups of ppl, having smoke bombs, distracting and other types of aids that no one really needs since combat is completely un-balanced.

Where is all the excitement of being overwhelmed with enemies, forcing to find a way to escape and hide? Being relieved to find out u have one more smoke bomb to allow u to escape a cyrcle of enemies? using the crowd to blend in order to hidden-blade two enemies at once in order to dwindle the resistance to a more manageable threat size?
having to run away on roof tops from groups of armed guards in fear of being caught because the stakes are so bad parying for a well placed hay stack?

Am I the only one who sees that the exhilaration is missing due to a game so forgiving i feel like i can shag his wife in front of him, asking it for a condom and having it STILL apologize for not having one on him and tell me it's ok i made a mess out of his bedroom?

ShiroixD
03-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Well dude you kinda hate the game don't you, well i like it a lot but it's not a perfect game either there are several stuff that could make the game a lot better and everything you said i'm agree with that!

But ac2 it's not a challenging game at all it is supposed to... i don't know to enjoy the gameplay to make you feel like a ''god'' or something like that, what i would like to see if they at least for next game to put a difficulty level it could be more challenging that way!

adarwinter
03-16-2010, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by ShiroixD:
Well dude you kinda hate the game don't you, well i like it a lot but it's not a perfect game either there are several stuff that could make the game a lot better and everything you said i'm agree with that!

But ac2 it's not a challenging game at all it is supposed to... i don't know to enjoy the gameplay to make you feel like a ''god'' or something like that, what i would like to see if they at least for next game to put a difficulty level it could be more challenging that way!

No no. i dont hate the game, lol. i love it. that's why its so disappointing. that everything is in place but doesnt function in a way that makes sense.

there are games that are supposed to make u feel powerful but if in a game i play as a tank and im supposed to run over gerbils than my squashing 50 of them with my chains i dont feel powerful. it's just not fair and doesnt represent my skill.
in AC2 i want to feel like a badass that over came 20 guards but since every bit of mechanics is leaning in my favor i dont feel like it. i want to beat the odds feeling like my skill made me win. right now i just feel like i am a 30 year old beating up 5 year olds. i couldnt lose even if i wanted to http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

M-dahaka
03-16-2010, 03:58 AM
i agree. I was running around like 1 hour in venice doing all sorts of missions with only 1 diamond left, and i didn't even do it as a challange, i did it because i just didn't need to be healed. The least i could say is, that it's good they didn't make the lifebar refill itself like in the first game.

adarwinter
03-16-2010, 10:12 AM
it could be solved to much better if the defense break was still present and guards would use it more often.

i cant believe im saying this but i feel AC2 is even easier than AC1

mio dio.*

and AC1 even had a recharging health system. at least blocking didnt mean invulnerability and power strikes with swords and daggers was possible...

ifor the life of me i cant understand why games go backwards sometimes....

* my god in italian.