PDA

View Full Version : Flaps alarm sound in FB - how to get rid of?

Odie1974
07-24-2009, 01:36 AM
Hi,

Is there a way of removing the annoying alarm sound in BF's (IL1946) when the flaps are up (e.g. combat setting). It really gets on my nerves, and I am flying the BF a lot now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Is there a sound file that you can delete or some such?

Thx

M_Gunz
07-24-2009, 01:52 AM
You mean the stall warning horn that was really there? Yeah, drop the nose a bit or increase power.

PanzerAce
07-24-2009, 03:20 AM
If you mean the flap warning siren that lets you know when your flaps are down and your gear isn't, then no, you can't get rid of it. It's there for a reason (the original 109s had it).

Really, you shouldn't need to have any flaps deployed with the 109 if you are flying it right.

Odie1974
07-24-2009, 06:46 AM
I mean the flap warning siren, NOT the stall warning horn (which is OK as I do not stall thet often) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And since I am now flying the earlier versions of BFs (f4, G2) I am sometimes using the flaps to tighten my vertical loops (and slowing down of course - I am mostly using "combat" and "take off" settings, which I reset to "raised" when starting the dive) - I can always rebuild my speed when diving, no? Granted - I am practicing vs AI now, against humans it may not work as well...

I can imagine that for later versions (G6 and upwards) the flaps maight not be of much use, but for ealier fighters which can turn quite well? I would thtik that flaps usage should not be ruled out - especially when fighting more agile aircraft...

Or am I missing something?

danjama
07-24-2009, 07:10 AM
Yep you should definitely deploy flaps in tight turns for early 109's. That's exactly what the noise is.

When the flaps are deployed while gear is up, the horn goes off, in case the pilot is thinking of landing without deploying gear. You can't get rid of the noise.

(the 109 doesn't have a stall warning noise).

arjisme
07-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by danjama:
When the flaps are deployed while gear is up, the horn goes off, in case the pilot is thinking of landing without deploying gear. You can't get rid of the noise. Except, perhaps, by finding the sound file and replacing it with one that has silence.

FoolTrottel
07-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by ar****e:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
When the flaps are deployed while gear is up, the horn goes off, in case the pilot is thinking of landing without deploying gear. You can't get rid of the noise. Except, perhaps, by finding the sound file and replacing it with one that has silence. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That won't work, as there are no separate sound files in IL2 Sturmovik 1946.

Odie1974
07-24-2009, 09:52 AM
That won't work, as there are no separate sound files in IL2 Sturmovik 1946.

That's what I was thinking, as I could not find the sound file. But was hoping somebody might know some other way...

Thanks anyway

SeaFireLIV
07-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Why should you remove a sound if it was really there? Often I wish the allied planes had it as I sometimes jamm my flaps because I forget about them during combat. Live with it like the real guys did.

AllorNothing117
07-24-2009, 04:33 PM
As if you'd completly rule out flaps? Thers gonna be atleastone situation where u need them.I don't think there's anything that you can 100% rule out.

M_Gunz
07-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by danjama:
Yep you should definitely deploy flaps in tight turns for early 109's.

Why not just raise/lower your height and use gravity to assist in the turn? Either way saves on energy.

danjama
07-25-2009, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
Yep you should definitely deploy flaps in tight turns for early 109's.

Why not just raise/lower your height and use gravity to assist in the turn? Either way saves on energy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying you never use flaps to tighten your turn against a fast incoming bandit? ESPECIALLY down low, where you have no altitude to convert to energy...

There's nothing wrong with using flaps to tighten that scissors maneuver.

M_Gunz
07-25-2009, 07:13 AM
If there's any way possible I will keep the flaps up and hold onto my energy. Rising the plane to slow down and use
gravity assist (turning aligned more with gravity than horizontal turn, the worst) while storing energy as height is
my #1 choice. Getting off the flat has always been my favorite. There's a good chance that the enemy does not use
the vertical though the best times I've had were against those who did, I'd rather lose to one of those than beat five
who don't. It's like actual fishing, the wild ones are the memorable ones whether you can land them or not at least
when you're going to eat that day whether you catch anything or not -- dry fly is the most exciting fishing I ever did!

If I've gotten so low I can't dive then I've already screwed up or been all but pwned to death except when vulched on
takeoff. When vulched at under 240 kph I don't have a lot of options, I might pop flaps if they're not still down
anyway just to get that little bit extra low speed turn that's not gonna slow me down anyway.

