PDA

View Full Version : Radar in BOB

mgoyat
05-14-2006, 05:45 PM
I just read Oleg's interview on SimHQ. Apparently, BoB will model different radar types and their interaction with the planes. That's sweet. Wasn't much detail though. Does it mean we may in the future get (more or less) accurate airborne radars for night-fighters, or bombers (ground mapping for the Lancasters...) ? That would be great ! I'd definitely like to play Nachtjagd missions. Offline of course, they'd be poorly adapted to online play (too long).

slipBall
05-14-2006, 06:07 PM
This is just a guess, but I think radar info as to location of enemy aircraft will be transmitted over the radio using the tab key

Capt.LoneRanger
05-15-2006, 07:02 AM
When the Bf110 was introduced to IL2/FB, Oleg said, there is a good chance we'll see radio-navigation and airborne-radar for night-fighters in BoB. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

rushworth1
05-15-2006, 10:01 PM
I think if you read the history about the Battle of Britain radar was very rudimentary, it only showed estimated height, direction and numbers, this had inaccuracies of up to 50%. At best, historically a radar in game would provide a warning of raiders, thats about all. This is BOB, no lancasters, fancy radar etc, they still had carburetted engines, so get used to neg cut-outs. Only 9 spits had cannon, all other mg.

mothyp
05-16-2006, 11:47 AM
sorry to be anal but its called RDF, the phrase RADAR wasnt coined untill '43ish and by the Americans, and it may have been rudimentary but i think you will find it very effective in getting aircraft airbourne and in the correct area to intercept so the 50% thing is really immaterial as it served its purpose of early warning

ploughman
05-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Will the Observer Corps be modelled? Lots of guys with rudimentary but effective equipment reporting in on the progress of raids over land. I understand Mrs. Chiang Kai Shek devised a similar system over China.

VW-IceFire
05-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Yep, I hope the observer/radar aspect is going to be a bigger part of this game. Usually RAF fighter squadrons had a decent idea of where the main bomber stream was and how high they were. The big revolution in air defense during BoB was the fact that RAF squadrons were not mounting standing patrols but specific and directed intercepts of enemy bomber formations. I would hope that this is a huge part of the single player and perhaps a small part of the multiplayer. Some of the best full difficult servers would definately benefit from having a few extra tools at our disposal so that we can call for a specific vector to home, so that we can get an update indicating a large number of aircraft are headed in a specific direction at a specific height and so forth.

WWII pilots had a few extra tools we don't and it'd make those full real servers all the more interesting as well as the single player experience become very immersive.

LEXX_Luthor
05-16-2006, 08:12 PM
IceFire::
Usually RAF fighter squadrons had a decent idea of where the main bomber stream was and how high they were.
This applies far beyond "radar," and I think (maybe) that Oleg (maybe) said BoB And Beyond may feature ground observers.

A good Air War Simulator of the Pacific would model Aussum Aussie coast watchers that tracked Japanese planes with binoculars and radioed their activity so Ussian planes could gain altitude long before the strike showed up.

AVG Flying Tigers used billions of Chinese ground observers armed with telephone lines to report Japanese strike formations, allowing the slow climbing P-40s to get to high altitude long before the strikes showed up. They were not the first however, as the Soviet volunteers in China used the same Chinese ground observer system later used by the AVG.

Its kinda neat when you think about it -- Flying Tigers had no radar, and look what they did. Fascinating.