PDA

View Full Version : Great way to steal software! You'll never get caught!

Hawgdog
11-25-2004, 02:46 PM
Ah.....unless you pirated a copy of Half-Life 2
About 20,000 people have been banned from playing the Half-Life 2 game.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4041289.stm

Hey Oleg...you listening??

I just read this post on CWOS and figued I'd post it here, sorry if its a titor

SeaFireLIV
11-25-2004, 02:51 PM
Very interesting info. Thnx.

Da_Godfatha
11-25-2004, 03:02 PM
And what happens when you don't have a Internet connection? You can not play the game. Here in Germany, people have been takeing it back by the THOUSANDS! Yes, I said thousands! I think maybe Valve may have shot themselves in the a$$ with this idea. IMHO it is a stupid thing, the honest player without a connection is screwed. No wonder alot of kids are buying a console instead of a PC.

NORAD_Zooly10
11-25-2004, 03:32 PM
i recently bought the game and its a pain the a$$ to install (takes forever to me) however its well worth the wait, great game imo.
~S~
Zooly

SeaFireLIV
11-25-2004, 03:40 PM
I haven`t got HL2 yet, but if it really is true that you MUST register online to play that`s pretty bad as NOT EVERYONE has access to the internet.

WTE_Dukayn
11-25-2004, 03:44 PM
I read you can just tell Steam that you're offline and it still works.

Hawgdog
11-25-2004, 03:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Da_Godfatha:
And what happens when you don't have a Internet connection? You can not play the game. Here in Germany, people have been takeing it back by the THOUSANDS! Yes, I said thousands! I think maybe Valve may have shot themselves in the a$$ with this idea. IMHO it is a stupid thing, the honest player without a connection is screwed. No wonder alot of kids are buying a console instead of a PC. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got a link, I just got called a liar posting what you wrote in another forum. Something about offline\online choice
thanks

Owlsphone
11-25-2004, 05:47 PM
You are correct in saying that there is an offline mode. BUT, in order for the install to work the 1st time, you must be connected to the internet to register the game. After that, you are able to play Half Life 2 in offline mode.

Beirut
11-25-2004, 06:22 PM
Sounds terrible. Been reading this in other places as well. Not a chance I will buy it.

There must be other and better ways to work this out besides making the paying customer frustrated and angry.

Any game that makes me jump through hoops AFTER they have all my money is quite simply not going to get my money. And all this sounds like a great excuse for a class action suit.

_Neveraine_
11-25-2004, 06:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beirut:
Sounds terrible. Been reading this in other places as well. Not a chance I will buy it.

There must be other and better ways to work this out besides making the paying customer frustrated and angry.

Any game that makes me jump through hoops AFTER they have all my money is quite simply not going to get my money. And all this sounds like a great excuse for a class action suit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My friend got HL2 and it worked perfectly, the only people who are upset are the pirates.

tsisqua
11-25-2004, 06:45 PM
There is no way to prevent piracy. Period.

The games that we all love and play are nothing more than a complex stream of marks and spaces, or ones and zeros, if you want to look at it that way. If it can be written, it can be copied . . . exactly . . . by those clever enough (and there are plenty of them who are). The only true protection is to do what Oleg has done, and to maintain a good relation with the paying customer. Those of us who love this game, and want to see its development continue, do more than just purchase the software; When we saw what was happening with the leaked GM, we made it clear that we would refuse to play with those found to be using a pirated copy of the game, becoming, more or less, our own police force. The only reason that this game has not made multi-millionaires of its developers is that it is a niche genre.

The makers of Half-Life would do well to follow Oleg and 1C's example. It is one of the reasons that the IL2 series has become my favorite, ever.

Tsisqua

LuckyBoy1
11-25-2004, 06:56 PM
Actually, I do not agree that we have a loyal crowd buying this game. Beirut can obviously connect to the internet, so I'd safely say his problem is that he can't easily pirate the game! I doubt he paid for this one either! Usually those who pirate games also pirate all the other games they can regardless of how well the developer treats them. Quite frankly, there are about 4.5 million people out there playing this game. Less than 2 milliuon purchased it. I'm tired of paying for someone elses free ride and anything that can be done to reduce the problem... well, I'll jump through the hoops.

Let's see... thousands of Germans with computers, who buy games... but don't have internet connections... I want you guys to think about that lame one as well!