I'd rather use an extra 3 or 4 BCM/ACMs than pop flaps once I'm twice or more stall speed. Flaps for is means desperate!

VW-IceFire
07-25-2009, 08:32 AM
I used to use flaps a lot to tighten turns but most of the time now I keep them in for the same reason that M_Gunz does. I plan further ahead and have that tiny bit of extra energy for a more tactical move.

That said on occasion I'll pop the flaps down to combat but only for the briefest moment.

Xiolablu3
07-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Most of the time you shouldnt have the flaps down anyway, I wouldnt have thought it was that bothersome?

M_Gunz
07-25-2009, 05:19 PM
I got too slow at getting them back up. They rob speed. Even a 10 kph difference in zoom makes a noticeable difference.
It's fine if you make the shot except that once you have you are still slower. If you didn't make the shot or the packet
was dropped online then down low you've just played a good card for nothing.

A good player will base a lot of tactic in suckering an enemy into wasting E and ammo. Bleed em down and pounce.

Odie1974
07-27-2009, 02:04 AM
@M_Gunz, IceFire et al:
I've been practising the vertical fighting yesterday against AI bombers (w/ flaps raised pretty much all the time) - it worked like a charm, much better than going from the 6 on the same level http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I found out that BFs are actually very nice planes to fly, they handle much better for me than the FW's...

Anyways - as I am new to the game, can I ask you for some pointers re vertical fighting, such as: how steep do you go up - currently I tend to go almost vertical till I am almost at stall speed, then I roll over my wing and dive down. I try to time it so that I am above the target when I start the dive and attack at a steep angle.
But maybe, from E retention perspective, it's better to use more shallow climbs / dives? What speeds should I be aiming for in a dive, when climbing etc? Should I throttle down in dive, or rather keep the power at max at all times in combat
(e.g. when crusing I go abt 75% throttle, rads / prop on auto)?

Also: what is preferred armament for later BF's - like do you use Mk108 nose cannon or is it better to use the "default" setup, or some other combinations. W/ the MK 108 usually I can down bombers with around 1 sec bursts (low ammo supply though), with other combinations it takes me much longer to down a plane...

But I don't known what setup is better for killing fighters as I have not practiced that alot.

So what gus would you guys be recommending for different kinds of opponents (bombers/figthers, online vs. offline)

Many thanks, your help is much appreciated

M_Gunz
07-27-2009, 05:52 AM
You generally don't want to pull hard enough angles to bleed your speed, which differs not only plane to plane but load
to load in the same plane, ie fuel, ammo, ordnance. The smoother the maneuver you can get away with better. To that
end try out running your Controls with a good bit of Filter on the stick sliders screen, it will smooth out spikes in
the hardware but also your stick moves. I run 50% for example, there's a slight delay to full move if I jerk the stick
but you can see in the test box that the green square starts moving immediately, just slightly slower than the red.

It'd be a good idea to look up Basic Combat Maneuvers and practice those then Advanced Combat Maneuvers and practice
those as well as transitioning from one to the other until you have that down smooth. In a tight moment a person will
revert to their training if they've had any, a well trained fighter with a lot of moves will be far more versatile
than someone who knows a few good tricks and a rank noob will tend to freeze up just trying to fly.

If you're going to go very fast in a 109 then watch how fast you can change angle. From a distance, the enemy can turn
a hard angle that you can lead by turning a small angle but up close you have to match or beat his turn to pull lead.

If you're not at BnZ speed but still faster than the target then use the vertical to fly a longer path than him, like
yoyos and barrel rolls. You can higher energy and still keep behind him, you can even build the advantage if he will
oblige by continually dodging hard which he may not have much choice about dodging anyway but don't waste too much
ammo pressing the point. If you can fly him into the ground then I say you achieved the better victory.

That should be worth some time even practicing. If you can find a copy of EAW (European Air War) there's an html
Training School that lays a lot of this down very well with illustrations. It's probably the least known feature
of that game! It runs only about 8 megs.

Trefle
07-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Odie1974:
Anyways - as I am new to the game, can I ask you for some pointers re vertical fighting, such as: how steep do you go up - currently I tend to go almost vertical till I am almost at stall speed, then I roll over my wing and dive down. I try to time it so that I am above the target when I start the dive and attack at a steep angle.
But maybe, from E retention perspective, it's better to use more shallow climbs / dives? What speeds should I be aiming for in a dive, when climbing etc? Should I throttle down in dive, or rather keep the power at max at all times in combat
(e.g. when crusing I go abt 75% throttle, rads / prop on auto)?

