PDA

View Full Version : Angle on bow?

ejot
03-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Im having trouble "guessing" the angle on bow, anyone got any tips?

alarmer
03-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Get close enought.

I havent found better method yet http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WFLZ
03-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Angle on Bow is the relative bearing from the target to yourself.

To guess it imagine yourself on the target, the bow of the target is 0 degrees (or 360 whichever you prefer) now where is you sub from that position, if your sub is at 2 o'clock your AoB is 60 degress (each number on the clock is 30 degrees). hope this helps.

ejot
03-18-2005, 12:19 PM
I the game had an ingame... umm, dont know what they're called in english, thingy-mo-bob-that-calculates angles it would just be as easy as figuring out the course of the target by marking two locations and then using the... thingy =) .. . havent found that yet, kind of odd if the game didnt have it.. the radius-tool would've been excellent if it showed angle

ejot
03-18-2005, 12:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JudoHedgehog:
Angle on Bow is the relative bearing from the target to yourself.

To guess it imagine yourself on the target, the bow of the target is 0 degrees (or 360 whichever you prefer) now where is you sub from that position, if your sub is at 2 o'clock your AoB is 60 degress (each number on the clock is 30 degrees). hope this helps. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have it figured out that much http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But its hard to see any difference between say 10-30 degrees

Frederf220
03-18-2005, 12:52 PM
On realistic map mode, the tools available aren't enough to mark1 mark 2, measure heading vs the compass rose. Since you'd need to make a mark at a known range and bering for mark1, then again for mark2. But you have to guess when drawing the vectors on the map since there's no angle tool. The easy map (which I haven't played) I think gives you their course.

Another method is to shadow the vessle for a while and match course. The way this is true is if you're going the same direction and speed as a target, it will appear as a constant bering!

Yet a third method is to position yourself at a known AOB, such as 90deg.

A fourth is to use the Recog Manual and look at the alternate pictures for the ship at 0, 45, 60 (I think those are them) angles to estimate his AOB.

A fifth method is to use the known length of the vessle and then measure its apperant length using the horizontal strichs on the scope. Then after that you do some trig to find out it's possible directions of the boat reletive to you (4 of them) so you then pic if it's going left away, left toward, right away, right toward.

For Example: BoatA is 100m according to the recog manual, but in the scope it appears 71m long. Now you know the AOB is 45, 135, 225, or 315. You need to know the range from the height measurement to calculate the apperant length.

ejot
03-18-2005, 01:06 PM
I liked the fifth method the most .... but me and maths have been separated for a while... could you give a little more detailed explanation? Didn't quite follow how you got the degree from the true and apparent length of the boat?

Frederf220
03-18-2005, 10:31 PM
I'm about to write exactly how I managed to compute AOB from apperant length in stricts. If I'm feeling real good I'll include diagrams.

Looks for the topic "AOB Calculated From Apperent Length" which I'm writing.