PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for a "certain death" mission.

Worf101
05-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Okay, I'm trying to be a good Kiwi and fly my Brewster Buffalo. It's woefully inadequate as a fighter but I've managed to score my share of kills. However the idiots at Ops now want our 6 measley Buff's to tackle a fully operational Jap airbase in January of 1942. So off we go.. and we're properly slaughtered. What the Zekes and Kates don't carve up, via boom and zoom the four multi gun batteries on the ground finish.

Done the mission 5 times (and you have to fly a helluva long time to get killed on this map) and all 5 times black scree o' death. I come in high, I'm killed, I hedge hop, I'm killed. Wait for everyone we're ALL killed. I'm ready to quit the damn campaign altogether. In real life I'd a "developed engine trouble" and turned for home about halfway there... Can't do that with no "instant success" button enabled...

Sigh... what can I do... Keep dying?

Da Worfster

MLudner
05-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Die with honor and do it like a man. That's the way it goes in war sometimes.

Just ask the Spartans. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

AVG_WarHawk
05-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Hats off to the Kiwi pilots http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

SithSpeeder
05-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Keep altitude in the sense of always have an advantage of at least 1000m above your highest enemy. Screw the goals of the mission...if you don't survive, what's the point? My advice is control your AI wingman with your commands, assuming your are flight lead (REJOIN! works pretty well).

Keep saying REJOIN to them as you approach and keep your altitude. Make one pass, drop your ordinance, and get the heck out. That's the only thing that has ever worked for me.

* _54th_Speeder *

tagTaken2
05-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Edit it in the full mission builder... and in future, don't tick the *no instant success* button.

LEBillfish
05-22-2006, 11:47 PM
"Any tips for a "certain death" mission."

Don't go.............run to canada, grow your hair long, protest that you hate the man and the system..........then become a stock broker voting republican so you won't get burned for the insider trading as you drive your Hummer SUV to the airport to fly to the caribbean so you can smoke a spliff and proclaim.....

"Glad I never sold out" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif "where can I get a Wall Street Journal in this Island rat hole?" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

WTE_Galway
05-23-2006, 12:01 AM
What happens if you turn back and just land at a friendly airbase ??? Doesnt that bypass the no instant success ?

I am almost certian it works for me even on "full real" with dgen. If I land and come to a full stop at a friendly base I automatically get "mission completed".

If not, I assume you are at also a low rank and cannot command the rest of the flight. One work around if you want to keep the other guys out of action is to call ground control and ask for assistance. 9 times out of 10 your flight will then just dumbly circle the point you called from. You could then dump your ordinance early gain lots of altitude and make a mad high speed fly over of the base.

Rammjaeger
05-23-2006, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Worf101:
Okay, I'm trying to be a good Kiwi and fly my Brewster Buffalo. It's woefully inadequate as a fighter but I've managed to score my share of kills. However the idiots at Ops now want our 6 measley Buff's to tackle a fully operational Jap airbase in January of 1942. So off we go.. and we're properly slaughtered. What the Zekes and Kates don't carve up, via boom and zoom the four multi gun batteries on the ground finish.

Done the mission 5 times (and you have to fly a helluva long time to get killed on this map) and all 5 times black scree o' death. I come in high, I'm killed, I hedge hop, I'm killed. Wait for everyone we're ALL killed. I'm ready to quit the damn campaign altogether. In real life I'd a "developed engine trouble" and turned for home about halfway there... Can't do that with no "instant success" button enabled...

Sigh... what can I do... Keep dying?

Da Worfster

Carved up by Kates? A fighter getting attacked by torpedo bombers must make for a weird situation http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Interesting, I've finished the RNZAF Singapore campaign last year and never had impossibly difficult missions given. In the IJA fighter campaign though the 5th or 6th mission in Malaya begun with six of us IJA pilots in Hayabusas preparing for takeoff while 24 RAF fighters were 5 kms away, diving onto us. Now THAT was an undoable mission.

I don't know that much about aerial combat but I have 2 suggestions:

#1: try using the Buffalo as a dive bomber. No joke, Dutch pilots were actually doing it in Indonesia. Don't expect to outrun any Japanese fighter in a Buffalo. Won't happen. Well, I think you already know that. However, chances are you'll get into a situation wherein you'll have to try just that. If you're doing ground attack, you have the element of surprise. And that you'll have to turn to your advantage.

Approach enemy airfield at 2000-2500 m and do dive bombing - radiator open, engine power reduced. Drop the bombs before Japanese fighters can get prepared for interception, close radiator, max. power, keep up speed and get the hell out of there. Make sure your wingman stays with you. If you ARE a wingman, head straight home no matter what! Ignore your leader, chances are he will keep doing suicidal things like repeating the attack or going after enemy fighters; if you try protecting that idiot, you'll get killed. Head straight towards friendly territory but stay far away from enemy airfields. If enemy fighters get behind you, don't panic - no enemy AI can outturn the Buffalo, so just keep turning, call your wingman, hit "anyyone help me" or "request assistance".

A6M Zeros will quickly expend the ammunition of their wing cannons, and they aren't able to do much damage with twin 7.7 mm guns (same applies to Hayabusas, of course). When 1-2 friendlies arrive, chances are you'll be able to break up the intercepting enemy fighters into planes fighting alone (in other words, it all degenerates into a bloody mess). When you see no enemy fighter behind you, that's the time to start heading home, full throttle. If a friendly is in trouble, only help him if a) there are no other enemy fighters in the area b) he is close and low enough so you have a chance to close up with the enemy fighter. Otherwise, ignore him/them.

OK, that was the more difficult option.

