PDA

View Full Version : IS Tracker IR2 any good?

FE_pilot
05-12-2007, 03:25 PM
I have a chance to get a Tracker IR2 as a trade for one of my games.

I want to know if its any good, from some of the reviews i have read, most have a problem with centering.

also whats the degree of freedom for a Tracker IR 2?

Sun_Ra
05-12-2007, 03:53 PM
I've had Track ir2 for years, work just fine. I'm waiting on getting the lastest model some time in the future, but for now no complaints. No centering problems that an occasional keystrock can't fix, usually after coming back with a fresh beer or smoke break.

SithSpeeder
05-12-2007, 04:11 PM
TrackIR 2 has been good to me.

If I were you, I'd trade it for a game that you wouldn't miss much. It adds a lot to the immersion, especially if you like full cockpit (but I use it for open cockpit as well).

I made an extra large "dot" by buying reflector tape and putting it over a small foam ball. This was attached to a short dowel which was then attached to my headset. This improved the overall trackability of the device.

A good profile helps, one that moves most intuitively to you (otherwise, you can get motion sick for the first few times playing).

Lastly, I mapped the primary hat switch forward position to be my "re-center TrackIR" toggle. So it's no problem keeping it centered.

YMMV.

* _54th_Speeder *

Sun_Ra
05-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Sith, I made a similar reflective dot but I attacked it to an old pair of safety glasses via an upwardly curving 7 inch twig from my laurel tree. Puts the ball in nice location and yes a nice movement profile really help. Get the i2r if the price is right.

VMF-214_HaVoK
05-12-2007, 10:08 PM
I have only owned my TIR 4, but I have read where others who have owned both say there is a dramatic improvement. Now this does not mean TIR2 is not good and will not provide enjoyment for you. And I guess if you dont know what your missing it doesnt matter really.

Bearcat99
05-12-2007, 10:26 PM
TIR2 is good. The main reason I upgraded was that I wanted something with 6DoF since I am considering getting FSX... and I wanted to be ready for KoTS & BoB anyway... but 2 is great for this sim.

DooDaH2007
05-13-2007, 08:40 AM
I only own a trackir4, and people say that it is significantly better then 2...

But it is worth noting that trackir in general would not have become popular if the 1 and 2 model wern't at least a great addition to flying...

FE_pilot
05-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Does anyone know the degree of movement that a Tracker IR 2 has?

BigC208
05-13-2007, 09:05 AM
I switched from 2 to 4 about 3 months ago when I got BOB WOV. It's a lot lesss jittery with ambient light in the backgound. If you are in a room without background light the 2 always worked perfect for me in il2. I let a friend use the 2 for a while so he could see if he wanted to buy it. He thought it sucked! Could not get used to it. When he playes online he goes to the rooms with outside view on so he says he rather uses the padlock. I still have the 2. If anyone's interested, first $50 get's it.

DooDaH2007
05-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by FE_pilot:

he TrackIR2 has a 30 degree field of view and anything being tracked must stay in that field of view.

and it's two degrees of freedom (look left/right up/down)

TC_Stele
05-13-2007, 10:26 AM
I still have my TrackIR 2. It's doing the job of helping me shoot down folks online, and I'm not complaining. I will upgrade when I get the chance, though.

NP_Vincent
05-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by FE_pilot:

2 DOF support.