PDA

View Full Version : Third Reich in color

Franzen
10-29-2004, 01:37 AM
Hi all,

Firstly, please don't turn this in to a flammer.

Secondly, I bought the dvd set "The Third Reich in Color". I must say I'm very happy with it. Some of the shots look like they were taken only 10 years ago. If anyone here has been thinking of getting it, go for it. It's worth it. As usual, the narration sucks but the footage is very nice.

BTW, I'm only promoting it cause it really is good. I have nothing to do with the vendors or producers. Bf109's in color, cool.

Fritz Franzen

Bearcat99
10-29-2004, 03:02 AM
It's history.... good heads up... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Franzen
10-29-2004, 03:10 AM
Have you seen it Bcat?

Fritz Franzen

dixiechick1964
10-29-2004, 05:08 AM
I was stationed in Nurnberg Germany in the mid 80's and became fasinated with the history of the city and WW2 itself. Soound like this video is a good idea for fans of WW2 and its planes.Thanks for the heads up.

JG52Uther
10-29-2004, 05:10 AM
seen it on Sky satellite channel.very interesting and it does give an insight into life in Germany during WW2.worth getting if you have not seen it.

Bearcat99
10-29-2004, 06:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Franzen:
Have you seen it Bcat?

Fritz Franzen <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Parts of it... it had a lot of footage by that female phog right? I cant remember her name though.

zjulik
10-29-2004, 08:22 AM
Leni Riefenstahl probably.

Daiichidoku
10-29-2004, 10:00 AM
There is a whole series of "In color" films...

British Empire in color, Rising Sun in color, etc

Seen them on History channel...

By and large the footage is pre-war civilian stuff....while still very interesting, kinda light on the color combat footage one would hope to see

What I hate is when I see the same ole B&W footage in historical programmes, and I know many of these were originally shot in color, because I have seen them that way...and NOT colorized, but original color

Quite a shame, Im sure there is plenty of archived film locked away in certain countries' librabies...that will never be seen, due to them being forgotten, or still classified

Bet the Japanese and the Germans, especially had miles of great footage that was destroyed near the end of the war

taisto_s
10-29-2004, 10:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zjulik:
Leni Riefenstahl probably. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:P yeah!!

Franzen
10-30-2004, 08:38 AM
Hmmm, Leni Riefenstahl, that's an interesting subject.

I also have a few of her films, including interviews with her a couple years before she passed away.
"Triumph of the Will" is a very controversial film, mostly because it was in German and I have still never seen it with English subtitles. This makes it an excellent propaganda piece. Also, take note that when pieces of footage are shown in documentaries they show things like Hitler giving a lively speech. Ever wondered what he was saying? The film is basically a message about peace and nation.
I felt sorry for Riefenstahl. Here was one of the world's most talented artists denied the freedom of persuing her work simply because she knew the wrong people. To date, I have seen nothing in her work that promotes the wrong done by the Nazi party. If anyone has something, please let me know since I always look for truth.
I also started, but haven't finished, watching "Olympia, fest der Volker"(Olympics, festival of people). There doesn't seem to be any bias at all. She shows Germans loosing and winning. It's seems to be just as the title suggests. To add, this was made in 1936. In the opening ceremony Hitler makes a short speak, nothing to do with politics or race.
Leni Riefenstahl has been accused of many things but there has never been any real proof against her. Had there been she would have been imprisoned like so many others after the war. I firmly believe in innocent until proven guilty.

As requested in my first post in this thread, please do not turn this into a flame. We're all old enough. If someone makes a spark, I ask the mods to close this thread right away.

Fritz Franzen