PDA

View Full Version : Bare essentials for online flying

XyZspineZyX
06-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Ok

I have began the online experience, now this is what I currently use to fly with.

Basic non twist joystick
Keyboard for rudder, coms ect
Mouse for looking around.

I am going to buy a comlink set up so I can teamspeak, do I need to get a sound card? How much more effective is it flying with a twist joystick as opposed to with out?

Dont discuss rudder pedals, not an option
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Capt.LoneRanger
06-05-2006, 09:49 AM
A rudder is not needed, but recommended. When I started playing online I had 2 Joysticks plugged in: One for flying, with multiple programmable buttons (A CH Fighterstick) and the second, a very simple 2axis 2 button stick. I fixed it on the table and used the vertical axis for throttle, the other for rudder. As odd as it may sound, but this rudder was the most precise I ever had.

A headset is definitely recommended, but you usually don't have to buy an extra soundcard to use it. If you play with sound, you allready have plugs for headset and micro somewhere - that is perfectly enough for a starter.

Teamspeak is the most common tool for communications, but be sure to download Teamspeak-Overlay (TSO) from here: http://www.teamspeakoverlay.com/

Set up is easy, you just have to enter the nickname you use in Teamspeak. The tool will then automatically check what channel you're in and will display the speakers into the game. Very helpfull and recommended for starters and pros. (You can also display time, FPS, etc) - works with most games, btw.

If you stick with it and find it worth investing some money, I recommend a programmable Stick + Throttle, maybe some rudder-solution (X45 and X54 have rudder-levers).

For complete immersion I recommend TrackIR - it senses your head movements and moves the view in the game accordingly (what you do with your mouse now)

LEBillfish
06-05-2006, 11:16 AM
As to the issue of a rudder I "strongly" disagree, especially since the 4.00 patch. A keyboard rudder simply does not have the controllability one needs....In kind I "personally" though never having owned one have no idea how someone could fly with a rocker as on an X45.

I myself use a "twisty stick" as for me it is now simply second nature, and due to the position I fly in pedals are out (essentially I'm using what is an ergonomic chair of sorts, I kneel on two shin rests, roughly a 4" wide removable seat/bench between my thighs that keeps me from sliding down, my abdomen and torso on a 10" wide piece at roughly 45 degrees up terminating to a point between my breasts.).......However, pedals if able no doubt would be the best bet.

Seriously, try flying with your keyboard.....Well it's almost impossible (as I used to do it) and that's the effect you get with a keyboard rudder...........A rudder makes a huge difference in flying, I personally find it more used (in less dramatic inputs) then any other control surface....The others just seem so as they make more dramatic changes.

tigertalon
06-05-2006, 11:23 AM
I personally woud not even install a flight sim without rudder.

JtD
06-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Three axis imho is a must. I used to play with 2 axis for a long time, and the 3rd made a big difference.

But of course you can play like you do now, there is nothing wrong with that. But I wouldn't expect a lot of precise shooting.

BSS_Goat
06-05-2006, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LEBillfish:

I'm using what is an ergonomic chair of sorts, I kneel on two shin rests, roughly a 4" wide removable seat/bench between my thighs that keeps me from sliding down, my abdomen and torso on a 10" wide piece at roughly 45 degrees up terminating to a point between my breasts[QUOTE]

This?

http://site.healthyandactive.com/promotions/product_media/love-swing-images.jpg

SeaFireLIV
06-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
Teamspeak is the most common tool for communications, but be sure to download Teamspeak-Overlay (TSO) from here: http://www.teamspeakoverlay.com/

Didn`t know about this. Thanks. Nifty.

As far as rudders are concerned, I don`t know. But if this is the case then that makes it tough for new users who don`t want to go as far as a rudder. I know that when I started, the thought of having a rudder would have put me off straight away.... Let`s hope new users can start for a while without the rudder.

