PDA

View Full Version : "ForceShaders1x" and water settings in conf.ini for ATI

Ruy Horta
10-31-2004, 09:13 AM
Okay have been playing around with the water settings in conf.ini and noticed a setting which I had no idea about:

ForceShaders1x=0

After setting this to =1 my water=2 option worked faster (10fps raise) and imho looked better than normal water=2.

Still I have no idea what this setting exactly does.

People who are using an ATI card and like to experiment should at least try and look at this setting, you might like it.

Again, I have no idea what it means or if it has been documented before etc etc etc, sorry for the waste of bandwitdh if it has, but I am happy and so might one or two other players.

RAAF_Edin
11-01-2004, 01:28 AM
I agree and can confirm that with my X800XT, that setting does exact same thing... set it to 1 and the water looks nices and the game runs with better frame-rate

bpk1970
11-01-2004, 01:36 AM
I noticed the same thing, Ruy Horta. Three-wire also posted on this finding.

The water color, texture and animation are much better with ForceShaders1x=1. FPS improves by 10-60 on my rig!

However, the big tradeoff is that the reflections of planes, ships, smoke, fire etc. on water is absent, just plainly-rendered shadows.

Nonetheless, I like the new water setting a lot more! In fact, it looks a lot like the old Perfect-mode water in FB/AEP, which I liked better than in PF.

Thanks,

BK

clint-ruin
11-01-2004, 02:21 AM
Seems to just be forcing it manually out of PS2.0 mode if it's detected.

Been having some fun with manually setting the vertex and pixel shader versions with ATITool, interesting results.

jason_peters
11-01-2004, 06:58 AM
Interesting in what way????

Think I'll chk out the shaders 1 tonight

9th_simplex
11-01-2004, 07:09 AM
Hi..

i saw this discussion about the forceshaders config.ini entry and so i wanted to ask something:
Does any kind of list exist what the rederer entries in the confi.ini are able to change? A list with possible values and their results would be nice..

beside water=x and effetcs=x i don't know anything...

Ruy Horta
11-01-2004, 09:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bpk1970:
Nonetheless, I like the new water setting a lot more! In fact, it looks a lot like the old Perfect-mode water in FB/AEP, which I liked better than in PF.

Thanks,

BK <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree 100%

The trade off is worth it.

Its a shame about the nice eye candy, but water is just too important.

However I am still undecided between water=1 and 2 with this extra setting.

widgeon
11-01-2004, 09:07 AM
Yes, it does change the water color-much more blue. The trade off appears to be a lack of shoreline wave action, and a somewhat less realistic rendering of the shallow water areas.

I've found leaving forceshader=0, and fiddling with the gamma, brightness, and contrast the water=1 could be lightened up a bit, and looks pretty good- although still dark blue.

Widgeon

JaBo_HH-BlackSheep
11-01-2004, 11:28 AM
it forces the GFX-Card to use Shader 1.

when i use it my water 1 looks exaclty the way it used to look on my GeforceTI4200 (wich has PS:1).