PDA

View Full Version : The better way to counter (in AC2).

adarwinter
03-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Hmm, i just found out about this and i have a feeling that it isn't a well known combat move since i've never heard anyone talk about it.

As u know, if u counter in AC2 u won't kill the enemies unless they are agile or the simplest ones. It will take out a diamond of health but wont cause death.

However there is another type of counter that can kill an enemy with 2 strikes. even the brutes.

I have afeeling i need to name it since it doesnt seem like UBI did. i will call it "the deflect counter" or "DC" for short.
What u r supposed to do with the DC is block normally (deflect) and right as the enemy's sword slides off Ezio's sword (right after the contact between the swords) u click the attack twice. if u r successful with the timing of the first attack than Ezio will go seamlessly from the deflect into the first attack (sometimes with a spin). the second attack should kill the enemy in one of the finishing animations. it's faster than combo kills and almost un-blockable. and of course its faster than killing a guard with counters.

i have only done it with the sword\mace\knife.

on one side i like it. i can kill the elite guards (ones with swords or maces and helmets) very quickly. it also eats through brutes like butter. it is harder to pull off than the counters since the window for the first attack is very small.

on the other hand i dont like it cuz the combat is too easy as it is. and this kind of counter, not only it's more effective than the normal one, it doesnt have a down side. u cant get hurt from messing up. now i found out an even quicker way to kill those idiotic guards.... :\

just thought u'd wanna know...

obliviondoll
03-24-2010, 05:44 AM
Sounds like you're on PC, right?

Tried the closest equivalent I can manage on my PS3 copy (controllers don't do "clicking"), and doesn't work. Have to actually time the combo kill animation right to land it. And following a deflect with an attack like that almost never gets a solid hit on target.

So on PS3 (and I'm told 360 by a friend with one), a much more effective method is actually to sidestep around the opponent then do the combo attack. Not as fast as you've described, but I'm yet to have it fail except when someone steals the controller out of my hands (not mentioning any names, but glaring at my flatmate rather pointedly)

On the "too easy" side though, if your button mashing is just the right speed, you can string combo kills in AC2 by button mashing (which you could never do in AC1).

adarwinter
03-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
Sounds like you're on PC, right?

Tried the closest equivalent I can manage on my PS3 copy (controllers don't do "clicking"), and doesn't work. Have to actually time the combo kill animation right to land it. And following a deflect with an attack like that almost never gets a solid hit on target.

So on PS3 (and I'm told 360 by a friend with one), a much more effective method is actually to sidestep around the opponent then do the combo attack. Not as fast as you've described, but I'm yet to have it fail except when someone steals the controller out of my hands (not mentioning any names, but glaring at my flatmate rather pointedly)

lol. no friendsd no problems. remember that.
and yeah. im on PC.

i had to try and fail a few times before getting the right timing after the deflect. the most evident way to do it is against brutes. if u can deflect, attack twice and kill a brute than u got it right.
it's harder to do against the normal elite guards. however against THESE guys if they attack i a certain way when u do the DC u can see ezio do a spin attack that isnt done otherwise. the next attack will be a finishing one.