PDA

View Full Version : How did the war between Georgia and Russia start?

SFisher1993
08-11-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't watch the news so I have no idea what happened. So how did it start?

halo_99
08-11-2008, 12:45 PM
South Ossetia is an area of Georgia that wanted to be independent, so by majority vote (99%), they go and do their own thing (much like Quebec and Canada, except Canada had the majority vote and Quebec stayed). In early August 2008, Georgia decides to once again have full control over South Ossetia. Of course the Ossetians don't want this, so they get help from the Russian army, war is declared and thousands of people end up being unnecessarily murdered.

SFisher1993
08-11-2008, 01:05 PM
That sucks. Like we need another war right now when the U.S. and iraq are still at each other's throats.

halo_99
08-11-2008, 01:35 PM
There's also the war in Chechnya that has almost been going on for 20 years, the genocide in Darfur, Afghanistan, Libya, and of course the war betwen Israel and Palestine that has been going on for over a hundred years. Plus countless civil and guerilla wars around the world. The human race is really messed up.

SFisher1993
08-11-2008, 02:06 PM
What's next, another cold war?

P-DRIZZL3
08-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by SFisher1993:
I don't watch the news so I have no idea what happened. So how did it start? Brett Farve left the Green Bay Packers is how it started!!!!! Those Russians can't settle for being Jets fans now can they?

SFisher1993
08-11-2008, 04:29 PM
lol.

ERN456
08-11-2008, 05:16 PM
That sucks. Like we need another war right now when the U.S. and iraq are still at each other's throats.

Thats our fault well at least some of our fault since half of the country and more voted for Republicans and Mccain is Bush part 2 so I hope he doesnt win. On the other hand the elections couldve been rigged in 2000 but I doubt it. Damn President doesnt know anything. First Iraq, then Iran and now Russia and we cant forget about North Korea and China. This country is so messed up with the conspiracies and the republicans. Theres also the Blackwater mercenary thing going on too.

SFisher1993
08-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Let's hope these wars don't last much longer.

halo_99
08-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by ERN456:
First Iraq, then Iran and now Russia and we cant forget about North Korea and China.

The United States has nothing to do with the war between Russia and Georgia. Let's hope it stays that way.

savior2006
08-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Halo_99:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ERN456:
First Iraq, then Iran and now Russia and we cant forget about North Korea and China.

The United States has nothing to do with the war between Russia and Georgia. Let's hope it stays that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed. But if McCain becomes President, it won't stay that way. I'm sure of it. He's a nice guy and all but Republicans can be very gung-ho on their foreign policies.

SFisher1993
08-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Yes they can.

VTAssault
08-11-2008, 09:03 PM
The United States has nothing to do with the war between Russia and Georgia. Let's hope it stays that way.

Not entirely true. The whole "war on terror" set the stage for the invasion into Georgia.

Russia is using the term Terrorists to justify invasion. Similar to what we did.

Also not a war yet, because no one has declared war. Just an invasion, a terrible terrible invasion.

halo_99
08-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by VTAssault:
Also not a war yet, because no one has declared war. Just an invasion, a terrible terrible invasion.

That's true, but give it a few more days. Things are definitely heading in that direction.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/09/georgia.russia2

JohnsHomegirl
08-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by P-DRIZZL3:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SFisher1993:
I don't watch the news so I have no idea what happened. So how did it start? Brett Farve left the Green Bay Packers is how it started!!!!! Those Russians can't settle for being Jets fans now can they? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My brother is a Jets fan. He's happy.

ERN456
08-11-2008, 09:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ERN456:

The United States has nothing to do with the war between Russia and Georgia. Let's hope it stays that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully not but our stupid President is still messing with Russia telling them to back off I hope he doesnt get involved because were still at war thanks to that *******.

SFisher1993
08-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Will it be much different one Bush is out of office?

quillan
08-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Probably not. Our government is quite moronic, and I don't think it'll change no matter who gets elected. I can't tell the difference between them anymore apart from rhetoric; in practice they might as well be the same.

scworld
08-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Stupid conflict. A probably Russian bombing killed a Dutch cameraman and a sound technician was injured. They are fighting for what... stupid land? meh. Unnecessary.

SFisher1993
08-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Very unnecessary/

ERN456
08-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by quillan:
Probably not. Our government is quite moronic, and I don't think it'll change no matter who gets elected. I can't tell the difference between them anymore apart from rhetoric; in practice they might as well be the same.

I agree these days the government is so screwed up that its to hard to fix the mess theyve made it doesnt even matter whos elected these days.

WhiteKnight77
08-12-2008, 11:18 PM
There is a really good discussion of this going on at the GhostRecon.net (http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=49832) forums. After all, what a better place to discuss this than on forums where Ghost Recon is coming true? It may be a bit eye opening to know that it isn't the US like some of you think.

ERN456
08-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Its not so far from SCs story either since it began with the Georgian president dying in South Ossetia but I guess that hasnt happened yet and I hope no Nikoladze comes out of nowhere with algorithms that can hack the worlds most important economical stuff.

quillan
08-13-2008, 08:41 AM
WK, wasn't the original Ghost Recon made back when Tom Clancy was still directly involved? He's always been good at predicting near future political/military events.

WhiteKnight77
08-13-2008, 10:58 AM
While Clancy did own RSE when GR was first started, he sold it to Ubi before the game was released. For the record, Brian Upton was the creator for the GR story.