Sandman_UK
11-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Im sure the amount of people that do not buy the game because of the installing process will be far fewer than the amount that would have pirate it.

Pirates have forced this kind of action and i can see more companies following suit. And i for one agree with it all.

GvSAP_Wingnut
11-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Geez, I bought the game on what... Thursday? First day it was out. Was playing within an hour, finished it on Sunday.

It ain't that big of a deal. Requirements clearly state that an internet connection is required. Some courses in reading are clearly needed if it's being returned by the thousands.

As for jumping through hoops AFTER they have your money, let's see.... there has already been one major patch for PF in less than a month at 60 megs.

LuckyBoy1
11-25-2004, 08:27 PM
I'm with not so http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif !!!

Think about this for like 2 seconds please. You live in Germany, have enough money for a computer good enough to run this game and money to buy the game, but can't affor dial-up? Come on! When you tell a lie, at least tell a good one!

It's not like we are stealing from some Fantasy Geek Island owning tyrant here. This is Oleg and the gang. You know, the guy who has had a health problem or two in his family as well as others on his team. The guy who's told UBI, "Ok, I make Raven Something Whatever Edition if you let me continue with financially flat at best flight sim project". Tell me how many other code punchers there are out there willing to do this?

If you don't have a CD-ROM, they cost like... if you paid $15.00, you paid too much, so if it comes to that, get a CD-ROM drive. A DVD-ROM drive works just as well. It just can't be a RW type drive. and if I've gotta go answer some stupid questions at some website so I can continue to have serious flight sims developed... and hello!... guess who's the only one left doing it?!... then that's what I'll have to do!

BBB_Hyperion
11-25-2004, 09:47 PM
I wonder how long it takes until a simulated steam
system takes out the ability of control copy activation for valve .)

There is no such thing as a 100 % secure system but you can increase the time and the skills needed to hack it. In this case it was quite effective as the amount of complains is already high .)

Supr
11-25-2004, 10:07 PM
Yes, it clearly said in the min requirments that an internet connection was needed. So anyone that complains about that, didnt read the box. And thats not too bright.

Weather_Man
11-25-2004, 10:20 PM
I hate the steam thing. I hope this does not catch on. The registration requirement was cracked before the game was released. I think this particular effort to prevent piracy does more to piss honest people off than keep thieves from playing.

WTE_Dukayn
11-25-2004, 10:32 PM
That's usually the case with anti-pirate measures. They more often end up disadvantaging the honest people who bought it because the pirates find a way around it.

Sims 2 is an example of this. It doesn't like Virtual CD software such as Alochol or Daemon Tools. I bought it for my girlfriend and we couldn't play it until I'd spent an hour searching the internet for a fix for it, as I didn't want to have to keep disabling the virtual drive I have thru Alcohol. However with the pirated edition of Sims 2, this of course doesn't happen, because the people who made the pirated version ripped out the bit that tells the game not to work with Virtual drive software.

Freefalldart
11-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Another superb anti-piracy method... just like the unbreakable M$ Windows XP activation system.

Unfortunately pirates always win those battles http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

FI.Snaphoo
11-26-2004, 12:05 AM
I have had minimal problems with the Steam account. I prebought HL2, got my "free" copy of CS:source, and have been happily playing HL2 since it came out in the middle of November. I had a small issue with the DL time, even though I'm on broadband, it was over an hour. But, after that, no real problems to speak of. Still playing the game, at a slower rate than most "hardcore" gamers to be sure, but I'm enjoying it, and glad that I purchased it the way that I did.

The way I see it, someone will always complain about something. This release gave people something to focus on. Was it the pirates? Perhaps, but if it wasn't the internet dependency, it would've been something else. Just look at the last release from Oleg. There were complainers everywhere.

Don't like the release? Don't buy the game. It's that simple. But complaining about a known factor in, or about, the game is pointless in my opinion.

The_Ant
11-26-2004, 12:47 AM
I own Half Life in original and i laugh at those pirates that get their steam acount turned off,but theirs also a side effect of it rumors of several people with legal copys,have gotten their acounts turned off which is said for those,but for the other guilty ones. F@ck off and have a bad life.
Another cool thing with steam/valve is that they for some days ago leaked a pirate version(they self created)just too get pirates.HAHAHA.

