PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Berlin...

Antonios
07-30-2005, 06:57 AM
Hello people,

I will be visiting Berlin from 24 to 28th of August thanks to a good friend of mine and would love to hear your suggestions on visiting places ranging from museums (especially aviation ones ;-) ) to bars and restaurants...

Thank u in advance!

Antonios
07-30-2005, 06:57 AM
Hello people,

I will be visiting Berlin from 24 to 28th of August thanks to a good friend of mine and would love to hear your suggestions on visiting places ranging from museums (especially aviation ones ;-) ) to bars and restaurants...

Thank u in advance!

OldMan____
07-30-2005, 07:06 AM
All candy shops you can find. The best jam donut in the world can be found in Berlin. In fact they call it Berliner.

I miss it so much...

Antonios
07-30-2005, 07:16 AM
willdo, thanks!

anyone else?

Bremspropeller
07-30-2005, 07:42 AM
The "Luftwaffenmuseum" at Gatow (just outside of the city) might be interesting for you.

@ OldMan:

The only place wehre it isn't called "Berliner" is actually in Berlin...you'd rather buy a "Pfannekuchen" there (same thing).

LeadSpitter_
07-30-2005, 08:22 AM
bring your own food.

OldMan____
07-30-2005, 09:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bremspropeller:
The "Luftwaffenmuseum" at Gatow (just outside of the city) might be interesting for you.

@ OldMan:

The only place wehre it isn't called "Berliner" is actually in Berlin...you'd rather buy a "Pfannekuchen" there (same thing). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange. But thinking well, when I visited Berlin I bought some just by pointing at them. But when I lived in Erlangen I always used the word Berliner.

Bremspropeller
07-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Yeah, it's called "Berliner" anywhere in Germany except in Berlin http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

PraetorHonoris
07-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Deutsches Technikmuseum (German museum of technics) - actually I like it better than the Luftwaffenmuseum. They recently redesigned the aviation part and it is now very good.

Kapitulationsmuseum Karlshorst (Museum of the Wehrmacht's surrender) - the location where Keitel signed the surrender and a little museum. I don't like it much, because it was a communist designed museum and you can still feel that.

Gedenkst├┬Ątte Deutscher Widerstand (memorial of German resistance) - Stauffenberg Str.13-14. Not much to see there, but it is the old Oberkommando des Heeres and it is for free.

Denkmal f├╝r die ermordeten Juden Europas (Holocaust memorial) - a very controversial memorial. You will realise why as soom as you see it.

If you are intrested in the ancient time, Berlin has a lot, especially the Museumsinsel, where several museums are located.

Concerning bars, well the most famous place might be Hackischer Markt, but I don't like it at all. I prefer the Simon-Dach-Street, where a lot of bars are (ok, some of them are - let's say, not that good).

JtD
07-30-2005, 03:20 PM
For some culture visit Potsdam, just outside of Berlin. City of the Potsdam conference, where Churchill, Roosevelt & Stalin met after the war to decide how to divide Europe. Also the town of the Prussian kings, loads of palaces & gardens to visit. If you want to buy a Berliner there, you still have to call it Pfannkuchen.
Entrance fee in Gatow is free btw, but it's not the most interesting museum, because the don't have many WW2 aircraft. I still managed to spent an entire day looking at the various samples, most of the post WW2. You can get really close to the aircraft.

Luftwaffe_109
07-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Hi Antonios,

If you happen to be in Friedrichshain or Humbolthain check out the partially demolished Flak Towers.

Even if mostly gone they should be quite a sight.

Antonios
08-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Thank u all for your kind replies!
Feel free to post more suggestions!

csThor
08-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Gatow might be a bit hard to get to and most of the really interesting WW2 stuff is still not finished (Dora 9 etc).

The Technikmuseum on the other hand looked quite fine when I was there a few weeks ago.

Bars ... there is one I really like, but it's a bit hard to get to. "Tommy's Fliegerkneipe" in Lichtenrade (southern part of Berlin) is a real pilot's bar with a lot of memorablia (MiG-29 machine cannon, models, a MiG-23 vertical stabilizer, models, Pour le Merite, paintings etc). On August 25 should be a regular's table for pilots, but I'm not sure if there will be many folks there (still kinda "summer break").

tsisqua
08-02-2005, 06:06 AM
Have fun, Mate.

Sigh!

It's been a very long time, and I would love to return to see the city now, after unification. I served ther from 79-81 in the US Army.

The people were the best I have met anywhere. The food was the best I have eaten anywhere, and the city was just full of exciting things to do.

Have fun for me, too!
Tsisqua