PDA

View Full Version : small caliber weapon effects on water

Choctaw111
11-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Why is it that when small caliber bullets hit the water (.303, 30cal, ShKAS) the water spikes dissapear right away. They do not "fall" back in to the water like all of the larger caliber guns when their bullets or cannon rounds hit. I had noticed this many months ago after I installed a patch. When the sim was new this did not happen. You could fire small caliber guns into the water and the water spikes would behave nomally. What happened? Was this done on purpose or did no one notice or did not bother to post it? Every time I would by a new combat flight sim I would always fire the guns into the dirt or water to see how much attention to detail the programmers put into the sim so this is something that I noticed right away. I have always enjoyed shooting a plane down over the water and seeing the water splash up with some of the bullets that would miss and watching the plane going down in flames. I hope that this can be fixed.

Choctaw111
11-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Why is it that when small caliber bullets hit the water (.303, 30cal, ShKAS) the water spikes dissapear right away. They do not "fall" back in to the water like all of the larger caliber guns when their bullets or cannon rounds hit. I had noticed this many months ago after I installed a patch. When the sim was new this did not happen. You could fire small caliber guns into the water and the water spikes would behave nomally. What happened? Was this done on purpose or did no one notice or did not bother to post it? Every time I would by a new combat flight sim I would always fire the guns into the dirt or water to see how much attention to detail the programmers put into the sim so this is something that I noticed right away. I have always enjoyed shooting a plane down over the water and seeing the water splash up with some of the bullets that would miss and watching the plane going down in flames. I hope that this can be fixed.

LeOs.K-Ande
11-06-2004, 05:35 AM
Dunno about bullets hitting water but few days ago I shot enemy plane over water and it exploded. I ketp flying over the same area and happend to look down and WOW. The fragments of the exploded plane splashed into the water.( I dont mean one big splash but lot of small splashes) I have never seen this before ( atleast dont remember seeing it). Is this a new feature or have I just been blind.

VW-IceFire
11-06-2004, 06:53 AM
You've just been blind...I noticed that nifty effect in the IL-2 demo. I think the effect is perhaps enhanced because the water plumes are bigger these days than before.

I suspect that .303's and other small rifle shots that hit the water are having a shortened animation for performance purposes. They fire so much faster than other weapons so they create more splashes.

I think its a consideration and not a bug...and I'm glad they paid attention to performance on even these small things.

triggerhappyfin
11-10-2004, 01:33 AM
Yeah what ever...but the muzzleflashes are way undermodeled..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/Triggerhappyfin/441200421.jpg