SFisher1993
08-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by ERN456:
Its not so far from SCs story either since it began with the Georgian president dying in South Ossetia but I guess that hasnt happened yet and I hope no Nikoladze comes out of nowhere with algorithms that can hack the worlds most important economical stuff.

I thought Nikolaidze was a creep. And yes, I hope non of that ever happens.

ERN456
08-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
While Clancy did own RSE when GR was first started, he sold it to Ubi before the game was released. For the record, Brian Upton was the creator for the GR story.

I wish they never sold RSE to UBI at least we wouldnt have these crappy games were getting now.

halo_99
08-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Photos that have been taken in the past few days (some of them are a bit graphic)

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/08/war_in_south_ossetia.html

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/europe/features/..._-_August_9th?page=1 (http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/europe/features/article_1422673.php/In_photos_Georgia_South_Ossetia_Conflict_-_August_9th?page=1)

SFisher1993
08-14-2008, 12:23 AM
I like the Russians, but what there doing to these innocent Georgians is absurd.

Icecube1137
08-14-2008, 03:03 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_blog_entry.php?topi...g=latestnews;title;3 (http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26540249&sid=6195874&action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;3)

*Note to self:
War with Mexico in 2012, world war 3 in 2020*

halo_99
08-14-2008, 08:28 PM
I like the Russians, but what there doing to these innocent Georgians is absurd.

What we're doing to the Iraqis and Afghans isn't exactly wonderful, either.

savior2006
08-14-2008, 09:00 PM
I know one thing. I better not see any Apocalypses, Cataclysms, Armageddons or Ragnarφks roll around in my lifetime. My generation has been kicked in the teeth already, so I hope that at least the end of the freaking world doesn't happen.
Edit: I took one of the comments from the linked webpage and put it in a small book of "quotes to remember" I was making. Nothing special to them, just stuff I enjoyed hearing.

halo_99
08-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Here is a FAQ that I had found about this situation, hopefully it will clear up a lot of things.

Q: Why did evil Russians invade Georgia, occupied it, murdered civilians, raped Georgian women, and try to steal democracy, and annex Georgia?
A: Russians did NOT invade Georgia, Russians were responding TO Georgian invasion. After Georgians murdered 2,000 South Ossetian citizens based on their ethnicity (Ossetian) launching cowardly genocide invasion on the night of Olympic games which suppose to be universal showing of peace.
Russians had to attack the invading GEORGIAN FORCES, and disable military capacity of Georgia to launch additional strikes against South Ossetia and Abkazia. This is why strikes were carried out against Georgian MILITARY objects outside of South Ossetia.

Q: But Georgia is protecting its territorial integrity, Russians have no right to cross into foreign country?
A: In a nutshell - Russian peacekeeper presence was ASKED for by former president of independent Georgia – Eduard Shevarandze. Both Georgian and Russian peacekeepers were supposed to ensure the border safety of this disputed region after analogous failed invasion back in 1991-1992 (look it up in Wikipedia) which resulted in immense death of civilian population. During that time Georgian radical line was OPENLY calling for genocide, calling for either "forcing" Ossetians to become Georgians, or else. Conflict continued for 15 years with regions of Abkhazia, South Ossetia, and Ajaria. 100s of South Ossetian villages were destroyed, only 1 ! Georgian (even during the Russian peacekeeping missions), 1000s of Ossetian civilians had to fled to North Ossetia from Georgian provocations, sniper attacks, assassinations, and other violence.

Q: I see images of devastations of Georgian towns and villages, civilians mourning the dead supposedly killed by Russian forces, and reports of Russians advancing at Georgian capital Tbilisi. Are Russians trying to conquer Georgia and subject it to their rule? This is disproportionate response!
A: If you have been following this conflict you can probably comment on every single provocation news or image made available by American mainstream media to push for their propaganda – i.e. photo op of guy mourning supposed dead relative while changing shirts and poses, strike on a "civilian" building in Gori – which even from the pictures made available appears to be military barracks. Yes, in war you have to attack enemy forces – isn't it Bush's doctrine of "pre-emption" – strike enemy forces and evil-doers before they strike you.

Q: OK, so it is cease fire, why aren't Russians withdrawing?
A: Russians want to ensure peace in the region, this is the part of ensuring stability, with a number of journalist already killed and continuous provocations. Russians will withdraw gradually once the peace agreement between all parties involved is in place.

Q: Is this Russian imperialist/Soviet expansion revival, just like invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968?
A: No, Russia has no interest in conquering/ aggressively expanding their rule, and imposing their regimes in other independent nations. In fact, there is only one other superpower that does it these days – guess which one?!

Q: But Saakashvilli sounds so convincing with EU flags in the background
when Wolf Blitzer interviews him, how can I NOT believe anything that CNN says?! You mean the world is not centered around USA and US geo-political interests? America only spreads freedom and democracy, and NATO is the tool for that?! The defensive missile shield only meant to protect against Iranian nuclear weapons?! Syria, Venezuela, Russia, Lebanon, Iran, China etc. etc. etc. are all axis of evil, and are due for "democratic" change through violent military invasion or nuclear attack according to John McCain and Bush?!
A: Be creative with this

savior2006
08-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Where'd you get all these facts from Halo? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
Everything I've been looking at so far is Anti-Russian. Of course I knew Georgia started it by shooting people, but it looked like Russia was mobilizing to squish a little country and make it its own.