What 1c and ubi can do with the forthcoming BOB.Is a cd-key protection system,and also that when you install you must register the game on the net for online play.This would probably take away some pirates that are ruin the experience for all us others.

SeaFireLIV
11-26-2004, 02:11 AM
Well, I understand that piracy must be crushed (although it never will) and we must try to stop illegal copying of games.

But I (as well as others) have never been that well off money-wise and I remember when I could barely keep 56K activate for a couple of months without it being shutdown due to non-payment. At the time I first bought and enjoyed HL1 I would not have been able to play it as I simply couldn`t afford to be online at the time. Such days I don`t forget and serve as a reminder that not everyone is able to use the net for various (not of their own fault) reasons.

Penalizing a whole swathe of honest people who just happen to be poor is not right, no matter how good HL2 may be.

Sorry, but I don`t agree with making others suffer for the good of the many... It`s just a game. There must be other ways.

I should boycott HL2 just on principle...

..and may be I will.

triggerhappyfin
11-26-2004, 02:53 AM
Maybe Oleg could take this example to use as a weapon against piracy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Swedish kids recepy on piracy (http://www.radiotjanst.se/Pejlingsfilmer/Film%20snigel.htm)

We could act as the kids in this movie http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

WTE_Konigwolf
11-26-2004, 02:58 AM
@FI.Snaphoo
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Don't like the release? Don't buy the game. It's that simple. But complaining about a known factor in, or about, the game is pointless in my opinion. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfourtunatly for many people who complained about PF they didn't know they would have a problem so where is the choice in that? and BTW when i puchased PF I didnt know about the problem (please note I am very happy after the patch and I think its 2nd best game I ever brought after BoB:their finest hour)

So please do me a favour and go for a long walk of short bridge

Konigwolf

FI.Snaphoo
11-26-2004, 03:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WTE_Konigwolf:
@FI.Snaphoo
Don't like the release? Don't buy the game. It's that simple. But complaining about a known factor in, or about, the game is pointless in my opinion. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfourtunatly for many people who complained about PF they didn't know they would have a problem so where is the choice in that? and BTW when i puchased PF I didnt know about the problem <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My comment, as you have taken it out of context, was directed towards HL2. As that seemed to be the subject of the thread, in case you hadn't noticed. While I did mention PF, it was only to describe that there are always complainers, not to discuss them or their reasons. And there were many who could play the game and still wanted to complain because they didn't agree with how things were in the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(please note I am very happy after the patch and I think its 2nd best game I ever brought after BoB:their finest hour) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like everything worked out. So there is no real point in your post, is there?

So please do me a favour and go for a long walk of short bridge

Konigwolf <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not in the business of favors. But since you asked so nicely, I'll do it... But only if you're walking in front of me.

NerdConnected
11-26-2004, 05:40 AM
Was thinking the same thing. It would be a good thing to encrypt the data on the cd's so no-one is able to play/hi-jack/crack it before it is actually released by game developers ;-) I think we're going to see this more and more.

A simple and good thing, because you can buy the game and crackers can only then begin to crack it so the time window to actually need to buy the game is much larger ;-)

I also like the possiblity to update you're game automatically and would like to see Ubi create a similar thing. Registration and support services like replacing bad media are also gone ;-) Did you lose you're dvd? Just download a new one...

Better still, let all game developers/distributors work together and create a uniform cd/dvd/online encrypted distribution update and registration interface (like Steam) which they can all use. You'll need only one daemon in the back ground which takes cares of it all instead of 10 separate tools from 10 different publishers.

Industry happy, customer happy; what more do they want?

Mark

MOhz
11-26-2004, 06:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tsisqua:
There is no way to prevent piracy. Period.

The games that we all love and play are nothing more than a complex stream of marks and spaces, or ones and zeros, if you want to look at it that way. If it can be written, it can be copied . . . _exactly_ . . . by those clever enough (and there are plenty of them who are). The only true protection is to do what Oleg has done, and to maintain a good relation with the paying customer. Those of us who love this game, and want to see its development continue, do more than just purchase the software; When we saw what was happening with the leaked GM, we made it clear that we would refuse to play with those found to be using a pirated copy of the game, becoming, more or less, our own police force. The only reason that this game has not made multi-millionaires of its developers is that it is a niche genre.

