PDA

View Full Version : Driver needs to be refreshed.

lb003g0676
08-30-2007, 06:17 PM
I hope they make some key chnages for next generation Driver.

Becuase it is ridiculed by GTA and rightfully should be with it's previous 2 console releases. The good old days when Driver and Driver 2 gameplay mechanics were acceptable (despite being unbelievable at the time, specifically Driver 2 for me). But the whole of the 2nd generation they kept it the same.

Mistake.

Driver needs to develop in a direction away from GTA. And Parallel lines was terrible and should be thrown away.

Next GTA can differ from GTA by keepign ti focused on driving and the high life, rather than gritty pedestrian crime life. This seems to be GTA's territory and wasn't ever really what driver was about anyway. To refresh Driver we need to remember abotu Tanners beginnings. He was a Race driver, and knows tons about cars. He's gone undercover with his partner Tobias Jones. HE is the streetwise one.

This needs to be made obvious.

I posted thison the Gamespot boards, sorry for it beign so long. I am so excited for the next driver I am actually doing concept art for it!

"I think as a posted somewhere else minutes ago, that Driver is always regarded a GTA clone ever since GTA became top down. Now to be honest with Driv3r, they took a lot of pages out of GTA's book. But GTAIIItook pages out of Driver 2's book. They are actually really different games, and neitehr invented the genre more than the other. Both followed the natural progression of nearor totallysandbox gameplay.

Now what I think, is for Driver to be regarded differently, Reflections need to go back to basics. Tanner has a story, he's not the new GTA character, he's not an old GTA character, he is ahistoric figure to Driver fans, and has a story behind him. This ofcourse assuming they are cleverenough to include tanner again. And bring MichaelMadsenback, and makeTanner look real, or atleast respectable.

Keeping in mind tanner never used to be a cop, and rather a race driver. It should be kept in mind that gunplay is a weak point. I think that the in-car gameplay should be the basis for the game. It also needs to include that lifestyle as a racedriver he would have dreamt of.

Gameplay generally: Needs to have great physics for cars and bikes, complete sandbox experience, so every city has missions and certain specific NPC's (that have routines, so they aren't static), sothat missionsare given out like quests on Morrowind or Oblivion. The cities of the game (oropen expansiveareas) are real still, but have inter-area travel.Plane tickets can be purchased and perhaps an ingame cutscene of your plane leaving and arriving would be nice. Progressive animation system, so that context sensitive animations can be used, in cars and on foot. And missions are more natural to a racing driver, so he can boast his skills. Basically all areas of the game need to take into account that driving a car is his strong point. Tobias Jones needs to be back, as his partner (for co-op gameplay) and his skills are with the gun. He can't drivewell though (this is facilitated by making cars less controllable for Jones and Gun with worse accuracy for Tanner. However as the game progresses, they have almost RPG like skill points (driving, shooting and agility skills)as well as an inventory to add for more gameplay options. Obviously the skills minimise the problems caused by each activity. Agility is a skill that will help either player with traversing, taking cover and everything, generally making the character more malleable (will cover agility in on-foot section)

Settings: Glamorous settings with very unique infrastructure, to boast car controlling abilities. Also areas with strong relations to cars, and high profile car manufacturers. The whole grittiness needs to be lost. That is GTA's domain (gang ridden dirty streets). Driver tried that in Driv3r, and got nowhere. So I am thinking places like Monaco for winding getaways and also remote areas, for clifftop views, and roads embedded in rocks maybe a remote part of Thailand orBolivia forthe Bolivian Road of Death. And for the the player, ofcourse a fewwarehouse garages to store and modify hundreds of cars on each level.

Vehicles: Everything needs to be available. Like usual, but make vast amounts of secret cars everywhere. And make each secret car have a quest associated with it, to be able to get it. Obviously you can steal them straight away, but police are far more strict with this, than usual. Although strictness of road etiquette is still the same. This time cars need all information you get, like in GT5, a speedometer, and gears. And always keeping in mind Tanner is a Race Driver, he can try to drive other vehicles like bikes and trucks, but he will never quite handle them like a car. Aviation can be included, but like the Dodo, in GTAIII, it should be near impossible to control for the player as Tanner doesn't fly helicopters. Perhaps the controls change every 15 seconds to make it nearimpossible. And ofcourse advanced shooting from car techniques, other than just drivebys. I am thinking being able to shoot out from back front and either side window whenJones is in the car, and easy ways for Jones and Tanner to get out and put their on foot animations to work, as explained next.

On-foot: Onfoot was abused in Driv3r and Driver 2. This time, for Tanner it's all about finding another car, to continue the quest. So things like hopping from car to car on the roofs(ala less exaggerated Pursuit Force), and using car doors among other thingsas cover and using car boots as inventory space and being able to fix cars engines (not the body work) to an extent, when they're damaged and exiting a car VERY quickly in a manner of ways. To be able to use and abuse cars in every single way. And for Jones, to be able toinclude skills for great gunplay and police officer training actions. Like hanging onto driving cars andeasily being able to stop cars with one bullet, agility coming into most of these things, as agility also means both characters can move very quickly, Jones moreso, as Tanner always has the advantage with driving.

I could literally go on for ages, and I'd love to work with Relfections, to differentiate their game from GTA, but they seem to want to keep it the clone that it is. Unless Ubisoft can convince them to go back to basis too. "

I mgith post soem of the art when i upload it.

lb003g0676
08-30-2007, 06:17 PM
I hope they make some key chnages for next generation Driver.

Becuase it is ridiculed by GTA and rightfully should be with it's previous 2 console releases. The good old days when Driver and Driver 2 gameplay mechanics were acceptable (despite being unbelievable at the time, specifically Driver 2 for me). But the whole of the 2nd generation they kept it the same.

