PDA

View Full Version : RAM upgrade help

rmorgansmith
06-12-2006, 09:16 AM
I was advised that I would not benefit from upgrading my Dell XPS M-170 to the full 2 gig of RAM from it's current state of 1 gig as far as Pacific Fighters/IL-2FB/AEP installation. My tech said the game would never access the extra RAM and it would be a waste of money. Trying to fix the stuttering?freezing problems I have been having. Any input much appreciated.

rmorgansmith
06-12-2006, 09:16 AM
I was advised that I would not benefit from upgrading my Dell XPS M-170 to the full 2 gig of RAM from it's current state of 1 gig as far as Pacific Fighters/IL-2FB/AEP installation. My tech said the game would never access the extra RAM and it would be a waste of money. Trying to fix the stuttering?freezing problems I have been having. Any input much appreciated.

bogusheadbox
06-12-2006, 09:28 AM
That is correct. Unless you are running seperate sticks of ram ande therefore not in DDR mode.

But if you are. I cannot see a benefit of running 1 gig of ram over 2 gig of ram unless you like bumping to desktop.

vocatx
06-12-2006, 07:43 PM
I up-graded to 2 gigs a few months ago, and it definitely made things run smoother for me. I think it would be worth a try for you.

You can go to crucial.com and download a little app that will scan your computer and then give you a list of memory sticks that are guaranteed to be compatible with your computer.

WTE_Galway
06-12-2006, 08:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rmorgansmith:
I was advised that I would not benefit from upgrading my Dell XPS M-170 to the full 2 gig of RAM from it's current state of 1 gig as far as Pacific Fighters/IL-2FB/AEP installation. My tech said the game would never access the extra RAM and it would be a waste of money. Trying to fix the stuttering?freezing problems I have been having. Any input much appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The effective limit under windows XP is 2 GB of ram (though there is a boot.ini mod that allows a possible 3 GB). Windows Xp will simply not see any more ram tthan that.

Windows X64 will access 4Gb but not very well. In fact enabling the full 4Gb can cause driver issues. Aside from requiring a 64 bit processor, windows X64 is very poorly support for aftermarket drivers so its not really a good option for gaming use at this point in time.

The game will generally use some of the extra ram if you go to 2Gb but be aware that many DDR motherboards (especially with nvidia chipsets on the motherboard) are known to have problems if all 4 slots are full. If you go 2 Gb its best to do it by adding a matched pair (matched is essential for dual channel) of 1 Gb modules and getting rid of your existing ram.

rmorgansmith
06-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Much thanks for all the input, the memory configuration on my M-170 is two SODIMM slots, both are full as the owners manual says dual channel DDR2 functions best with both bays full so I would purchase two matched sticks of 1 gig each as JTE_Galway suggested, is there any real difference between manufacturers? I would think that Crucial, Corair, Kingston purchase from essentialy the same place and just take sticks that meet their specs? I would be interested if any experiences forum members have had.

vocatx
06-13-2006, 11:09 AM
I had great luck with Crucial. As long as you stick with a matched pair from a reputable company, and aren't doing any overclocking, I don't see why you would have any problems as long as you use a name brand. You might want to read this as well:

http://computershopper.com/4002-7409_9-6521024.html?tag=fnav

PACACE
06-13-2006, 02:58 PM
I'ld say more is better. The whole system is an issue always to me and yeah you probably don't need it and won't use it. Wait for a good price.

wiseguy73
06-14-2006, 09:23 AM
I had the same problems then I also upgraded. I had 1 gig ram then Added 3 more gigs. Things cant geat any smoother.
MO Abit 64 3500+, 4 Gig PC3200 Kingmax, 6800 Ultra, Win Xp SP2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

thefarb2
06-15-2006, 02:09 AM
newer motherboard is same price as gig of ram, has newer chipset, a gig is all you need if you have modern board.

T_Kang
06-22-2006, 06:06 PM
This is all great advice. Crucial has been great in performance and service! I also suggest the fastest speed your FSB can handle. On my system the DDR2@667Mhz is my bottleneck. Matching 2x1Gb sticks would be the way to go right now. Vista-64 can run 16Gb. The 2Gb sticks are real expensive and slow.