The makers of Half-Life would do well to follow Oleg and 1C's example. It is one of the reasons that the IL2 series has become my favorite, ever.

Tsisqua <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really agree with you! The problem is that a lot of people who play the HalfLife series are real d**ks. I quit because I just wasn't getting any psoitive feedback from the people.

WWSensei
11-26-2004, 06:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Penalizing a whole swathe of honest people who just happen to be poor is not right, no matter how good HL2 may be. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just don't buy this argument. I do understand you may be strapped for cash but here is the problem I have... You'd spend in excess of $50 (US, convert to your currency as required) on a GAME before you would pay your phone bill? ...and this is the fault of the game company?

Sorry, it isn't their fault your priorities aren't in order. The goal of any company is to make money. They are not obligated to entertain you for free and they are allowed to protect their investment. If you are living paycheck to paycheck you shouldn't be wasting your money on games. I'd love to have a new Porche but I can't afford one. I don't blame Porche for my lack of money.

I think what the article shows is that piracy of software is a far larger problem than most people admit. I wasn't a fan of Steam at first but it worked fine for me and after initial install it did not require me to be online.

Bulletproof? No, but it is better than bogus on-CD protection schemes and was not very intrusive for an end user. Much less so than even the bad copy protection used by UBI for 1C games.

sapre
11-26-2004, 06:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Da_Godfatha:
And what happens when you don't have a Internet connection? You can not play the game. Here in Germany, people have been takeing it back by the THOUSANDS! Yes, I said thousands! I think maybe Valve may have shot themselves in the a$$ with this idea. IMHO it is a stupid thing, the honest player without a connection is screwed. No wonder alot of kids are buying a console instead of a PC. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually it's quite hard to believe that theres any PC gamer that doesn't have a internet connection.
In fact, it's quite hard to believe that theres any one that owns a computer that doesn't have a internet connection.

wojtek_m
11-26-2004, 08:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sapre:
Actually it's quite hard to believe that theres any PC gamer that doesn't have a internet connection.
In fact, it's quite hard to believe that theres any one that owns a computer that doesn't have a internet connection. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The world is not the US. There are LOTS of gamers without internet around the world, even in Germany where I live. Open your mind.

Jordan_72
11-26-2004, 08:50 AM
People like you sapre not believing there can be players without Internet-connection are VERY arrogant.
Your experience of cheap connections is only valid for the USA which is quite large but still a small part of the world.

Everywhere else, esp. here in germany, it may easyly happen that your normal monthly phone-bill is much more expensive than the 40 EUR for HL2.
And there is no reason for some non-hardcore-gamers to connect if they dont want to play online and get some patches from magazine CDs. For me I cant imagine anymore to live without Inet, but I understand people thinking different also very well...

You just need to learn more or work on your imgination abilities.

bazzaah2
11-26-2004, 09:09 AM
I have HL2 and a decent broadband connection and frankly wonder why I can't, now that I have paid for the IP and registered my product, play the **** game without hooking up to the web. Daft and before you say it no I can't set my steam account to play offine.

SeaFireLIV
11-26-2004, 10:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WWSensei:

I just don't buy this argument. I do understand you may be strapped for cash but here is the problem I have... You'd spend in excess of $50 (US, convert to your currency as required) on a GAME before you would pay your phone bill? ...and this is the fault of the game company?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was expecting this one...

It`s a pity that some of you really are as limited in your thinking as you are. I will NOT explain my personal life details except to tell you that it is not as black & white and simple as you`d love to think.

Perhaps one day you and others will open your minds up (and imagination) to understand.

And I truly hope you don`t become Prime Minister, President or whatever Leader of a government. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Hawgdog
11-26-2004, 10:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WWSensei:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was expecting this one...

It`s a pity that some of you really are as limited in your thinking as you are. I will NOT explain my personal life details except to tell you that it is not as black & white and simple as you`d love to think.

Perhaps one day you and others will open your minds up (and imagination) to understand.

And I truly hope you don`t become Prime Minister, President or whatever Leader of a government. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Youre right I understand. Who needs a phone when they just released PF?
And if he becomes a world leader I bet the bastid makes everybody work..oh the horror!
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SeaFireLIV
11-26-2004, 11:13 AM
yawn....

1.JaVA_Razer
11-26-2004, 02:42 PM
gees come one.
Unlocking takes like 15 minuts and you can even still surf the net easely.

