PDA

View Full Version : PCI Express?

deltorro
11-14-2004, 07:12 PM
I've decided to upgrade the vid card in my rig to the famed 6800gt....however comma my mainboard dosn't support PCI express. It's a 865pe neo2 MSI board which is pretty good so I'm not looking to replace it.

Question is, Should I stick with the GF4400Ti that I have now and use the AGP, or still get the PCI Express type 6800....

Troll2k
11-14-2004, 07:44 PM
I would stick with what you have for a bit.Right now there are no games that take advantage of the pci-express benefits.

Also when there are games that use these features there will probably be 2nd generation cards available.(and motherboards)

deltorro
11-14-2004, 09:30 PM
Either way, I still would like to upgrade the card. Right now I'm running on a 1024 resolution, some of the details dummed down, and 4X AA, but still can't get past about 20 FPS. Right now I think the Vid Card is the oldest piece in my PC.

Oilburner_TAW
11-15-2004, 03:58 AM
the 6800's also come in AGP....

Patches30
11-15-2004, 04:28 AM
err, yeah the AGP system is still the most widely supported system. PCI-X is really a 64-bit expansion bus, not fully supported. And, in the face of AGP Pro cards like the 3dlabs cards http://www.3dlabs.com PCI-X has a few years of development to go. I still don't understand why MB designers dont use the AGP Pro system with PCI-X as an expansion bus. So far as I know and please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Peripheral Component Interconnect eXpress bus is only single-data-rate at 64-bits wide, though it supports hyperactive clock speeds. the reason we say '8x' AGP is because it essentially transsfers data 8x in a single cycle.

GoToAway
11-15-2004, 04:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patches30:
err, yeah the AGP system is still the most widely supported system. PCI-X is really a 64-bit expansion bus, not fully supported. And, in the face of AGP Pro cards like the 3dlabs cards http://www.3dlabs.com PCI-X has a few years of development to go. I still don't understand why MB designers dont use the AGP Pro system with PCI-X as an expansion bus. So far as I know and please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Peripheral Component Interconnect eXpress bus is only single-data-rate at 64-bits wide, though it supports hyperactive clock speeds. the reason we say '8x' AGP is because it essentially transsfers data 8x in a single cycle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>PCI-X and PCI-Express are two entirely different things. There is not a consumer board in existence with a PCI-X bus, and there never will be.

In any event, way too much fuss is being made about PCI-Express. The simple fact of the matter is that 99% of home users are not saturating anything, be it their 32-bit 33MHz PCI bus or 8x AGP.

Don't worry about PCI-Express at this point. Get yourself an AGP 6800GT. It'll last you for a couple of years, and by then you'll have to upgrade your motherboard anyway for a new processor.

Brock.Landers
11-15-2004, 05:24 AM
Sound advice.
Im waiting unitl PCI=Express matures a bit more and will probably build a new machine late next summer.

Your AGP 6800 has ooomph in spades so I wouldn't worry about a purchase now.