PDA

View Full Version : My first Movie making tut

Genuine_Ace
05-17-2006, 04:16 AM
:: How to Film the game without having loads of raw :: data from heaps of Fraps shots

Welcome to my tutorial on filming Pacific Fighters and IL-2 / IL-2 Forgotten Battles without having endless Fraps takes that confuse you and take up loads of space on you computer!

Ok to start off then, I am not a very good video maker but I have worked out an easy but VERY effective way of filming without all those Fraps takes as mentioned above.

- First, run the game

- Second, go to the FMB (Full Mission Builder) and create the map you want. Note: be sure to place static cameras where you want so you can get the best results when it comes time to start filming; PLUS as well as all those decretive objects.

- Third, load you map via creating a multiplayer game from the main menu and load your map in there. (Still works If you don€t have an internet connection or is broken) You can load it as a single mission if you prefer.

- Forth, once loaded, press escape -> Controls -> scroll down until you find the track recording feature and assign a control to it (mine is Ctrl+R).

- Fifth, start recording via you assigned key or via Escape -> Start Recording. Now that you are recording, fly as you wish, shoot down the planes, bomb those targets etc using any view you want. DO NOT THINK THAT THE VIEW YOU ASSIGN WILL BE YOUR END RESULT! Just fly in the cockpit view as you usually do in any mode you prefer so you don€t look like an idiot trying to shoot down planes in F2 view or F8 view.

- Sixth, once you€re finished recording i.e. you have completed the mission etc, stop recording and take a break to get some fresh air and watch some TV lol. Once back, open the view track menu and select your track you just made. If you used your assigned key for the quick start recording, if should be €˜quick 0000€ or something like that. NOTE: If it is €˜quick 0001€ or €˜quick 0002€, it means you have previous recordings. Open you latest one which should be the one you just made.

- Seventh, press pause once your recording opens and then hit escape. Make sure you have manual view on and manual time compression on so you can view your recording from different angles. Ok well this is the part that you decide what angles you want from your static cameras and how you are going to film it. Once you have got a rough idea, press you assigned key to start a quick recording, Note that you cannot go escape and then select start recording. Once you have pressed the key, you are recording another take of your movie. Press €˜P€ to pause the game after each shot you take. The game will not record as you are paused! So this gives you the feature to select another view or static camera, get the camera lined up and prepare for you next shot.

- Eighth, once you€re finished the mission etc, you can hit your assigned key to stop the recording. Once you got the hang of it (may take some practise) you can try tweaking the static cameras to adjust hight and distance etc.

- Ninth, when you think you are done and ready to make your .AVI format, you can open fraps, and then have it so there is no overlay. I hate that lol! Open you recording (should be quick 0001 if the first one was quick 0000) make it so there is no manual control and no manual time compression so you don€t stuff it up lol. Also make it so there are no messages and other things that will stuff up your results (all done in the open track menu). As soon as your recording starts, press the filming key assigned for fraps to start recording and wait until your movie ends. Once it has finished, immediately stop fraps so your movie won€t stop and still have fraps recording the very first frame lol.

- Finally Tenth! Take your .AVI format to virtualdub and compress it so it isn€t so god damn big lol, and then you may want to take it to a program like Vegas 6 or Adobe After Effects to give the film and old style or to add sounds, music and shaky effects to give your new movie the EDGE!

Happy filming all! I hope this has rescued you from all those Fraps shots lol

Genuine Ace, OUT !!!
-------------------------------------------------
Need Feed back on this tut coz it is my very first tut I have ever publish or make to be honest lol.

Genuine_Ace
05-17-2006, 04:16 AM
:: How to Film the game without having loads of raw :: data from heaps of Fraps shots

Welcome to my tutorial on filming Pacific Fighters and IL-2 / IL-2 Forgotten Battles without having endless Fraps takes that confuse you and take up loads of space on you computer!

Ok to start off then, I am not a very good video maker but I have worked out an easy but VERY effective way of filming without all those Fraps takes as mentioned above.

- First, run the game

- Second, go to the FMB (Full Mission Builder) and create the map you want. Note: be sure to place static cameras where you want so you can get the best results when it comes time to start filming; PLUS as well as all those decretive objects.

- Third, load you map via creating a multiplayer game from the main menu and load your map in there. (Still works If you don€t have an internet connection or is broken) You can load it as a single mission if you prefer.

- Forth, once loaded, press escape -> Controls -> scroll down until you find the track recording feature and assign a control to it (mine is Ctrl+R).

