PDA

View Full Version : historical question

jcurrens
05-09-2006, 05:51 PM
In an attempt to make SH3 even more realistic, I've planned the weekend to myself to hopefully, time permitting, to do a full patrol in without time simulation.

I was just wondering how long the U-Boat Captain was awake for and how much sleep he got, under normal circumstances of course. Also, Is there any websites regarding the role and description of the Kaptain's job onboard a U-Boat? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HeibgesU999
05-09-2006, 06:55 PM
I would suggest reading "Starship Troopers". It probably gives the clearest picture of what the "role" of a combat officer should be, as opposed to the duties of the non-coms, of any source out there. It tells you how you should "think" as an officer. And personal glory plays no part in it!

For S.O.P.'s I would get a copy of the Uboat Commanders handbook for $9 for Amazon. But buy it through the link at the SubSim Library so Uncle Neal gets a commish.

In regards to the sleep question, he got as much as possible. But it is doubtful he every got more than 4 to 6 hours in a row. During a convoy operation he might be up for 2 days.

But good leaders make themselves sleep.

The captain has to be around enough to let everyone know he is interested/concerned in everything that happens on boards his boat, but not be around so much that nothing gets done.

It must have been very lonely at sea for a uboat captain, even with the relaxed military discipline.

hueywolf123
05-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Ok, lie back on your couch, have the kids run up & down in front of you, all the lights on, the wife houseworking, the tv on.
Now sleep......................................
Anything yet? Feeling drowsy? In boats, the work continues around the clock, the only thing telling you it's dark up top is the lights being red.
All bunks are next to main passage ways, as are the heads.
I forgot to mention, the stink, you'd have to be pretty near exhausted to sleep well on a boat and I know through experience (relatives) that once at home you can't sleep because it's too quiet and too dark and you can't hear the engines or feel the vibrations

blastomatic1759
05-10-2006, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by hueywolf123:
Ok, lie back on your couch, have the kids run up & down in front of you, all the lights on, the wife houseworking, the tv on.
Now sleep......................................
Anything yet? Feeling drowsy? In boats, the work continues around the clock, the only thing telling you it's dark up top is the lights being red.
All bunks are next to main passage ways, as are the heads.
I forgot to mention, the stink, you'd have to be pretty near exhausted to sleep well on a boat and I know through experience (relatives) that once at home you can't sleep because it's too quiet and too dark and you can't hear the engines or feel the vibrations

thats actually true i sleep better at work (on the boat) than i do when im home. my ears ring for the first two days or so when i get home, from the silence. i cant imagine living on a Uboat though, thats alot of people in such a confined area. i would imagine a captain probably got around 4 hours of sleep a day , but thats a guess.

jcurrens
05-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Also, do u know of any maps online I could download similar to the ones the German Kaptains and Navigators used?

and...some ol' WW2 tunes to crank on the gramo... I see many links with like 100 mb of stuff but the installation and downloading it is a burden...can anyone post a link for me to download some tunes?