PDA

View Full Version : custom skins as default ?

Hristos
05-10-2005, 02:00 AM

Hristos
05-10-2005, 02:00 AM

tigertalon
05-10-2005, 02:09 AM
Voted in favour, good idea IMO.

F19_Olli72
05-10-2005, 02:44 AM
Also, i would wish for more "map relate" defaults. In desert maps for 109 and other planes etc to change to desertcamo just as they change to wintercamo on wintermaps.

ImpStarDuece
05-10-2005, 02:55 AM
Voted yes, but I think that F19-Olli72's idea is better.

It would help A LOT with desert and Pacific scenarios if there were more map specific defaults. Having a European green Spitfire vs a German grey 109 on the destert map irks me a little.

Hristos
05-10-2005, 04:04 AM
With the number of high quality custom skins around, theater default would not be to hard to implement.

Beckh_3.JG51
05-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Great idea.

Atomic_Marten
05-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Voted yes, of course. Some custom skins are way better than anything in game..

I still remember particularly two skins for D9s. Those are two among very *BEST* skins I have ever saw (any aircraft included). That by any means could not be better.

FW190D9 "Black 8" -- Hammerd
FW190D9 Wuebke's "Rotte 3" -- CannonUK

A must have for all of you FW190 fans.

There are many many more, but these comes first on my mind because I have flew D9 lately, so I remember these.

Hristos
05-10-2005, 02:27 PM
also, this one by CanonUK

http://www.canons-skins.com/dortenmann.jpg

ElAurens
05-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Several of the default skins in PF are already custom jobs done by Hammerd.

The early P40s, for example.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bearcat99
05-10-2005, 07:01 PM
What we need is an assignable default skin.... that way whatever skin an individual had set as default for a particular plane would load from thier own skin folders.. no lag... no fuss. If it were assignable..

Covino
05-10-2005, 07:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
What we need is an assignable default skin.... that way whatever skin an individual had set as default for a particular plane would load from thier own skin folders.. no lag... no fuss. If it were assignable.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That may lead to people making bright and multi-colored skins as default for better visibility. I'm not saying I care but more organized and serious competitions and players may find it to be a problem.

FlatSpinMan
05-10-2005, 08:55 PM
I agree but again am mysteriously unable to cast my vote. I think it's a great idea though. Decent default skins would show this game off even more than now.

==========================================

csThor
05-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Sure, why not? But then we'll have to keep the skins as generic as possible - no unit-specific camouflage patterns, no unit-specific tactical markings, no Reich Defense Tailbands for late-war german skins ... Thatswhy I would argue against using highly individual skins (as W├╝bke's D-9 from JV44 or a Bf 109 F from II./JG 54 from 1941).

Of course selecting a unit and see a correct skin for said unit would be excellent, but I don't think our PC's would be able to run with that an amount of texture blocking memory.

Freakbrother
05-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Better would be to change some of the ugly defaultskins.
Zeke, Rufe, E-4, G-2,.... skins are realy a shame http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Badsight.
05-11-2005, 01:20 AM
i would LOVE to be able to assign default skins from the custom ones i have

would be fantastic

Bearcat99
05-12-2005, 09:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Covino:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
What we need is an assignable default skin.... that way whatever skin an individual had set as default for a particular plane would load from thier own skin folders.. no lag... no fuss. If it were assignable.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That may lead to people making bright and multi-colored skins as default for better visibility. I'm not saying I care but more organized and serious competitions and players may find it to be a problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never thought of that but you are probably right. Bummer.. it would be a nice feature though... either that or the ability to define a default skin to static AC only.

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-13-2005, 06:35 AM
I just know something could be done to improve the "skin" aspect of the game. It's not a deal-breaker for me and never has been, but I've said since release that it's ashame we don't have a little more latitude in their assignment.

Skinning is an art that more than a few have been able to master (but not me...I'm a photographer too!) and the results of their craft are all over the place. Some are truly amazing and the talent pool is growing. Too bad we can't exploit it more.

TB

SpartanHoplite
05-14-2005, 09:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
I just know something could be done to improve the "skin" aspect of the game. It's not a deal-breaker for me and never has been, but I've said since release that it's ashame we don't have a little more latitude in their assignment.