Also, getting used to the rudder at start can be a pain in the butt.

foxyboy1964
06-05-2006, 11:47 AM
I have a twist stick on my X-52 and I cannot get into it at all. I have no intention of spending 100+ on rudder pedals so I plan to buy a cheap joystick and make a pedal device to fit on it. I strongly recommend getting a shot of a twist stick before you set your heart on one. In fact, I have the twist function locked so at the moment I effectively dont have a rudder.

Lucius_Esox
06-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Flying without an effective rudder in this sim would be very hard to do.

It's interesting I hear lots of people saying that twist sticks are cr*p....... It's just NOT true.

It's what ever you get used to of course but I have a set of CH pedals and use the twist on my X52 in preference,,,!

I honestly think a usable rudder is a must though.

Capt.LoneRanger
06-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Rudder is like TrackIR - it gives you an extra edge and once you tried, there's no way back.

I personally flew without rudder until just a month ago, or so. It's nice, yes, it sometimes gives you an advantage, but neccessary?

Jumoschwanz
06-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Hello dasriech,

One of the nice things about this sim is that you can fly at the very top level in it with hardly any fancy equipment at all.

The only equipment I have used since this sim came out in late 2001 for 99.99% of my flying is one Microsoft Precision 2 stick.

Yes it is a stick with a twisting handle for the rudder. While you obviously know you do not need a "twisty stick" for rudder control to fly this sim, if you have ambitions to be even average in a combat situation I am sure you will need one.
Before this sim came out and I was flying the Microsoft combat flight sims online, I had a stick like you have for a while and I could never quite fly well enough with it to do well in online combat.
A nice gentleman went one on one with me a number of times in Hellcat fighters in CFS2 one night, and after kicking my a$$ several times we talked about it, and when he found out I was flying with no rudder, he quickly pointed it out as the reason I could not stay with him in manuevers or shoot as well as he.
Once I got the Microsoft stick with the twist handle, there was no looking back, everything fell into place and once learning the ropes of flying this sim I have not had a problem holding my own with anyone, on any server.
You will find you instinctively use it for aiming your guns, and you will be at least 100% more effective at hitting your foe this way. And of course the edge in manueverability is indispensable.

The Microsoft precision 2 can be found on online auctions such as ebay in excellent condition and very cheaply. This stick has the added bonus of a very reliable and convenient hat-switch, which when set-up correctly in combination with one base-button, can pan your views around so well that it eliminates the need for any Track IR. I have bought and tried track IR and I sold it for ten bucks, and I use only the hat switch to fly toe-to-toe with anyone who has a track IR setup very easily. So there is another piece of overated krap you do not have to buy!

I also have a nice set of CH rudder pedals, which I have used, but they offer absolutely no advantage in combat at all, they merely add some realism if you are in to that sort of thing.

For sound, most motherboards have plugs on the back for speakers and microphones as part of the integrated sound the mother board has.

This is what I use. I use the Teamspeak program, plug a mike into the motherboard and I am done. The motherboard usually has a little picture of a microphone next to this plug, usually located in close proximity to where you already have your speakers plugged in.

That said, coms are great if you are flying in a squad or a wingman for sure. When you are flying alone though, which I like to do, I usually do not use it, or even any sound, as it is just a distraction that takes your mind away from visually checking and panning the skies for threats as often as you should.

Anything else you need good advice on let me know.....

Jumoschwanz

MrMojok
06-05-2006, 12:14 PM
I kneel on two shin rests, roughly a 4" wide removable seat/bench between my thighs that keeps me from sliding down, my abdomen and torso on a 10" wide piece at roughly 45 degrees up terminating to a point between my breasts.)

This may be the single most erotic post ever on these boards.

LEBillfish
06-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by BSS_Goat:
This?

http://site.healthyandactive.com/promotions/product_med...ove-swing-images.jpg (http://site.healthyandactive.com/promotions/product_media/love-swing-images.jpg)

Uh yea, that could be it EXCEPT that is a swing, not a chair, you lean back instead of forward, it sits on the floor instead of hanging from a ceiling, and just about every other aspect of it is different.....

So yes, just like that in NO way shape or form.

BSS_Goat
06-05-2006, 01:33 PM
D@mn I love a good sport... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif