PDA

View Full Version : Newbi questions

PapaG39
05-11-2005, 01:03 PM
I just got SH3 & went through the naval Academy with hopes of figuring out how this game works.
My first single mission was a complete miserable flop.

most torpedos miss the tail end of the ship by one ten thousands of an inch or just bounce off.

I have the total feeling of "I haven't a clue what I am doing here"... I have read numerous excellent tutorials, but I don't understand much of them because they seem to be more for a "manual operation" mode .

I don't understand what I am supose to do with the radio operator or how to put in prospective what he is telling me.

When I hear (which is constantly) a ping sound what am I supose to do?

I try to turn in such a-way so as to make that angle thing read "zero then I launch a torpedo, but it either misses (99% of the time) or just bounces off... I assume that if it says zero that I am pointed in the right direction..

I don't fire unless I am less then 1000 meters & try for 500 meters or less.

I do the "AUTO" computation thing because I doubt if I will ever understand the manual scenario. that seems totally beyond my underestanding at this time.....

when these forums are referring to tracking for several hours or like 3 days...are we talking actual/real world time here? I want a-game here not to relive the WWll in real time.

also, when the manual refers to a minimum of 28 days in port...are we talking actual time here?

How do u turn up the sound on the ingame voice where sosmeone is talking to you with a message. I see the default "Db" sound setting, but I need much more then that...is that where I am supose to adjust sound? It doesn't seem to do anything for me.

sorry for so many babbling along type questions, but this game is a bit different from a normal fast moving fun game.

alanschu
05-11-2005, 01:25 PM
most torpedos miss the tail end of the ship by one ten thousands of an inch or just bounce off.

If you hit F6, you'll get some torpedo info. The most important ones are deptha and speed, in the upper right hand part (speed has S, M, F) and the depth is a depth guage, up to 25 m or so. When you successfully ID a ship (if you're using auto aim this isn't too hard...does it for you) check out the information in the recognition manual. This manual is available from the UZO (hit 'U'), or either of the periscopes (hit 'O' for observation scope or 'F3' for attack scope). It's a little book on the left hand side of the screen. If you still can't find it, you can bring it up by hitting 'N.'

The most useful thing on the recognition manual is the "Draft" depth. This is how deep the boat is in the water, because this brings us to the 3rd important dial in the TDC (the F6 screen), Impact or Magnetic+Impact (the dial with an I or an M). Impact torpedoes are torpedos that explode, on impact http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. They generally need to hit at an angle close to 90 degrees otherwise they'll bounce off. Magnetic+Impact maintains the Impact functionality, but also allows for an explosion just under the ship. If you set your depth to about a metre below the draft and use magnetic torpedos, the magnetic detonator will actually cause the torpedo to explode without hitting the ship (as long as it's below). This type of shot is actually the most damaging type of shot for the most part, and can even kill battleships with a single shot if you're lucky.

However, Magnetic torpedos are a little less reliable, especially in heavy seas. They tend to go off prematurely. However, an advantage is that you don't really need to hit at 90 degrees...since it just has to go under the boat. A note of concern with impact torpedos as well...if a boat has a draft of say 6 m, and you set your depth to 5.5 m, it likely will not go off. This is because the bottom of boats tend to be rounded, so you won't really be hitting a flat surface anymore. To start, I recommend being conservative with your depth guage for impact torpedos, try setting them to around 3 m for cargo ships.

If you're just missing behind the ship, try hitting 'Q' before firing. This opens up the torpedo tube, allowing for a more immediate shot when you finally fire the torpedo.

When I hear (which is constantly) a ping sound what am I supose to do?

That means a Destroyer is looking for you. The faster it gets, the closer the destroyer is to you. The best thing to do is to dive deep. You can also use your observation periscope to look up....if you see a destroyer zooming above you dropping depth charges, go to Ahead Flank speed (hit '5') and then turn left (hit '[') or right (']') depending on the best way to go. The deeper you are, the better the chance of avoiding the depth charges.

Otherwise, I'd suggest enabling silent running (hit 'Z') and don't move faster than Ahead Slow (otherwise you are much louder). Keep in mind that you cannot do repairs or reload torpedos while in silent running. Use the Navigator to get a depth under keel. This tells you how deep the water is from your current position (so if you are 20 m deep, and the depth under keel is 40 m, you can probably go down safely to around 50-55 m, as 60 (20+40) is the sea floor.

when these forums are referring to tracking for several hours or like 3 days...are we talking actual/real world time here? I want a-game here not to relive the WWll in real time.

Sometimes it can take a while...but most of these times are in TC mode. I followed a convoy for 3 game days once, moving at around 64x time compression.

also, when the manual refers to a minimum of 28 days in port...are we talking actual time here?