Also: what is preferred armament for later BF's - like do you use Mk108 nose cannon or is it better to use the "default" setup, or some other combinations. W/ the MK 108 usually I can down bombers with around 1 sec bursts (low ammo supply though), with other combinations it takes me much longer to down a plane...

But I don't known what setup is better for killing fighters as I have not practiced that alot.

So what gus would you guys be recommending for different kinds of opponents (bombers/figthers, online vs. offline)

Many thanks, your help is much appreciated

Hello Odie1974 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

You ask many questions here , i'll try to answer one by one .

How steep do you go in climbs and dives ?
Ok this has no definite answer , it depends the situation ( amount of separation between you and your ennemy ), your initial speed (are you faster or slower than your ennemy ) and how do you want the fight to be (low speed short distance turnfight or do you want to keep your speed and increase the separation with your target in order to limit the risks ) .

Which angle to dive from ?
From my own experience , you can dive from any angle on your target , the important thing being that you do not exceed ~650-700km/h before shooting at your target (unless you suprise her ) , because beyond this speed , you will have problems of elevator authority if your target manoeuvers at the last moment , which can make your attack a failure , it's advised to take the time to manoeuver your 109 in good position before diving on your target (be not too high nor too low above the target , depends your initial speed before the dive ) .

Yes from retention perspective , it's better to proceed with shallow dives and zooms in order to always stay fast and bleed the least energy possible , but in practice all this depends on what your ennemy target does , how he will manoeuver after you make the initial pass on him ,in which energy state he will be in , is he alone , are there some clouds not far where he will be able to hide if he reaches them before you can make another pass etc..

What speed you should aim for climbing ?
Between 250-270 km/h IAS , you will be climbing at the best speed of the 109 , radiator closed makes quite a difference, 109 are very good at spiral climbing

Should you throttle down or go full throttle in a dive ?
Ok , this is an important issue if you want to keep your engine cool and get the best power for prolonged period when you really need it .

When you dive , adjust your throttle so you never exceeed the best RPM settings for optimal thrust , in the case of the Emil for instance , it's around 2300-2400rpm (never go above 2400rpm with Emil ) , so when you dive , it's useless to put 110% throttle (you will overrev and the excess of rpm will actually act as a brake ) , you will actually pick up speed quicker if you lower throttle in order to stay within the best RPM settings/power band

What is my prefered armament for the 109 ?
Ok this depends your style of flying , if like myself you like to shoot from close range (under 160 meters , when the ennemy fills your gunsight )most of the time , then MK.108 is a wonderful weapon , you will swear by it once you get used to low velocity arched trajectory .

If you like to shoot from medium or long distances (like above 300m) and enjoy longer firing time , then i advise you to take the 20mm MG151 because the trajectory is flatter and it is a more accurate gun (longer barrel ) . Both weapons are very good against fighters , against bombers , obviously 30mm guns will have better efficiency since it's a larger caliber , but if you aim very well from far , you can shoot from farther whilst keeping good accuracy with the MG151 (if you aim engines for instance from far )

Odie1974
07-28-2009, 01:41 AM
Guys,

Many thanks for your replies, they do give me some theory background to know at least what I am trying to do http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Gammelpreusse
07-28-2009, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Odie1974:
Guys,

Many thanks for your replies, they do give me some theory background to know at least what I am trying to do http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Something between 20 and 30 mm guns aboard the 109.

The MG151/20 is a very accurate and lethal weapon. Everythings above average in this gun, ROF, muzzle velocity and destructive power. There are better guns out there, but this baby still belongs to the top contenders and will make you happy....if you are good enough in aiming to lay a 1 second burst onto any given target area.

The MK108 is way more destructive, but lacks in accuracy, ROF (still good for a 30mm) and muzzle velocity. That is not a problem as long as you get "close". Imagine the 30 mm as a big bad a$$ shotgun. Everything coming near those shells will have problems, even B-29s.

So it depends on your flying skills and tactics, but also targets what gun to use. The 30 mm obviously will have their best results when employed against bomber aircraft.

I personally got so used to work my way really close to a bandit before opening fire I have no problem using the MK108 to devastating effect. I still prefer the 20 mm, however, as routine simply brought me more in tune with this weapon.