#2: ignore the airfield altogether and prey on the defenseless and unsuspecting. If you are in some higher rank, stalk the roads in enemy territory with the other fighters under your command, find a japanese column and blast it into oblivion. If you are in lower rank, do it alone. Make sure you stay away from enemy airfields. When all ammo and bombs are expended, at least try flying from waypoint to waypoint while maintaining high altitude, and avoid combat. However, if you don't want to take risks, just head home and land. AFAIK you'll get MISSION COMPLETE message.

Good luck!

R988z
05-23-2006, 02:23 PM
ha! Try the wake island campaign, one mission there was TWO F4F-3s against what seemed like a zillion A6Ms and D3As, but probably more like 16 of them. And the best part? you were on the runway and they were about 2mins away, at altitude, heading to bomb you.

WTE_Galway
05-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Double checked this last night.

In my full switch P40 New Guinea campaign landing back at home base on the main runway and coming to a full stop gave "mission complete" even if you I had not completed the objectives.

Landing at some of the other smaller airfields did not necessarily give this message so it seems not all friendly bases count.

If you wanted to play it safe for a dangerous mission, you could do a quick circuit after initial takeoff land immediately and then takeoff again before proceeding with the mission. This would alow you to quit at anytime things got sticky and still proceed to the next mission.

Rammjaeger
05-24-2006, 03:04 AM
In fact, if you manage to land your aircraft in own territory with any amount of damage done - wings/gear getting ripped off while landing etc. - you get mission complete. However, if you get shot down and bail out, you'll get MISSION FAILED even if you safely land in own territory.

There was one mission in the Slovakian campaign which I could finish even though my engine got shot up by a Pe-2 gunner and I had to do emergency landing behind enemy lines. it was obviously a bug (maybe because I already got MISSION COMPLETE by then) so don't count on that in a similar situation.

R988z
05-24-2006, 09:10 AM
Actually I'm in an RN Seafire campaign atm and last night got hit by a lucky shot from the enemy and bailed out wounded at sea, fairly close to the enemy held island. Yet I still got a mission complete, the timeline just skipped a few days ahead and at the next briefing the text said 'welcome back after your recovery' or something like that!

Worf101
05-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Welp I finished it... I took RamJaegers advice... I and my wing man found a nice couple of Jap truck convoys midway to the target. Afer laying much of them to waste we scooted home and ended the mission before we or even my other A.I. squadmates got tore a new one. Onward and upward to the next mission!!!

Only problem is, knowing DGen as I do.... we'll be sent there again soon... I'm absolutely sure. One other thing Whazzup with Ops sending Hurricanes to clear our path and not giving them enough gas TO GET HOME!!!! We lost 4 perfectly good Hurricanes cause they ran out of petrol in enemy territory!! Are any of the brass hats thinking down there?

Da Worfster

MLudner
05-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Actually, the Buffalo is not that bad a plane. It is - according to British tests - more maneuverable than a Spitfire. In game it is very agile and I have been able to get onto and stick on the tails of both Ace AI Ki-43's and A6M2's. The most serious problem is that the Zeroes and Oscars are faster and a bit more maneuverable.

But, since a Buffalo can compete in maneuverability I try to get them into turn fights and out-fly the AI, which is a bit of a trick.

I dread using the Wildcat against Zeroes and Oscars much more, because not only is the Wildcat slower it is far, far less maneuverable. Completely out-classed, your only hope is to stay high so that you can dive away, get far enough out, then climb back up and dive down on them again.

A quick hit and run like you described also works, though.

Jane's WWI Fighters had some "No-win" missions in their campaign .... I beat them by figuring out why they were no win by flying it a few times then running a by-pass. In one you appear in flight in bomb-equipped Me262's, the objective being to destroy an American commo site. If you fly the actual wayset you will die because you will get jumped by a couple of dozen P-51D's who appear above and coming diving down on you and your two wingmen before you can get to the objective. If you try to just run at the objective you won't make it because a diving P-51 in Jane's is faster than a 262 carrying bombs. If you jettison your bombs and fight back you can't accomplish the mission.

Catch-22.

I disregarded the wayset and my wingmen (who always fly the wayset no matter what you do) and made bee-line from the point where I appeared to the objective. Bombed the first building in my first pass in a steep dive that left my Schwalbe shuddering when I leveled-off. A P-51 still dove down and fired at me, but I pulled away before he could do any real damage. I was then chased by about 8 P-51's as I made a wide circuit, then made a strafing run with cannons on the lone M16 MGMC guarding the site and destroyed it. I then made another wide circuit, climbing when I was far enough ahead of the Mustangs that they would not catch-up. I then bombed the second building, destroyed it and made my way back to base.

If the game designer cheats, then so do I. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

WTE_Galway
05-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Worf101:
Welp I finished it... I took RamJaegers advice... I and my wing man found a nice couple of Jap truck convoys midway to the target. Afer laying much of them to waste we scooted home and ended the mission before we or even my other A.I. squadmates got tore a new one. Onward and upward to the next mission!!!

Only problem is, knowing DGen as I do.... we'll be sent there again soon... I'm absolutely sure. One other thing Whazzup with Ops sending Hurricanes to clear our path and not giving them enough gas TO GET HOME!!!! We lost 4 perfectly good Hurricanes cause they ran out of petrol in enemy territory!! Are any of the brass hats thinking down there?

Da Worfster

Actually am pretty sure that DGEN by default gives everything a full tank of gas (sometimes you need to manually change that in a scramble)and hurricanes do not get drop tanks so the problem is either the dgen sent them on far too long a mission or the idiot AI pilots decided to keep dogfighting long after the fuel situation became critical and they should have turned tail and ran.

There is a program called quick mission tuner that seems to work with dgen created missions that you could probably use to edit these random ridiculous mission that dgen ocasionally throws at you.

Another good tool is IL2 STAB which lets you play with the dgen settings to optimise what missions it creates for you.