PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft weight

Jex_TG
03-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Hi Guys,

I understand that weight affects the characteristics of the planes. So full fuel, high bomb load is slower/less manoeuvreable then light fuel, no bombs.

But what about cannon and MG ammo? If I dump all my cannon and MG ammo can I gain a little more speed?

I ask this because on HL yesterday we were using the P38L for bombing runs on the Japanese carriers. We thought that our cannon/mg ammo was pointless to have because we weren't going to engage enemy fighters. We wanted instead to bomb and then run like hell.

SO if we shoot all our rounds put, will we gain some speed?

Thx.

Jex_TG
03-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Hi Guys,

I understand that weight affects the characteristics of the planes. So full fuel, high bomb load is slower/less manoeuvreable then light fuel, no bombs.

But what about cannon and MG ammo? If I dump all my cannon and MG ammo can I gain a little more speed?

I ask this because on HL yesterday we were using the P38L for bombing runs on the Japanese carriers. We thought that our cannon/mg ammo was pointless to have because we weren't going to engage enemy fighters. We wanted instead to bomb and then run like hell.

SO if we shoot all our rounds put, will we gain some speed?

Thx.

argnan
03-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Well in theory that must be correct....(though i don't thing that bullets compering to a plane are that heavy). BUT the game... I don't thing that is simulating THAT mutch...

Zeus-cat
03-21-2005, 04:02 PM
I have read somehwere that ammo weight is modelled, but I have to believe if it is, it has a very minor effect.

Anyway, I would never waste my ammo if there are enemy planes anywhere near me at any time during the flight. If there are no planes and you are running from the ship's AAA, the weight of the ammo couldn't slow you down more than a fraction of a second, so again, it isn't worth it to leave yourself defenseless.

Zeus-cat

-HH- Beebop
03-21-2005, 04:22 PM
There is a negligible effect.

In air racing ammo is not allowed to keep the participants from shooting each other (except for the final "HOT" race). However a full ammo load will slow you down by a kilometer or two and in air racing that's all the difference between winning and being an also-ran.

For combat, I agree with Zues-cat. Don't leave yourself defenseless for a tiny bit of speed.

TX-EcoDragon
03-21-2005, 05:11 PM
The sim does model the weight of the ammo, it's not a major change, but I have noticed that it does seem to be modeled. For example in formation aerobatics, if I leave ammo loaded and the rest of my flight has none I will overheat to keep up where usually I won't. This is when flying in a common configuration with entry speeds and altitude that are more or less identical between flights.