So you just watch your mails while it gets activated and after 15 minuts you go off line to play
simple no?

Weather_Man
11-26-2004, 04:06 PM
No, it's not that simple. You are required to log in to Steam every time you play offline, even those who bought the retail CDs. It's simply overkill, IMO. Once to activate it should be enough and I wouldn't have a problem with that. But, you need an internet connection and steam account to play, period. You can't even activate by phone or otherwise.

LuckyBoy1
11-26-2004, 05:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Weather_Man:
No, it's not that simple. You are required to log in to Steam every time you play offline, even those who bought the retail CDs. It's simply overkill, IMO. Once to activate it should be enough and I wouldn't have a problem with that. But, you need an internet connection and steam account to play, period. You can't even activate by phone or otherwise. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that's a whole different deal then! Talk about big brother!!! Now I understand!

bazzaah2
11-26-2004, 05:30 PM
get this - if you sell the game your buyer will have to pay Valve $10 for the privelige of setting up a new account to use the DVD. They've figured out how to get money from secondary market in computer games. I suppose some bean counter worked out that loss of good will from this big brother system is worth it compared against the dollar cost of piracy.

Still, it's a great game.

carguy_
11-26-2004, 06:50 PM
I was waiting for HL,not anymore though.Even if I pay for a game I don`t like developers` attitude on this.So every customre is a potential thief...Hmm we`ll see if this gets popular.I mean I really want the game but if the maker says "Pay me money and report everytime you play it offline/online and tell your buddy to give me 10$ or don`t buy the game" I will certainly pass on this.Not worth making my customer status so low,better go play football or something.

I`m sure if Oleg made 3 very bad games he would make me buy them because of his idea of customer-developer relations.Then probably I wouldn`t trust the potential quality but 3 games none the less.

darkhorizon11
11-26-2004, 07:14 PM
My roomate is a Half Life junkie. He actually stayed up the entire night waiting for it to come out. Which it did at 2AM CST. At which point he played it until consecutively until he beat it, about 24 hours later.

He said its a good system and really puts pirating to halt. There's no way to play the game without an internet connection, even if your only playing single player thats the only real pain. I mean people are mad about Valve's attittude towards the consumer and blah blah blah, well to be honest I think Valve may be mad about the consumers who think their entitled to a free copy of the game. The game will still be popular and even though less people will have it than normal thats just because those people would have it illegally.
Besides, the game isn't extra expensive anyway still 40 bucks like every other game.

The only things that would bug me are the no hard copies of the game and the internet connection thing. But if your reformat your drive or something you can still re-download it with your password.

RxMan
11-26-2004, 07:28 PM
I was getting ready to buy HL2 for Christmas, but began wondering. At our Best Buy people have been caught opening boxes, copying serial numbers and leaving. I've also seen games running on their demo computers. If they used a disk to run HL2 and activated it with steam, then resealed it to sell (which is common), or someone returns a copy after activating it, then I buy that box, and try to activate it and BOOM, I cannot!!! Is there a workaround for that! I really enjoyed HL and was looking forward to HL2, but not so sure now. Also I've seen two comments about activation, one said only once, another said for every play session, which is it, truly, from someone who knows personally please.

Weather_Man
11-26-2004, 07:32 PM
There are hard copies available in stores. 5 CDs for $54.99 US. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Weather_Man
11-26-2004, 07:40 PM
Ok, I was wrong. I unplugged my DSL and you can play offline if you disconnect from the internet, as long as your steam account has the user/password stored. It still checks for this before you can play.

huggy87
11-26-2004, 08:17 PM
On a related, but slightly off topic note, I am wondering if I got 'robbed'. I paid $200 for a new video card at best buy 6 months ago. Best Buy advertised that with the purchase of this video card one would receive Half Life 2 for free. Only when I got home, installed the card, and tried to register on Steam to eventually receive my free download, did it become clear that best buy had erred and this 9600XT did not entitle one to a free HL2. By this time I was too lazy to drive back an hour to return the card. I liked the card anyway.

