PDA

View Full Version : Two explosion sounds theory...

EFileTahi
01-24-2005, 10:33 AM
If the sound travels faster underwater, should not we listen two explosions then? I mean, one explosion sound underwater and another explosion sound through air?

bertgang
01-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Faster? Are you sure?
I know only that water, like other materials, drive the sound on longer distances.

blue_76
01-24-2005, 10:51 AM
yes, sound travels faster underwater.. so, lets say the sub is on the surface and the captain is on top.. the people in the sub underwater will hear the sound and the captain later.. depending on the distance of course..

Licula
01-24-2005, 10:54 AM
With the speed sound travels, it would probably just seem like a longer explosion. Unless you were really far away, in which case you wouldn't have caused the explosion and probably couldn't see if it were one or two.

EFileTahi
01-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Realy nice, Will this small detail be included in the game?

OMG! We have so much but still, we always want more! Human nature...

Messervy
01-24-2005, 11:26 AM
I am yet to see a game where the sound delay will be implemented.

StylezXP
01-24-2005, 11:30 AM
"I am yet to see a game where the sound delay will be implemented"

Operation Flashpoint has it. As well as Halflife-2 to an extent. Operation Flashpoint's is bang on though. Nothing like hearing a bullet kick up dirt around you and then hearing the shot a second and half later.

Messervy
01-24-2005, 11:35 AM
I heard that game (operation Flashpoint) made poeople that never played FPS talk about it for hours on end.

SailorSteve
01-24-2005, 11:57 AM
It's probably like the hydrophones-they don't work as well on the surface. What I mean is, If you're on the bridge you won't hear the sound coming through the water, and if you're inside you won't hear the sound coming through the air.

Has anyone ever reported hearing two separate sounds, or is this all speculation?

blue_76
01-24-2005, 12:31 PM
hehe, of course, you are right sailorsteve.. you cannot be in a position tho hear both sounds at once.. at least not that i know of.. perhaps only if you are far away from the target.. but then, you'll have to be pretty far off... but if you take two people and have them raise their hands when they hear the sound.. the one under will raise his hand first http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Leif...
01-24-2005, 01:53 PM
It€s the third time this question comes up, anyhow I would be happy if they implement one delay. No delay however is realy ugly.

Leif€¦

Yarrick_
01-24-2005, 01:58 PM
Well, I belive that if you are on surface and you have, of course, ventilation switched one, then it means that you will hear the explosion only through air.
Did the sonar worked on surface? This could be the only way to hear the explosion so delayed.

DO you remember when in Das Boot they are worried because they heard the torpedo impact later? May this mean that this was this feature what was displayed?

Dominicrigg
01-24-2005, 03:50 PM
They were worried in das boot because that was the calculated impact time. It was either miscalculated or they hit another ship nothing more.

The distances involved would not matter about hearing first in water or hearing first underwater. Since you can only be in one place at one time this has to be a really pointless feature.

You will be shooting things at the most about 4km away not 20 miles...

jmuhlman
01-24-2005, 06:05 PM
the answer is YES, there is a shockwave traveling through the water that you would feel a split second or maybe a second before you heard the sound, if you were on the surface. of course you would see the flash of the torpedo exploding first, then the shockwave that would slightly rock your boat then the sound. and yes, I've read u-boat commanders and american sub commanders describe it just this way...I cannot give you exact sources cause my books are packed up...now if it really matters if it happends this way in the game or not...big deal! it would be nice if you actually get to see a "flash" from the torpedo exploding at night...I don't think you did in sh2 or caod.....it would be nice because uboat commanders would see those flashes from many miles away and it would help them find the convoy....
also I would like it if you just hear the explosion, and NOT HAVE SOME STUPID SOUNDMAN SAYING "TARGET DESTROYED!" when you are under water and there is no way in the world the sound man could tell you if the target was destroyed or not!!!" I hated that about aod, sh1 AND sh2.
the other thing about hearing the torpedo sound late is that torpedos would sometimes detonate at the end of thier run..wether they hit anything or NOT. this is one reason why u-boats often claimed more kills than they actually made, because they would hear the torpedo go off and assume they sunk a ship, when really the torpedo just blew up some fishes...

EFileTahi
01-25-2005, 03:50 AM
Yeah, I have Operation Flashpoint with all its expansion packs and the sound delay works really great!

Does Half Life 2 have it too? Did not notice it...

Well, I hope SH3 will have this delay thing too, because here we are talking about really far away explosions, and will be extremely odd to see a torpedo explosion and hear the explosion sound at the same time at 1500 meters or more...

macker33
01-25-2005, 06:42 AM
Yep,sound travels five times faster and five times further under water,science fact.

I cant ever remember seeing a thread about the games sound except that there wont be EAX.
Has anybody heard the game?Will there be fully directional surround sound?

Messervy
01-25-2005, 07:49 AM
They said there will be surround sound but not EAX.

blue_76
01-25-2005, 07:57 AM
isn't eax specific to sound blaster cards? so surround sound without eax is better.. should support more cards..