PDA

View Full Version : reinstall windows?

papotex
08-15-2006, 01:46 PM
i downloaded the MS FSX from australia and the ZIp file wich contained the program had something that it tottaly screwed up my computer.
i mean to the point i am going to have to reinstall windows. my hard drive is even doing these hizzing noises i never heard before.

I tried to inser the windows XP cd but it tells me i cant reinstall because i have a newer version(since i have upgraded)

is there a way about doing this?
or, is there a way to install another instance of windows, maybe in another partition?
i just want to save old settings for all the other suff i had.

apreciated

papotex
08-15-2006, 01:46 PM
i downloaded the MS FSX from australia and the ZIp file wich contained the program had something that it tottaly screwed up my computer.
i mean to the point i am going to have to reinstall windows. my hard drive is even doing these hizzing noises i never heard before.

I tried to inser the windows XP cd but it tells me i cant reinstall because i have a newer version(since i have upgraded)

is there a way about doing this?
or, is there a way to install another instance of windows, maybe in another partition?
i just want to save old settings for all the other suff i had.

apreciated

Hashmark13
08-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Have you tried safe mode?

Boot in safe mode, remove all registry entries relating to Flight Simulator X (use the find function in regedit).

Remove all files relating to FSX.

If that doesn't work, try one of the following, preferrably Erd Commander.

Get Wintel's Erd Commander, or borrow it/have a PC Tech with a similar utility come over, boot it up, and do a System Restore.

Simple as that.

In the event that you want to go the free and more efficient route ( i dont trust System Restore ) use FDISK. Google it, download, put it on a floppy. If you're like me and don't have a Floppy drive, get UBCD and one of the utilities has FDISK.

www.ubcd.com (http://www.ubcd.com)

Run FDISK, reformat your drive (NTFS preferrably).

This will erase ALL files. Nothing will remain, so back up personal and important files to another harddrive or CD's/DVD's if you can afford that sort of thing.

*Edit: Software can't really damage harddrives to the point of making "hizzing" sounds. Perhaps the installation of MSX and the failing of your harddrive just so happened to be on the same day. I would go ahead with the above, as I've had drives do funny things like that and quit malfunctioning magically (I'm running on, and relying on one).

FoolTrottel
08-15-2006, 06:03 PM
What Hashmarks said... and you can also boot the pc from the XP CDrom, and delete partition(s!) and/or reformat from using XP's setup!
You can install Windows into a different partition from the CD too... if that partition is already there that is....

(You should also open up the pc and check if it's not dusted up. Heat can ruin a disk!)

papotex
08-15-2006, 08:06 PM
thanks for the reply guys.

ok, MSFSX was never installed.
i downloaded the demo from australia and it came in the form of a zip file.

i double clicked on the zip file and it started to decompress the set-up for MSFSX and it took a while i thought.

then after it finished decompressing, instead of
the set up window for MSFSX, it just showed a box telling me "set up is ready, restart the computer" so i pressed the OK button.

so what ever it was i downloaded was something that screwed up windows boot files, and as the computer tries to start and looks for the boot files it gets stuck and starts doing those hizzing sounds.

the thing is that if i run a check disk it ll start to find errors such as "disck check can not continue because of unspecified errors"

if i leave the computer sorting it self out, it will take a while but windows does finally gets to the desk top.

now get this.... when i finally got the pc to get to the desktop and went to the system restore points I know i had because i did one 2 days earlier and guess what... ALL SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS WERE MISSING!!!

so all im saying is that theres that file runing around WATCH OUT