Fast forward 6 months to now. Should I try and get the Best Buy management to give me a free copy of the game? I still have all the original advertisments.

carguy_
11-26-2004, 08:24 PM
LMAO 200 bucks for 9600XT,go get your HL2 man!

huggy87
11-26-2004, 08:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carguy_:
LMAO 200 bucks for 9600XT,go get your HL2 man! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. It just adds salt to the wound that you can get a 9600XT for $99 now. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

FI.Snaphoo
11-26-2004, 11:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carguy_:
I was waiting for HL,not anymore though.Even if I pay for a game I don`t like developers` attitude on this.So every customre is a potential thief... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You obviously haven't been paying attention to the american music moguls doing far worse to customers, and potential customers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hmm we`ll see if this gets popular.I mean I really want the game but if the maker says "Pay me money and report everytime you play it offline/online and tell your buddy to give me 10$ or don`t buy the game" I will certainly pass on this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Certainly your right as a consumer to do so. But could it be that they were perhaps trying, success of this has yet to be determined, to protect the rightful purchaser of the game? It's not that much different than having to log in everytime you get on a MMORPG, with the major exception of you're not "online" or on a server. Nobody seems to be complaining when they have to connect to steam to play CS:Source.

This way they can ensure that the people enjoying their game are people, and only those, who purchased the game. It's their intelectual property. And in this "sue-happy" society where such a phrase as "intelectual property" can be coined, they have every right to protect it. The CD is yours, the content is solely theirs. And they've made that claim. If you want to let them keep it, it's up to you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Not worth making my customer status so low,better go play football or something. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go ahead, I'll be playing HL2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

and PF.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I`m sure if Oleg made 3 very bad games he would make me buy them because of his idea of customer-developer relations.Then probably I wouldn`t trust the potential quality but 3 games none the less. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But neither company has made a bad game. The game isn't at question here. It's a good, or at least better than average, game IMO. Many others who are playing it, feel the same way. The ones that I've heard with the greatest problem haven't even bought the game yet, they have merely heard about it from a friend, or from internet sources like this one. I understand that there are those who have bought it and aren't happy. The ones that I run into seem to be bothered before they've even made a purchase. Like carguy here.

It says clearly on the box and on the site internet connection required, if you buy it after that, its all on you. And it is that simple. Complaints after that should be leveled at Valve, not in various forums accross the internet.

I'm not saying it's not a bothersome issue. But if you can't deal with it, or connect to the internet, then don't buy it. That will send the message to Valve to re-release the software without the internet restriction. If you talk to these companies where they feel it most, their financial accounts, they will listen. But complaining only bolsters their resolve because, as has been pointed out here, they believe that only the dishonest will be bothered by the issue.

RobertNighthawk
11-27-2004, 03:11 AM
To anybody who thinks stealing is ok or some sort of "right". Think of it as someone stealing your paycheck...for months. Had you lost tens of thousands of dollars from pirates/downloads of your heartfelt original material, would you be inclined to put some more fresh pies in the open window to cool?

Art is fragile and needs support. My partner's music has been stolen (napster) and now he has another cd ready to be mastered but no funds to do it. That's where the rubber hits the road in art. Stealing art kills it. It is immoral. Were such wholesale conspicuous stealing affecting attorneys or bankers or candlestick makers, there would have been an end to it long ago. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Besides, stolen copies are cursed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

http://www.digitalend.com/pics/idhitit3.jpg

OldMan____
11-27-2004, 05:09 AM
I am a game developer and while I now how hard it is to have your work robbed by piracy, this system seems !@!@%#!&%!#&*(% to me. It classifies you as a thief unless you prove the oposite. I get insulted by that and will never buy HL2.. even bought an extra D3 copy just as revenge

FI.Snaphoo
11-27-2004, 05:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OldMan____:
I am a game developer and while I now how hard it is to have your work robbed by piracy, this system seems !@!@%#!&%!#&*(% to me. It classifies you as a thief unless you prove the oposite. I get insulted by that and will never buy HL2.. even bought an extra D3 copy just as revenge <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can I have your extra copy of D3?
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Yeah, I didn't think so either.

NerdConnected
11-27-2004, 07:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Weather_Man:
No, it's not that simple. You are required to log in to Steam every time you play offline, even those who bought the retail CDs. It's simply overkill, IMO. Once to activate it should be enough and I wouldn't have a problem with that. But, you need an internet connection and steam account to play, period. You can't even activate by phone or otherwise. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure? I can play offline when my connection is down. Steam has a option to cache your account when you're offline. With the latest update this is enbled by default.

Mark