PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to map trim to rotaries

AirBear
11-28-2004, 02:37 PM
I've got an X45 setup and I'm not using the rotaries for anything. Is it possible to map the rotaries to control the trim?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

chris455
11-28-2004, 02:42 PM
In the main menu screen, go to controls. Scroll all the way down; you'll see elevator and aileron trim, highlight your choice, then move the corresponding rotary on your stick. Bob's your uncle.

Bearcat99
11-28-2004, 03:50 PM
Yes. I have elevator trim to the thumb rotary and aileron trim to the index rotry. Flaps and prop pitch can be assigned to rotaries as well. Hit the Stermovik Essentials link in my sig and go to Adlabs' X45 profiles. Make sure you have the Saitek profiling software installed.

Doctor_Feelgood
11-28-2004, 04:01 PM
and according to tully, have your settings for that axis at 100 across the board. when i had my x45 it caused the trim to come on more quickly (like it should). seems most of us were setting it w/the same sorts of profile that we'd set an axis (0 10 20 30 etc). it should be (0 100 100 100 etc).

AirBear
11-28-2004, 05:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chris455:
In the main menu screen, go to controls. Scroll all the way down; you'll see elevator and aileron trim, highlight your choice, then move the corresponding rotary on your stick. Bob's your uncle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've tried that and it doesn't show any movement. It's like it's not seeing the control in-game

Athosd
11-28-2004, 05:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AirBear:
...I've tried that and it doesn't show any movement. It's like it's not seeing the control in-game <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which version of the Saitek software are you running? Is it on win98 or XP?

AirBear
11-28-2004, 06:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor_Feelgood:
and according to _tully_, have your settings for that axis at 100 across the board. when i had my x45 it caused the trim to come on more quickly (like it should). seems most of us were setting it w/the same sorts of profile that we'd set an axis (0 10 20 30 etc). it should be (0 100 100 100 etc). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you walk me through how to do this?

Fennec_P
11-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Does the particular plane have the trim control you are trying to use?

Some don't have aileron/rudder trim.

AirBear
11-28-2004, 10:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fennec_P:

Some don't have aileron/rudder trim. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just trying to get it mapped in the game default settings.

Blenvid
11-28-2004, 10:49 PM
Hey AirBear,

chris455's suggestion is the simpler way to go, and this does work. However, upon setting it up this way, you can't use those same rotary dials for anything else in the game. (using the pinkie switch or mode2 or mode3 switch settings.

I have found that the best way to go using the X-45 in XP with Saitek Profiler 3.2.0.11 is to set up BANDS for your rotary dials. In a nutshell, your telling the software that from a certain rotary range to another certain rotary range, do this.

For example, I have in Mode 1 a three part BAND on Rotary 1. Decrease Prop Pitch is set on Rotary 1, from 0-35%. A dead zone is REQUIRED for this type of function so I set up 35-65% as dead (meaning no key mapping). The 65-100% range is set for Increase Prop Pitch.

Now, I'm also allowed to use Rotary 1 for anything else in Mode2, Mode 3, etc.. (with chris455's suggestion, you cannot) I then setup for Rotary 1 in Mode2, a three part BAND with 0-35% Elevator Trim Positive, 35-65% dead zone, and 65-100% Elevator Trim Negative.

For more assistance with BANDS, take a look at the SST X-45 manual on the Saitek website found here, http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/down/manuals.htm In particular, check out the section of the manual titled Axis Programming (Rotaries, thumb wheels etc.), this will further explain BANDS.

In theory, you're allowed to split your rotary dials up into as many BANDS as you'd like. However, I'd recommend you keep it simple at first so that you don't overwhelm yourself.

Remember also to record all your commands as MACROS, not KEY PRESSES. The difference is that a KEY PRESS will only finish it's sequence of programmed key strokes only as long as you hold the button. So, for example, if you recorded a KEY PRESS and you let go of the button at .4s and the actual recorded KEY PRESS didn't occur until .6s, the KEY PRESS will not be sent. You would have to hold the button at least until .6s to make this KEY PRESS send a key stroke. With MACROS however, it doesn't matter how long you hold the button, all of the recorded key strokes will be sent. This is the way to go.

I hope this helps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Blenvid

Bearcat99
11-28-2004, 11:27 PM
Hmmmm Ill have to try that tomorrow. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif I never thought about doing that with the rotaries.

triggerhappyfin
11-29-2004, 06:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor_Feelgood:
and according to _tully_, have your settings for that axis at 100 across the board. when i had my x45 it caused the trim to come on more quickly (like it should). seems most of us were setting it w/the same sorts of profile that we'd set an axis (0 10 20 30 etc). it should be (0 100 100 100 etc). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee I have to look at this as I made a little box with three axis and my TM Elite pedals + four switsches connected to the puter via gameport. As a complement to my X-36 HOTAS.

I did´nt seem to get the aileron trim to work properly and thought it was like that...now I´ll change the settings to 100 all over the line on trim rotarys... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Bearcat99
11-29-2004, 06:10 AM
This also makes me wonder if it is possible to map FOV to a slider and if this is how the new TIR will work as far as looking in and out of the field of view.

Tully__
11-29-2004, 06:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AirBear:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fennec_P:

Some don't have aileron/rudder trim. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just trying to get it mapped in the game default settings. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AirBear, ignore the trim assignments in the primary flight control section at the top of the control assignments screen. Scroll all the way to the bottom to the section under the "HOTAS CONTROL" heading and assign them there.

For more information click on the "Joysticks & FB" link under my signature picture.

FI-finbar1
11-29-2004, 06:50 AM
RBJ where are you? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

AirBear
11-29-2004, 07:14 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully tonight I'll have time to try and program this!

AirBear
11-29-2004, 07:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Athosd:
...I've tried that and it doesn't show any movement. It's like it's not seeing the control in-game <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which version of the Saitek software are you running? Is it on win98 or XP? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The most recent drivers and programming software from Saitek.