- Fifth, start recording via you assigned key or via Escape -> Start Recording. Now that you are recording, fly as you wish, shoot down the planes, bomb those targets etc using any view you want. DO NOT THINK THAT THE VIEW YOU ASSIGN WILL BE YOUR END RESULT! Just fly in the cockpit view as you usually do in any mode you prefer so you don€t look like an idiot trying to shoot down planes in F2 view or F8 view.

- Sixth, once you€re finished recording i.e. you have completed the mission etc, stop recording and take a break to get some fresh air and watch some TV lol. Once back, open the view track menu and select your track you just made. If you used your assigned key for the quick start recording, if should be €˜quick 0000€ or something like that. NOTE: If it is €˜quick 0001€ or €˜quick 0002€, it means you have previous recordings. Open you latest one which should be the one you just made.

- Seventh, press pause once your recording opens and then hit escape. Make sure you have manual view on and manual time compression on so you can view your recording from different angles. Ok well this is the part that you decide what angles you want from your static cameras and how you are going to film it. Once you have got a rough idea, press you assigned key to start a quick recording, Note that you cannot go escape and then select start recording. Once you have pressed the key, you are recording another take of your movie. Press €˜P€ to pause the game after each shot you take. The game will not record as you are paused! So this gives you the feature to select another view or static camera, get the camera lined up and prepare for you next shot.

- Eighth, once you€re finished the mission etc, you can hit your assigned key to stop the recording. Once you got the hang of it (may take some practise) you can try tweaking the static cameras to adjust hight and distance etc.

- Ninth, when you think you are done and ready to make your .AVI format, you can open fraps, and then have it so there is no overlay. I hate that lol! Open you recording (should be quick 0001 if the first one was quick 0000) make it so there is no manual control and no manual time compression so you don€t stuff it up lol. Also make it so there are no messages and other things that will stuff up your results (all done in the open track menu). As soon as your recording starts, press the filming key assigned for fraps to start recording and wait until your movie ends. Once it has finished, immediately stop fraps so your movie won€t stop and still have fraps recording the very first frame lol.

- Finally Tenth! Take your .AVI format to virtualdub and compress it so it isn€t so god damn big lol, and then you may want to take it to a program like Vegas 6 or Adobe After Effects to give the film and old style or to add sounds, music and shaky effects to give your new movie the EDGE!

Happy filming all! I hope this has rescued you from all those Fraps shots lol

Genuine Ace, OUT !!!
-------------------------------------------------
Need Feed back on this tut coz it is my very first tut I have ever publish or make to be honest lol.

Genuine_Ace
05-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Any feedback? lol

Sorry about some typo's and some of it may confuse some people, but you have to honest, it is pretty hard to make it so the majority of people will understand without typing heaps of stuff.

If anyone doen't understand a part i wrote or is confused, just let me know ok? And i will try to make it more clear for you.

But yeah, any sort of feedback will do, coz this is my first tut and i want to know wheather i should pass it on to different website forums and that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

STENKA_69.GIAP
05-18-2006, 05:14 AM
Ok - reasonable structured start.

However I reccomend do not compress clips with a codec before editing. You will also compress with a codec at the end. Multiple compression degrades film quality. If your film editor does not have crop facility you have to crop in vdub before editing then save with no compression or lossless compression (huffyuff...).

Also record playing track at half speed with fraps set to 15 fps then double speed in vdub or editing.

Yes all this mleans lots of disk space - I had to get a 300 Mb drive just to do film work. The drive also needs to be set up with compression off so that it handles big files faster.

If you don't have the disk space you must build film piece by piece. Set fraps to record to a "cuttingroom" directory, think of the next three shots you want for the film go into FMB - Fly record etc. Then look at your cuttingroom select the 6 best takes - move them to the working directory - and delete all the rest.

Joe-90
05-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Ace, good to see tutorials getting put together. Sure, this is a good way to avoid lots of FRAPs avi's.

Personally, I prefer to have all the different camera views captured as separate avi clips and with a couple of seconds added start and finish of my anticipated cut. This gives more control when it comes to the final edit as sometimes you want to extend or clip for various reasons (e.g. matching to music, dialogue, etc)

MrVH
05-18-2006, 01:27 PM
"...I had to get a 300 Mb drive just to do film work"

300Mb ? That big eh? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MrVH

Genuine_Ace
05-18-2006, 11:21 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Thanks guys.

STENKA_69.GIAP
05-19-2006, 05:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrVH:

300Mb ? That big eh? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MrVH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks VH - yes that one replaced the 125K floppy disk drive on my Apple IIe, being generous I gave that one to my wife for her birthday last year and bought myself a new 300Gb drive....