PDA

View Full Version : Ping

stevenwhiting
03-18-2005, 03:45 PM
When a ship is pinging you does that mean it knows where you are or is trying to find you?

JakeD2005
03-18-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm pretty sure it means the U-boat has been heard on sonar and is being tracked by way of sound pulses. Correct me if I'm wrong(which I probably am) BTW, how good is the sound of the pings?

stevenwhiting
03-18-2005, 04:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JakeD2005:
I'm pretty sure it means the U-boat has been heard on sonar and is being tracked by way of sound pulses. Correct me if I'm wrong(which I probably am) BTW, how good is the sound of the pings? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not a subsim nut but to me they sound good. Like in the films.

Alpha_456
03-18-2005, 04:19 PM
In simple words:

The dd sends a sound which reaches your sub and goes back to the dd.

That doesn't mean he allways detects you.
As this ping travels in water it fades away.
So it is possible that the ping that you hear never makes it back to the dd.

But bear in mind that the dd is pinging because it probably heard your noise through pasive sonar.So if you reduce your noise level
(silent running) he MIGHT not be able to "hear" you any more with his pasive sonar.
Pinging (active sonar) and its ability to detect you though has nothing to do with the noise you make.It is a matter whether you present your side at the dd so the "ping" has a surface large enough to bounce off and return to the dd.So if you go straight at him or away he has less chances to detect you.

Hope that helped you.

Keep calm and good hunting http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

stevenwhiting
03-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Thanks.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-18-2005, 08:06 PM
If you hear pings, it only means they know you're out there somewhere. If the pings are quiet it might mean they haven't found you. If they're getting louder they may have a bead on you. The best way to lose them is to run silent, go deep, and present a small target to the enemy so that the least amount of sound bounces back to them. You could also try to get a merchant between you and the destroyers.

Hans_Koenig
03-19-2005, 02:58 AM
Presenting a small target to the enemy and laying down to the sea floor should be ways to minimize active sonars.

My question is: are these features implemented in SH3?

(thermal layers are supposed to be in the game)

About passive sonar: is it influenced by activities other than the listening boat and the sub? i.e. exploding depth charges, sinking noises, other ships' propellers and so on.

stevenwhiting
03-19-2005, 05:33 AM
Thing is, I was 100 meters down, they were still pinging me, it was quite loud and fast. I eventually got away somehow.