PDA

View Full Version : Dislike fighters?

S 8
03-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Looking throuh my book Aircraft Anatomy WW2 and got to the Me 262 pages.Looking at the foldup and reading about armament and read:The fighter-bomber version of the Me 262 was dubbed Sturmvogel to distinguish it from the standard fighter.It differed from the latter(fighters)only in having bomb fusing equipment and provision for two undernose pylons which could accomondate a pair of 250kg bombs or a single 500kg bomb.These aircraft where referred to as "Super Speed Bombers" because Hitler hated the use of the term "fighter" even in the phrase "fighter-bomber".
So,he disliked fighters too?

VF51_Flatspin
03-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Well, can't really speak for Hitler, but he was a veteran of the Great War where 'fighters' were called 'scouts'.

LEXX_Luthor
03-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Maybe he was mad at the fighters for not stopping the bombings.

LStarosta
03-02-2005, 04:10 PM
I think there are a lot of things Hitler disliked, most of which were more important than "fighters" ...

ColoradoBBQ
03-02-2005, 04:16 PM
This is when the Mossie and the Tempest were giving the Luftwaffe headaches with their high speed bombing attacks. Hitler wanted to give the same treatment to Britain and ordered Goriegn to make the Me-262 a bomber. Goriegn disobeyed the order but covered it up by giving it a bomber designation.