Hehe, no..that's game time. If you dock on February 1, when you start your next patrol it'll be around February 28 is what that means.

Enjoy the game!

AStotzer
05-11-2005, 01:29 PM
Well, keep on reading whatever you can. You'll start figuring stuff out eventually. Don't do the Manual Targeting until you are comfortable playing the game in general.

The big picture is stealth. Be quite and unseen when near an enemy.

Subs have diesel and electric power. Diesel can be run on the surface, Electric is for when you are submerged. But they will only last for a few hours, so don't stay under too long and keep an eye on your battery charge. I think if you stop your engines your batteries will last longer (a guess), so if you are hiding from a destroyer for a long time that may be an option. Electric batteries can be recharged while on the surface running on Diesel too.

At night, run on Diesel on the Surface to keep your batteries charged. It's dark, so you won't be seen as easily. At day, run on the surface as long as you can. If a contact is spotted, dive and be quiet.

To fire your torpedos you need to be the closest to a 90 degrees on the side of your target as you can get. Your uboat should be pointing generaly towards your target. Look at the target in your periscope, and when you get that green triange you have a pretty good angle to shoot. Press the 'L' key to lock the periscope on that target. But you need to be within about 400-1200 (ballpark) meters of the target. When you are, you can fire a few torpedos.

It's best to be in front and to the side of your target's path. If you are behind them it's hard to catch up.

Remember, if you have your periscope up, it can be seen, so lower it after a shot.

Good Luck, and keep reading and asking more specific questions on exactly what you are having problems with. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

PapaG39
05-11-2005, 01:57 PM
alanschu & ASotzer...
thank you both for your very informative posts.
the "green triangle" thing helps a bunch..I knew that those colors had to mean something, but couldn't run across the answer in the manual...
I tried setting the debth in the naval academy, but perhaps that option isn't available in training.
also, I did notice that it seemed to take a long time for the torpedo to leave the tube...ha ha...like open the outer doors dummy... ..good tip..thanks!

Do you know how to up the voice sound level. I have fiddled with the sound settings from the default to -40 db to different positions of the dial, but it doesn't seem to make the voices any louder to me...

AStotzer
05-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by PapaG39:
alanschu & ASotzer...
thank you both for your very informative posts.
the "green triangle" thing helps a bunch..I knew that those colors had to mean something, but couldn't run across the answer in the manual... Yea, I had to read that in a thread. The manual is just to small to cover everything this sim can do.

I tried setting the debth in the naval academy, but perhaps that option isn't available in training. If you press the 'P' key you will go to periscope depth. That should work all the time. Also, setting the depth in the bottom right dial should work all the time. By default, the dial shows only 0-25 meters. But you can click the little green button below it, and it changes so you can set it to much deeper depths. The other dials beside it also have a little button that swaps modes.

also, I did notice that it seemed to take a long time for the torpedo to leave the tube...ha ha...like open the outer doors dummy... ..good tip..thanks! If you are running on Automatic Mode (in the Realism Settings) for fireing torpedos they should fire in about 3-4 seconds. You don't have to wait for the doors to open. This makes me think you are in Manual Mode.

The Realism Settings in this game 'get set' kind of strangly. I found this out just recently. If you are setting the Realism Settings for a mission and then play that mission, those settings are saved for any other mission you play. Even if you set the other mission to something else before(like a saved mission or campaign). For instance, if you set the Reasims Setting to 'Manual Targeting' in a Single Mission, or Campaign Mission; and then later play a different mission, it will still be in 'Manual Targeting' mode. You will need to change it back if you want to. In saved patrols in a campaign, you can only change the Realism Settings before you start a new patrol in port. You cannot change the from a saved patrol 'at sea'.

Do you know how to up the voice sound level. I have fiddled with the sound settings from the default to -40 db to different positions of the dial, but it doesn't seem to make the voices any louder to me... All I can say is remember to 'Apply Changes'.

Luv_Muffin
05-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the forums, and I this excellent sim.

You sound like I did in the academy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Once you finish it & start your campaign, you'll notice a lot of your torps missing or bouncing also. Do not get stressed, as long as you sink "something", you can go to port satisfied & start training your crew. A well trained crew really increases your miss/hit ratio in your favor. It doesn't take long to get your crew decent. At least for me it has, or else I am just learning more everytime I start a new patrol & visit these forums.

I use my weapons officer to target for me playing 60% or so realism, but I still open my tube doors before I fire. It appears to me that I fire without the delay. I still get those "squeakers", when the torp just scrapes the paint off the hull of the ship before sailing off on it's own voyage somewhere, but I'm getting close to a 30-40% hit ratio. I also tend to fire at destroyers, so I miss a lot! Ha ha.

Have fun with your new game! After you figure things out, you can browse through some of the mods people have made (subsim), if you want to personalize your game to suit your tastes.