PDA

View Full Version : Officers in Royal Navy squadrons

huggy87
11-15-2004, 07:48 PM
I am currently flying a royal navy seafire campaign. I noticed there are only three commissioned line officers in my unit. The rest being warrant officers, cpos, and petty officers. I have not done too much reading on the royal navy and I was surprised to see they had mostly enlisted pilots in the game. Is that accurate? I know most air forces, for whatever reason, eventually commissioned most of their pilots.

Snuffy Smith
11-15-2004, 10:52 PM
Yes, that is correct. The lowest fully commissioned rank in the Royal Navy was Sub-lieutenant, the equal of First Lieutenant in the Army. The Royal Navy did not have the rank of Ensign. Flight CPOs and Warrent Officers made up a significant number of their operational pilots. In the US Navy Midshipman did not go to sea except on summer training cruises. In the Royal Navy Midshipmen went operationally on warships, and there were always Snotties about with the fleet (Snotty nosed=Midshipmen). Midshipmen performed the functions of Ensigns in the US Navy, but they were too young to be pilots.

x__CRASH__x
11-16-2004, 02:29 AM
Whats wrong with Petty Officers??

RAC_Pips
11-16-2004, 04:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snuffy Smith:
Yes, that is correct. The lowest fully commissioned rank in the Royal Navy was Sub-lieutenant, the equal of First Lieutenant in the Army. The Royal Navy did not have the rank of Ensign. Flight CPOs and Warrent Officers made up a significant number of their operational pilots. In the US Navy Midshipman did not go to sea except on summer training cruises. In the Royal Navy Midshipmen went operationally on warships, and there were always Snotties about with the fleet (Snotty nosed=Midshipmen). Midshipmen performed the functions of Ensigns in the US Navy, but they were too young to be pilots. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No that is incorrect. In the RN Midshipman are in fact a commissioned rank.

In the FAA (Fleet Air Arm) new pilots started out with the rank of Midshipman, and progressed to Sub Lieutenant, Lieutenant, Lieutenant Commander and Commander.

Being the class-conscience organisation that it was, the Royal Navy did not have non-commissioned officers as pilots (eg Petty officers and Chief Petty Officers); unlike the more liberal RAF - which did.

However PO's and CPO's were used to form part of the aircrew, as Navigators and gunners in Fairey Swordfish and Avengers, and as back seat observers in Fulmars and Firefly's.

huggy87
11-16-2004, 08:24 PM
I guess the game must be incorrect then. My squadron has only three line officers. There are about 7 warrants and the rest are POs and CPOs.

Oh, and absolutely nothing is wrong with Petty Officers Crash