Mistake.

Driver needs to develop in a direction away from GTA. And Parallel lines was terrible and should be thrown away.

Next GTA can differ from GTA by keepign ti focused on driving and the high life, rather than gritty pedestrian crime life. This seems to be GTA's territory and wasn't ever really what driver was about anyway. To refresh Driver we need to remember abotu Tanners beginnings. He was a Race driver, and knows tons about cars. He's gone undercover with his partner Tobias Jones. HE is the streetwise one.

This needs to be made obvious.

I posted thison the Gamespot boards, sorry for it beign so long. I am so excited for the next driver I am actually doing concept art for it!

"I think as a posted somewhere else minutes ago, that Driver is always regarded a GTA clone ever since GTA became top down. Now to be honest with Driv3r, they took a lot of pages out of GTA's book. But GTAIIItook pages out of Driver 2's book. They are actually really different games, and neitehr invented the genre more than the other. Both followed the natural progression of nearor totallysandbox gameplay.

Now what I think, is for Driver to be regarded differently, Reflections need to go back to basics. Tanner has a story, he's not the new GTA character, he's not an old GTA character, he is ahistoric figure to Driver fans, and has a story behind him. This ofcourse assuming they are cleverenough to include tanner again. And bring MichaelMadsenback, and makeTanner look real, or atleast respectable.

Keeping in mind tanner never used to be a cop, and rather a race driver. It should be kept in mind that gunplay is a weak point. I think that the in-car gameplay should be the basis for the game. It also needs to include that lifestyle as a racedriver he would have dreamt of.

Gameplay generally: Needs to have great physics for cars and bikes, complete sandbox experience, so every city has missions and certain specific NPC's (that have routines, so they aren't static), sothat missionsare given out like quests on Morrowind or Oblivion. The cities of the game (oropen expansiveareas) are real still, but have inter-area travel.Plane tickets can be purchased and perhaps an ingame cutscene of your plane leaving and arriving would be nice. Progressive animation system, so that context sensitive animations can be used, in cars and on foot. And missions are more natural to a racing driver, so he can boast his skills. Basically all areas of the game need to take into account that driving a car is his strong point. Tobias Jones needs to be back, as his partner (for co-op gameplay) and his skills are with the gun. He can't drivewell though (this is facilitated by making cars less controllable for Jones and Gun with worse accuracy for Tanner. However as the game progresses, they have almost RPG like skill points (driving, shooting and agility skills)as well as an inventory to add for more gameplay options. Obviously the skills minimise the problems caused by each activity. Agility is a skill that will help either player with traversing, taking cover and everything, generally making the character more malleable (will cover agility in on-foot section)

Settings: Glamorous settings with very unique infrastructure, to boast car controlling abilities. Also areas with strong relations to cars, and high profile car manufacturers. The whole grittiness needs to be lost. That is GTA's domain (gang ridden dirty streets). Driver tried that in Driv3r, and got nowhere. So I am thinking places like Monaco for winding getaways and also remote areas, for clifftop views, and roads embedded in rocks maybe a remote part of Thailand orBolivia forthe Bolivian Road of Death. And for the the player, ofcourse a fewwarehouse garages to store and modify hundreds of cars on each level.

Vehicles: Everything needs to be available. Like usual, but make vast amounts of secret cars everywhere. And make each secret car have a quest associated with it, to be able to get it. Obviously you can steal them straight away, but police are far more strict with this, than usual. Although strictness of road etiquette is still the same. This time cars need all information you get, like in GT5, a speedometer, and gears. And always keeping in mind Tanner is a Race Driver, he can try to drive other vehicles like bikes and trucks, but he will never quite handle them like a car. Aviation can be included, but like the Dodo, in GTAIII, it should be near impossible to control for the player as Tanner doesn't fly helicopters. Perhaps the controls change every 15 seconds to make it nearimpossible. And ofcourse advanced shooting from car techniques, other than just drivebys. I am thinking being able to shoot out from back front and either side window whenJones is in the car, and easy ways for Jones and Tanner to get out and put their on foot animations to work, as explained next.

On-foot: Onfoot was abused in Driv3r and Driver 2. This time, for Tanner it's all about finding another car, to continue the quest. So things like hopping from car to car on the roofs(ala less exaggerated Pursuit Force), and using car doors among other thingsas cover and using car boots as inventory space and being able to fix cars engines (not the body work) to an extent, when they're damaged and exiting a car VERY quickly in a manner of ways. To be able to use and abuse cars in every single way. And for Jones, to be able toinclude skills for great gunplay and police officer training actions. Like hanging onto driving cars andeasily being able to stop cars with one bullet, agility coming into most of these things, as agility also means both characters can move very quickly, Jones moreso, as Tanner always has the advantage with driving.

I could literally go on for ages, and I'd love to work with Relfections, to differentiate their game from GTA, but they seem to want to keep it the clone that it is. Unless Ubisoft can convince them to go back to basis too. "

I mgith post soem of the art when i upload it.

InsaneDriver06
09-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Driver back to its driving origins is a good idea, but I still want at least some kind of on foot action to improve the replay value a year after owning it.

I agree though, that Driver needs to focus 90% on the driving abilities and innovations, and 10% for the on foot exploration and abilities, so the strength as you say, will be in driving to accomplish the main parts of action rather than relying on on foot alone.

On foot, I'd like climbing, walk, run, duck, rest, leap, roof stunts, bike stunts, etc.

The main reason for on foot is to separate Driver from being an open map driving game without the option to stretch your legs, unlike Midnight Club LA and Burnout Paradise, and Test Drive Unlimited 1.