PDA

View Full Version : Audio question

ZG77_Nagual
11-19-2004, 12:37 PM
I have an abit aa8 with 'high definition 7.1 audio' Anything to gain by dropping in an audigy?

LuckyBoy1
11-19-2004, 01:33 PM
Woop! Re-read the question... yes, get an Audigy 1 or 2 card.

steve_v
11-19-2004, 02:04 PM
From what I can see at the Abit site, your onboard has no APU. Agree with Lucky, except feel the Audigy 1 is no longer viable. Its a great card, but for only a few dollars more, you can have so much more.

What you'll gain with an Audigy 2, in FB/AEP/PF, is all sound extensions enabled with no negative impact on gameplay. Well worth the investment.

LuckyBoy1
11-19-2004, 02:20 PM
I have an ABIT IC7-MAX3 mommaboard. The onboard sound is ok... and it sucks some CPU cycles... then I purchased an Audigy 2 ZS to replace my Santa Claus sound card. When I first installed it, I was happy about the frames per second gain, but the sound seemed no better than my Santa Claus card in the game. Then I finally remembered to go into the sound tab in IL-2 setup and I chose Soundblaster. The improvement in sound was so stunning that I cut short a conversation and gameplay with my squad mates so I could hook up my Marshal amps to the audigy card. My neighbors are now sure that a real war is going on in my house each and every time I crank up the game.

Oleg finally spelled it out in the release of Pacific Fighters that the game is designed specifically for the Audigy cards. The sound quality has gone from Oleg & His Bucket 'O Bolts Band to truly stunning sound quality with the Audigy card. I really don't think I'm overstating it by saying it is a completely new and improved game experience with an audigy card. I purchased the Audigy card to squeeze a couple more frames per second, especially at the bottom end where it really counts and it did that. However, the sound quality is so good, that the increased frames per second turned out to be just a bonus in my opinion!

Now, here's the deal. Audigy licenses production of their design to about a zillion different manufacturers with all the different drivers and whatnot that come with it. Some say this makes no-nevermind. Some say it is important. All I know is I want to be able to safely shut my brain off after I make the purchase. That's why I bought mine from www.magnum-pc.com (http://www.magnum-pc.com) They test all there stuff in the game and does it make a difference? Who knows! and for the couple of bucks difference, I was able to rest assured that I got the right card.

Now, when you get the card, install only the drivers. Then run Ad-Aware & Spybot in safe mode to clean out all the spyware creative gives you. Defrag and enjoy a totally new game!

ZG77_Nagual
11-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the input. I still have the audigy 1 I had in my Ic7 Max (which got dropped in the parking log...der) (Fabulous board - had a 2.6c in it running very happily at 3.4 with two gig of matched dual channel pc4200 and a 9800pro oc'd. - I have a replacement coming and a 9800xt to put in it - it'll be interesting to A/B it with this rig)

I'll plunk it in this one. I wanted to go pciexpress and this is a very nice board - esp with the $50 rebate I got on it. I have a gf6600gt which is working quite well and was the only pcx card I could find that seemed good - but now I see SLI on the horizon..could be interesting.

Anyway - thanks for clearing that up gents! And much thanks for your recommendation luckyboy - CC cleaner rocks - I use it at work thanks to your recommendation. It has sorted out some very persistant annoyances.