Skinning is an art that more than a few have been able to master (but not me...I'm a photographer too!) and the results of their craft are all over the place. Some are truly amazing and the talent pool is growing. Too bad we can't exploit it more.

TB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here here!

SH

F19_Ob
05-18-2005, 04:22 AM
I very much like options but/and I'm always looking for a more fluid game with as much objects as possible.
I used to replace the objectskins and planeskins, and groundtextures in all older sims (where possible) and that way be able to use about the double ammount of objects with negible eycandyloss.
Soundfiles normally can be reduced with half aswell.

So, I belive the possibility to replace all default skins to lower res, from planes to objects would be great. And it only would affect your own system with skindownload off.
The ones with a bit slower systems would still be in the game then.

-----------------------------------

One idea.....think about just lowering res 25% on the fantastic detailed trees. That would allow 25% more trees in groups with no extra cost and what I belive neglible eycandyloss.

So some sliders to reduce objects, trees, clouds and planes individually aswell as the possibility to replace the default textures on everything with lower res, wich only affects your system would be a fantastic option and allow lowend systems to be a part of the great features in the sim.

Just working the grey mass a bit.....cheers lads.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Frenchminem
05-18-2005, 06:30 AM
I'd like, to be able to assign a skin to HIS real squad...
I mean, skinners make mostly real planes... and we just can't really use them...
but Imagine, that a data management could be made, to load a skin to his corresponding squad... (as It's not possible to get all skins of a real suqad... It could work with folders... a squad, or flight folder... with all the real historical skins inside, and a generic one... with defaut IL2 marking system... now, the game built a mission, where the JG27 is flying... and load automaticately the appropriate skins, giving priority to real skins.. and complete with generated generic ones depending on the number of planes flying...
maybe we could even assign a plane to his real owner... so you could know If you're fighting Marseille, or Trauloft... or others... (if you know the camo... )or simply recognize a squadron... (then you can know where they're coming from... (and tactic advantage, if they got to make oil economies... if homebase is far... for example...)
(maybe a REAL DATA MANAGER COULD BE CREATE... TO ADD AS MUCH AS REALISM INTO THE GAME...)
(such data could be kept, for any other future game too...) (maybe the community could make It... to get a follow of each plane, each pilot during war... and reimplant them ingame... with as much true data as possible... (imagine you could shot down hartman, before he became an AS... how many planes would be saved on URSS side!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif)
well, it's just an idea, but for me that's what realism is... ( the FB engine allow yet to customize ALL the skins of a mission, (in quick mission builder mode, and it didn't change a lot the FPS... for me...) but not in campaigns...
WHAT DO PEOPLE THINK OF SUCH AN IDEA!!???
i'd really prefer this, than having better graphics...

Jumoschwanz
05-19-2005, 09:56 AM
How about just enabling skin download on the online servers? Most servers disabled it because of the pauses caused by it.
But I think most of the guys flying on the big servers with 20-50 players are all broadband and could handle it now. Especially if they flew regularly on some servers with mostly the same guys their net-cache would quickly have just about every avaliable skin in it anyway so it would not have to be gotten through download.

Three years ago I had every skin for this sim in the world in my net-cache and I was on 56k. There were some pauses but not many. I thought it was sad when all the servers turned off skin-download.
S!
Jumoschwanz

Frenchminem
05-20-2005, 03:55 AM
you're right Jumoschwanz !!
it's a good request... I don't play online, and never tried, cuz i'm waiting for my hispeed connection to be avaible in the village... soon, very soon now!!
I though Online gaming was the last palce were skin where kings... with each player having HIS personal skin.. and so could recognize a player, only by viewing his plane...
but as you say it... well.. i'm going a bit disapointed... (not only a bit in fact http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif)
It's true that skins musn't eat so much...
what a pity!!

RogueSnake79
05-20-2005, 08:08 AM
Bump Bump! This is a great idea, I've been wanting it for the longest time.

My problem is, I mostly play online. And I always keep Skin DL truned off(56ker) So I hardly ever get to see some of the beutiful skins we have. Just the one I use. We do have some really nice default skins, P40\B\C and the Corsairs. But thats about it.

Not to slap those who made the default skins in the face. They just did'nt have the time to put as much work into them as we have. Thus the lack of detail. So, bump bump http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif