PDA

View Full Version : What are some cool tweaks for this sim?

SubSerpent
03-30-2005, 10:27 AM
So far I have only figured out how to increase my subs speed by editing the [ENGINE] upgrades boost parameters in the basic.cfg file and how to give my flak/deck guns as much ammo as I want. Does anyone know how to make the sub go fast underwater without the snorkel and running the 'edited' engines? I also confirmed that you can edit the crew fatigue levels and set bow/stern torpedo rooms to be considered as a crew quarters area. The only problem with that tweak is that your torpedomen will not ever be fatigued while reloading/maintaing torp room(s).

I noticed that you can tweak dates within that file also to allow yourself access to newer subs before they were actually in service and how to get all upgrades without the cost of renown. I think it is a bit unrealistic to have to use renown for upgrades because a doubt popularity had much to do with how the German U-boat commanders were give what. All subs and equipment was delegated down on a needed basis. I like the renown usage for getting new sailors though. I also think that you should be able to 'buy' qualifications for crew members with your renown as long as you have renown to spend instead of being only allowed to qualify one person per patrol. That seems just a bit too unrealistic.

So tweaking files may not be everyone cup of tea because they may feel like it is cheating but not in all cases. You can tweak things to be more realistic or even harder for yourself than to cheat and make it easier or unrealistic. So everyone should be able to benefit from this thread if they feel the game just needs to be polished just a tad bit more.

SubSerpent
03-30-2005, 10:27 AM
So far I have only figured out how to increase my subs speed by editing the [ENGINE] upgrades boost parameters in the basic.cfg file and how to give my flak/deck guns as much ammo as I want. Does anyone know how to make the sub go fast underwater without the snorkel and running the 'edited' engines? I also confirmed that you can edit the crew fatigue levels and set bow/stern torpedo rooms to be considered as a crew quarters area. The only problem with that tweak is that your torpedomen will not ever be fatigued while reloading/maintaing torp room(s).

I noticed that you can tweak dates within that file also to allow yourself access to newer subs before they were actually in service and how to get all upgrades without the cost of renown. I think it is a bit unrealistic to have to use renown for upgrades because a doubt popularity had much to do with how the German U-boat commanders were give what. All subs and equipment was delegated down on a needed basis. I like the renown usage for getting new sailors though. I also think that you should be able to 'buy' qualifications for crew members with your renown as long as you have renown to spend instead of being only allowed to qualify one person per patrol. That seems just a bit too unrealistic.

So tweaking files may not be everyone cup of tea because they may feel like it is cheating but not in all cases. You can tweak things to be more realistic or even harder for yourself than to cheat and make it easier or unrealistic. So everyone should be able to benefit from this thread if they feel the game just needs to be polished just a tad bit more.