PDA

View Full Version : Saitek X52 HOTAS

SHAKER214
01-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Well everyone, I'm fairly new here, and I haven't Flown PF online yet, but I feel that My review of the Saitek X52 may be helpful to those that might be considering it as a future purchase. Frankly, I'm Impressed!! Very user friendly with the Programming software. I don't have TrackIR yet, so I'm able to compensate for what I feel are shortcomings in the in game view controls with my joystick. I never have liked the"Incremental Views that you get with the simulation, and it is inconvenient to use the mouselook along with a standard joystick. The Saitek allows me to use mouselook(on the Throttle), as well as the POV hat. I set up my defaults to make my POV always snap back forward when released, so that way, If I'm looking around with mouselook, all I have to do is brush my thumb across tht POV hat and I snap back to forward view. I also set up the Mouse scroll on the throttle as a "zoom view" by mapping it to FOV zoom buttons, but is is silky smooth compared to the "incremental button pushes" This makes it easier to View Instruments as well as trying to ID distant targets(I don't use labels when I fly....And... I'm gettin'old so's I don't see as good as I used to LOL!!) The one thing I was not happy with, was the Famous "Dead zone" that I've seen on other posts here. I actually went to external view, and watched my Elevator just sit there through about 20 Degrees deflection of the stick!!! I went so far as to remove the bottom of the base to see if there was something wrong with my stick. Then I was looking around in my "input" properties in game, and played around with this.... I ended up with all sliders for pitch and roll at 100%, and Walaaa! Problem Fixed!!! it flies like a dream!.... I still need to set up my other modes (For Bombing etc..... but overall, I'm very happy with this stick. As for the rudder control.... I don't have pedals,and My previous stick was a MS Sidewinder Pro, so I'm used to the twist rudder, although the "Return Spring" is a little heavier on the Saitek unit than on the MS Sidewinder. Anyway.... That's my take for what it's worth Guys!I'll try and get my Teamspeak compatibility prob. fixed, and get Hyperlobby installed and I'll see you all at Angels 6!!!!
<S> SHAKER

SHAKER214
01-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Well everyone, I'm fairly new here, and I haven't Flown PF online yet, but I feel that My review of the Saitek X52 may be helpful to those that might be considering it as a future purchase. Frankly, I'm Impressed!! Very user friendly with the Programming software. I don't have TrackIR yet, so I'm able to compensate for what I feel are shortcomings in the in game view controls with my joystick. I never have liked the"Incremental Views that you get with the simulation, and it is inconvenient to use the mouselook along with a standard joystick. The Saitek allows me to use mouselook(on the Throttle), as well as the POV hat. I set up my defaults to make my POV always snap back forward when released, so that way, If I'm looking around with mouselook, all I have to do is brush my thumb across tht POV hat and I snap back to forward view. I also set up the Mouse scroll on the throttle as a "zoom view" by mapping it to FOV zoom buttons, but is is silky smooth compared to the "incremental button pushes" This makes it easier to View Instruments as well as trying to ID distant targets(I don't use labels when I fly....And... I'm gettin'old so's I don't see as good as I used to LOL!!) The one thing I was not happy with, was the Famous "Dead zone" that I've seen on other posts here. I actually went to external view, and watched my Elevator just sit there through about 20 Degrees deflection of the stick!!! I went so far as to remove the bottom of the base to see if there was something wrong with my stick. Then I was looking around in my "input" properties in game, and played around with this.... I ended up with all sliders for pitch and roll at 100%, and Walaaa! Problem Fixed!!! it flies like a dream!.... I still need to set up my other modes (For Bombing etc..... but overall, I'm very happy with this stick. As for the rudder control.... I don't have pedals,and My previous stick was a MS Sidewinder Pro, so I'm used to the twist rudder, although the "Return Spring" is a little heavier on the Saitek unit than on the MS Sidewinder. Anyway.... That's my take for what it's worth Guys!I'll try and get my Teamspeak compatibility prob. fixed, and get Hyperlobby installed and I'll see you all at Angels 6!!!!
&lt;S&gt; SHAKER

Infamous_Troll
01-08-2005, 02:38 PM
My saitek x52 ingame is reversing the rudder axis for some bizzare reason. Yours hasnt?

SHAKER214
01-08-2005, 03:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Infamous_Troll:
My saitek x52 ingame is reversing the rudder axis for some bizzare reason. Yours hasnt? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, Mine is working fine, but you might check out your Key assignments in your simulation... you might have a conflict going on there. I have removed all Joystick functions from my key assignments in the sim, and strictly rely on the Saitek Software to assign functions for keystrokes. You also need to make sure your HOTAS settings in the sim are configured right. One thing I ran into, was: the in game default HOTAS setting for throttle function was not set correctly for the Saitel Throttle... you need to make sure that it is assigned to the "Z" Axis for the throttle to work. As for the Rudder being reversed... I don't know, but I'm sure you'll find it's something simple, like a key conflict or something.
&lt;S&gt; SHAKER

marcocomparato
01-08-2005, 04:41 PM
I had that issue.

its one of two things:

either youve just mapped the throttle axis inverted (try pushing the opposite way to get a negative or positive result in the key-mapping)

or... a slight bug with IL2 the first time it gets switched from one stick to another: open up your CONF.INI file and browse the stick slider settings, you will most likely see that the slider (not in game, mind you, only in the ini file) is not actually ending with a 0 or 100. (all of those need to end with 100 and start with 0. NOTE these are not the sliders. theres a number before and after the sliders. ) you will most likely find a 50 or something at the end. its the problem.

Texas LongHorn
01-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Infamous Troll, I believe these are the correct settings for your stick. If they don't work the first time, simply reverse the action until they show up as such;
Power -Z Axis
Aileron X Axis
Elevator Y Axis
Rudder Z Axis Rotation
Hope this helps, all the best, LongHorn

Infamous_Troll
01-09-2005, 02:34 PM
I got it working last night. Thanks to all of you guys. The .INI was really screwed up for the rudder, were talking scrabled letters thrown in there for some reason. I punched in 1-100 for the lines and then re-mapped the axis and it finally worked. Talk about confusing though having to use the rudder in reverse.

JunkoIfurita
01-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Yah, about the dead zones.

With a little experimentation alongside my Top Gun Afterburner II, I got the **** thing sussed - the saitek doesn't have dead zones, it just has a completely flat response curve over the entire range of its axis (were I to graph it, you'd see a straight 45degree line). Most sticks use a logarithmic curve (meaning you get more response at the start, and a smoother, attenuated response over the extremes). Oleg's sim, being written for most joystics and not the X52, responds correctly to a logarithmic response curve - and so to the X52s flat response appears to have massive deadzones.

Its a design flaw in the stick - and it'd be a fatal one if it wasn't for the flexibility that the multiple band tweaking in the input settings offers.

Setting all the pith and roll settings to 100 would work, but I can't help but imagine that it makes the thing a little too **** tweaky. Use a logarithmic curve - in laymans terms, from left to right on the sliders starting at zero, increase the values on the sliders one by one, with greater increases between the leftmost sliders, and smaller increases as you get further to the right, with the last slider on 100.

I'm still tweaking at the moment - I'll post the setup I feel works best when I've found it.

Cheers,
Junko 'Kimura' Ifurita