PDA

View Full Version : OT: Best MP3 player for about 150?

dazza9806482
11-22-2005, 03:56 AM
Hi all

Girlfriend is buying me an MP3 for chrimbo. Ive been researching it and have came to the conclusion that the Ipod Nano is in fact the best...

i wanted to not follow the crowd, but seems apple=best.

anyone else got any ideas?

Ideally Id want one that plays OGG Vorbis files- but more important is the ease of use of the software.

say for example I had a 'friend' who had a lot of unlicensed tracks. say i wanted to show him the error of his ways by putting all of these ripped tracks on my new player and then showing him the error of his ways through the medium of dance.....

thanks, glasshouses and all that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

stathem
11-22-2005, 05:24 AM
You'll break it...

georgeo76
11-22-2005, 05:45 AM
Apple makes good products with outstanding design. Only problem is that for every $100 you spend, your paying $80 for cool and $20 for technology.

arjisme
11-22-2005, 07:46 AM
There is no perfect DAP. They all represent a compromise somewhere. Calling the Nano "the best" is pointless without first laying out the criteria for judgement. Best for you, perhaps, given what you want in a player, but not for me for instance.

If you want ogg vorbis support, the Nano won't cut it. Also, ease of use is certainly Apple's forte, but in truth, the other DAPs are easy to use too. They may be less intuitive out-of-the box, but a few minutes playing with them and/or reading their manuals and you will know how to use whatever you buy going forward.

Best suggestion: make a list of the features you really think you want in a DAP. Then start researching them to see what matches that list best. One decent site for reviewing these is http://www.dapreview.com.

BaldieJr
11-22-2005, 07:52 AM
I got a sony personal radio with weather for $15 bucks. Talk about handy. I love technology.

ploughman
11-22-2005, 09:04 AM
I got a Rio Carbon 5 Gb for some money, less than 150 for sure. There was a Rio Karma that had lots of colourful lights on it and 20 Gb, enough to store my entire personality on I think, and it's pretty snappy looking. Does all that Og Vorbis encoding too, unlike mine which only glows menacingly when I turn it on, and isn't 'cool' like an I-pod so you're not paying for schnizel.

Airmail109
11-22-2005, 11:25 AM
3 of my friends at college had nanos, they all sent them back. Loadsa ppl i know have sent their ipods back due to defects, it seem their popularity is waning at my college.

HayateAce
11-22-2005, 11:29 AM
http://www.eticketride.org/wpblog/wp-content/images/apple_nano.jpg

Anyone who tells you otherwise is kidding themselves because they can't swing one, are simply aren't cool enough to own an Apple design.

MOH_SKID.
11-22-2005, 11:37 AM
dazza,

I'd like to suggest an iRiver. I have the 1 GB IFP-799 model. It handles many formats, including oggs, it can record and encode via built-in mic or line-in jack, it has an FM tuner too. I'm very pleased with mine. The ogg support was one of my main selection criteria; the second one was I was not "locked-in" to any proprietary hardware vendor.

S~
Skid

MEGILE
11-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Creative zen Touch.

Doubles up as a blunt weapon.

arjisme
11-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by HayateAce:
http://www.eticketride.org/wpblog/wp-content/images/apple_nano.jpg

Anyone who tells you otherwise is kidding themselves because they can't swing one, are simply aren't cool enough to own an Apple design. LOL. I've seen some people claim that the iPod represents and is a way of life. If you think there are Oleg fanbois, wait until you offend Club iPod!

Personally, I shopped and bought a DAP based on it's music capabilities, not on what it could do for my social life. ;-)

VW-IceFire
11-22-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm a proud owner of a Creative Zen Micro. A relatively tough, fully featured, and small MP3 player.

I've got the 5GB version in navy blue http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Has custom EQ settings, playlists, FM radio tuner (not the greatest but it works), FM radio recording, voice recordng, about 12 hours of effective battery use before it goes dry, and so on. The software it ships with is ok...not the greatest and not the worst.

I haven't done any firmware upgrades so I'm not sure on OGG support.

Personally, there were two features that make this better than iPod Mini (and now the Nano).

1) Removable battery - if the battery toasts itself...and it will because all lithium ion rechargables eventually kick the bucket then you can easily buy a new replacement battery and toss it in. With the iPod you send it to Apple and wait your 6-8 weeks while they install a new one and probably wipe out all your data (it has happened).

2) 96dB SNR (signal to noise ratio) - I'm not sure about the iRivers but I think the Zen Micro has the best SNR of any small size MP3 player on the market. Although Apple doesn't officially publish their SNR ratings its estimated to be 85db to 90db. 6 dB SNR (its measured on a curve and not a straight line so there is a decent bit of difference) isn't a huge difference in quality but it is a difference and if you're like me you can probably hear it.

BaldieJr
11-22-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm sweatin to the oldies my cool-cats. Words!

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/spcialty/2850.jpg

Consumerism is a great hobby but it requires sharp thinking.

SeaFireLIV
11-22-2005, 03:31 PM
I like my music and I do most of my art stuff to music.

But I never was interested in the mp3 thingy-twaddle until my daughter started bugging me for one for her birthday last week.

I guess I can see the advantage of these things now. Oh, I got her the player, but 150? Yea right, 59 will do her fine!

And no using it in the classroom either!

arjisme
11-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by BaldieJr:
I'm sweatin to the oldies my cool-cats. Words! A radio's nice to have. I have an iRiver H-120, which is a 20GB hard drive-based player. It can hold almost all the CDs I own, which was something I wanted. It also has an FM radio which, as I said, is nice to have at times. The thing is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, so it is extremely handy to have it tucked in a pocket and listen to whatever I feel like listening to at the time. Great for long commutes on the train!

polak5
11-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by MOH_SKID.:
dazza,

I'd like to suggest an iRiver. I have the 1 GB IFP-799 model. It handles many formats, including oggs, it can record and encode via built-in mic or line-in jack, it has an FM tuner too. I'm very pleased with mine. The ogg support was one of my main selection criteria; the second one was I was not "locked-in" to any proprietary hardware vendor.

S~
Skid

I would also sugest this depending on ur use. I was at first going to get a Ipod but since i wanted it for when i was riding BMX, I thought it would be to fragile. The Iriver is great just what i need and if it ever breaks its cheaper to replace.