PDA

View Full Version : Totally Frustrated Newbie

fluteguy1959
02-22-2007, 05:32 PM
I just got this program with great expectations. Pardon my ignorance but I can't even get off the flight deck. The only things I have figured out how to do are, start and throttle the engine up and down. Can someone please help me get started?

Flying_Mex
02-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Have you tried watching the training tracks? They are great for beginers as far as seeing how it looks and the order to do things.

Do you have a joystick with rudder axis (where you can twist the stick)?

More info on how much experience you have would help pointing you in the right direction.

fly_zo
02-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by fluteguy1959:
I just got this program with great expectations. Pardon my ignorance but I can't even get off the flight deck. The only things I have figured out how to do are, start and throttle the engine up and down. Can someone please help me get started?

Welcome to the matrix http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif
First do you want red or blue pill ?

now, seriously go to the controls and assign or memorize buttons for : arresting hook, release chocks ( that's why you can't get off the deck), flaps, elevator/rudder/aileron trim, breaks, radiator(cowl flaps) ...etc. Some planes have only manual raising landing gears (Wildcat...)so look for that control too.

Ok taking off procedure:
1. lower flaps
2. throttle max
3. release chocks
Use rudder to steer.
Don't pull up when you reach the end, just hold it level and raise your gears ASAP. Retract flaps and off you go.

hope it helps http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

p.s. oh why i didn't take the blue pill...

tigertalon
02-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Hey fluteguy!!

Well, reading a manual that you got with (on) your DVD is a good idea. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif In it it is stated, that you must assign a key to release chocks before taking off.

Before other two questions follow, let me answer them in advance: to rise gear on certain planes (F4F, I-16) you must assing keys for 'manual gear' and tap it some 20 or 30 times to rise and lower it. And, finally, to uncover the gunsight on early japanese planes, press CTRL-D.

Wellcome BTW, and in case of more questions do not hesitate to ask.

piper_
02-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Hi and welcome,

Don't worry, it's a common problem. What you have to do is assign a button on your stick or keyboard to "release chocks".

When in the games splash screen open up the 'Controls' section and scroll down until you see the description you want, then select a key to 'bind' it and you are done.

While you are there you might also want to bind other essential controls in the same fashion: arrester hook, flaps, radiator, trim and so on to suit your taste/style.

Also if you have a separate stick/throttle you might want to set them up in the 'hardware setup' section under 'inputs' and 'Hotas'.

good luck: regards, piper http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

ps: To all who say "RTFM", ALL of my copies of 46 (3) and ALL of my buddies copies have a blank 'read me' file, just a case with a disk, and devoid of any other content--quite a poor show, esp for new peeps.

Zeus-cat
02-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Many, many, many people have had the same problem with chocks. It is in the manual, but like most people you probably didn't read it (I didn't). They really should have assigned a key for it as it is a show stopper if you don't.

-HH-Quazi
02-22-2007, 11:10 PM
This isn't one of those get in and fly arcade sims. It takes time & patience. I suggest learning how to take off & land from land based airfields before tackling an aircraft carrier.

Each air craft has different flight modeling(characteristics). It may be a good idea to pick an aircraft and stick with that one for a while until you are at least comfortable taking off and landing. Realize that landing speeds vary from ac to ac. Some ac need to cross the airstrips threshold at 190km\h. Some can cross it slower at 160km\h.

So pick an aircraft & asked questions. Once you get the basics of taking off & landing down, you can pretty much move to other ac.

Tully__
02-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
...They really should have assigned a key for it as it is a show stopper if you don't...
There are no default key assignments for ANY controls added after the original game in the series. This is to avoid new controls conflicting with custom assignments chosen by players for the few controls that never had default assignments or with custom control assignment for major controls. The developers felt it was better that everyone make their own key assignments for controls that didn't exist in the original game and deliberately left out default assignments for those added controls.

A possible different approach would have been the approach used in the series Thief. In that series the default controls were different in the second game in the series but the developers included several default control setups including the original Thief control setup in the second game. In the same way it would be nice if IL2Setup.exe for the later versions included a "default controls" tab that allowed you to choose between "Original IL2 Defaults" or "Assign defaults for all available controls" at a minimum.